Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 07:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I believe he means that he had a long winded, detailed response typed out on several occasions and then thought better than to submit and deleted it instead. It may be due to the concept of pearls to swine, avoiding a time out, or a bit of both.
Yes. And I usually have something snark filled. Which, while apt, is not in the spirit of the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 09:53 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Mmm... Yeah, yanno, I just feel like wishing bad outcomes upon people ain't cool. I mean, somebody has to be a supreme a-hole for me to feel that way. Moongirl here doesn't meet the bar.

Like I'm pretty sure, that whatever possible bad outcome she believes could be a result of getting "the jab" she does not actually WISH it on anybody. Me. Or you. Or you.

Know what? I don't have a doctor right now, myself. Actually I'm supremely frustrated with the whole doctor situation. I am supposed to be having my thyroid monitored. I have been trying to find a doctor that will take new patients and so far the only ones I've found are booked out until March or later. I had the same problem with my regular doctor in Colorado before I moved, they were booked out forever and couldn't see me, and I actually had my freaking gynecologist order the thyroid labs and give me the results because I told her I was struggling to get in to see my regular doc, and she was part of the same group and had access to my records, so she could get it done, and she did.

Is anyone else having trouble getting appointments, especially for like, regular stuff, with doctors lately?

My husband is having the same issue I am, and he needs prescriptions managed and refilled...he got his old Doc to call it in, to a pharmacy in Colorado and then transferred it here, but that only lasted a month...and he just went to an Urgent Care to get their help with a refill because of this stupid nonsense. He has an appointment...but yeah, it's in March.

Ya know, I used to hear certain folks say that Nationalized healthcare was a bad idea because in those other countries like Canada, you have long waits to see your doctor, like months and so on... Um, sure seems to be happening here now. And I hear nothing but good things from my friends overseas about their healthcare systems.

I've been having a bad time even with "good" insurance and I'm more than a little bit tired of it.
I heard the same horror stories about France’s National Healthcare System when I was contemplating moving here. It was complete BS. I am quite pleased with the level of care that we receive here and I’ve never had to wait an extraordinary amount of time for an appointment or to have a procedure. I’ve never heard one friend or family member complain about not being able to see a doctor or get a procedure done in a timely manner.
It’s inexpensive, dental, mental and optical are included. Plus your healthcare isn’t tied to your job. If you lose your job… you still keep your healthcare rather than going without or being shuttled into an expensive plan like COBRA. (Health care here is compulsory…and virtually every French citizen is covered.)

Old 12-16-2021, 12:42 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
People were paid here to disparage Canada's Healthcare system. A well funded and well organized campaign to discourage US from wanting the same services.

It worked. Here we are.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-16-2021, 07:15 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have learned enough in the world to know that I don't know much, and the notion I've seen so touted ("do your own research") is horrific advice. There are precious few people able to do their own research on such an issue (or any incredibly complex issue), and I'm a Ph.D./M.D. and decades worth of research far away from making an educated decision on this one.

I very much disagree on this. A tiny tiny percentage of people are qualified to weed through the information and make informed decisions from it. Lets not even broach the abundant misinformation ( infertility, blah blah). What is just as bad, if not worse, is people (I've seen it a lot on CD) posting legitimate information, and then butchering the interpretation. No understanding that correlation /= causation. No rudimentary understanding of statistics. Heck, a score of times, at least, I've seen people post journal blips on how "natural immunity" results in just as strong a protection of the vaccine, while ignoring the real take away of the study which was those with covid antibodies from previous infections benefitted greatly from receiving the vaccine. I only have a MS in biology, so no, I'm not qualified to really weed through all the details and nuance, but people either purposefully or out of ignorance misrepresent what they post.

It's pretty simple. Speak to your doctor. Listen to the experts. If what they say doesn't move you, well, that's scary.

But yeah, I doubt I'm persuading anyone, anymore. I agree with that. It's just frustrating.
It irritates me when people talk about "do your own research." Yes, go back to school, get your M.D. and/or Ph.D., go into immunology, then work in vaccine development. That is how you "do your own research" concerning vaccines.

From what I've seen, a lot of the people who go on about "do your own research" probably got no higher than a C in their high school biology.

This is how it tends to go:

The best part is that these people who go on with their skepticism over science and medicine then suddenly believe in science and medicine when they are in the emergency department and need care.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:08 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Doing my own research has included deciding what people to listen to. I knew who a lot of the reputable people were already, so that helped.

Nothing on YouTube is on my list.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-16-2021, 09:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
It irritates me when people talk about "do your own research." Yes, go back to school, get your M.D. and/or Ph.D., go into immunology, then work in vaccine development. That is how you "do your own research" concerning vaccines.

From what I've seen, a lot of the people who go on about "do your own research" probably got no higher than a C in their high school biology.

Agreed. I literally had one of these tell me this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
The whole "correlation does not equal causation" thing is what we would call a logical fallacy.
Which screams to the world, both that he has never taken statistics, but that they never took logic/rhetoric/debate either. Of course they made another account so he could agree with himself. Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
The best part is that these people who go on with their skepticism over science and medicine then suddenly believe in science and medicine when they are in the emergency department and need care.
Truth.

We have seen a couple of requests for religious exemptions come through with the vaccine mandate. In both cases based on the stem cell issue. Turns out in both cases they're on meds that were tested on stem cells. Almost every single medicine developed in the last 20+ years, and many over the counter meds/products, have been tested on stem cells. They're waivers were rejected. They obviously weren't sincere beliefs. One had a note from their church pastor as well and the note basically said something along the lines of "we encourage our parishioners to pray on it". Good one.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:41 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Doing my own research has included deciding what people to listen to. I knew who a lot of the reputable people were already, so that helped.

Nothing on YouTube is on my list.
I know it makes me sound super old, but I truly believe that most legit doctors, public health officials, virologists, etc. are out doing the real work and don't have time to be making a constant stream of youtube videos and tiktoks. Which isn't to say that no experts ever legitimately appear on social media, but generally they have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-16-2021 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 09:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know it makes me sound super old, but I truly believe that most legit doctors, public health officials, virologists, etc. are out doing the real work and don't have time to be making a constant stream of youtube videos and tiktoks.
They don't.

The ones on platforms like that are mostly grifters. They're self promoting themselves to sell books, clicks, or programs like "improve your immune system in 11 easy steps" or whatever nonsense.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:19 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They don't.

The ones on platforms like that are mostly grifters. They're self promoting themselves to sell books, clicks, or programs like "improve your immune system in 11 easy steps" or whatever nonsense.
Right, when everyone knows you can improve your immune system with 8 easy steps. If you're going to delude yourself, at least save those 3 steps.

Snark over. I'm not dooming anything, but the past 5-6 years punctuated by the pandemic tell me we have some real work to do to move forward as a country. To avoid moving backwards.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:34 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
As a holder of a couple of "useless" liberal arts degrees, one of the things I'm grateful for is that I learned really well how to evaluate the validity of sources and to track down the provenance of claims and ideas through the research I had to do. Over the past few years that skill has come in very handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships