Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 02:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My supervisor just dropped on me yesterday that we are to have a company "Christmas party" in early Jan. We just had a Christmas party yesterday here in our local office, but we're a separate group from them, it's kind of a long story. I say this to my supervisor, what about the party here, he said, well, our main group is out of state.

I'm like by the time Jan rolls around and after New Year's I'm feeling kind of done with the Holidays and holiday parties. The company party is on a Saturday as well.

So, I would have to take a flight, get a hotel, and a rental car. Drive 30 plus miles from the airport all for a 3-hour Christmas party? All with people I never have to really interact with much? The company would pay for it all of course. It would also essentially kill my weekend as well, fly up on Saturday and come back on Sunday.

I feel like it's kind of a big ask, at least to me.

I know you could look at it as a fun paid for trip, but it doesn't feel that way to me. I've been to that city before, don't care to go again and at the end of the day, it feels too much like a work thing. I did this same thing a few years ago, not Christmas but a company party. It was a pain in the ass then and it will be again. I don't want to have to fuss with travel for something like this.

Yeah, I know, first world problems.

I had to let them know yesterday if I was planning on going. I took a pass.

I try to be a team player and get along with my coworkers and all of that, but just let me have my weekends, as much as possible please.
Ditto for me, if this was my situation

Too much effort for very little reward. My weekends are sacrosanct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 03:52 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Ditto for me, if this was my situation

Too much effort for very little reward. My weekends are sacrosanct.
I just reached out to the teeth cleaner , and he too said that it was too much work for the reward and wasn't going.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I just reached out to the teeth cleaner , and he too said that it was too much work for the reward and wasn't going.
At first I thought, why is Chow talking about his hygienist - and then I remembered your sicko colleague who picks his teeth at the table. Ha!

Old 12-11-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
At first I thought, why is Chow talking about his hygienist - and then I remembered your sicko colleague who picks his teeth at the table. Ha!
It's kind of weird because the guy is basically smart and otherwise normal. Not sure why he can't manage to wait til lunch is over and go to bathroom at the office to handle his business.

Lol, strange.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:25 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
What a weekend...and not in a good way... You ever have a day where every little thing becomes a series of frustrating little obstacles so that it takes way more time and effort than it should? My weekend was a whole bunch of that, set to the soundtrack of irritating retail holiday music. Like, I have found, given a big problem that would be very upsetting to some people I've known, I am calm and capable. Real problems, I can solve. But load me down with tiny annoyances and I'm just ready to snap. To reference a thing I saw on Facebook recently, I was thinking, "This just ain't natural. A possum wouldn't put up with this. I'm going to bite someone."

Like, I had to "pick up a few things" at the store. Store after store did not have one thing I wanted to buy, I made the mistake of not eating anything before I left, and I'm trying to break in new shoes so my feet were hurting. And some pop star is doing a weird vocal fry thing over the repetitive sound of fake jingle bells on the PA system and people (and their kids) are all in each other's way. Get me out of here before somebody gets a festive gnome statue right upside the head I swear...

I'm so glad I don't work in retail. My heart is with all retail workers, every day and especially during the holidays.

Better news, my son passed his second drug test which was the one Big Anxious Thing we've been waiting for that would determine if he could stay and continue what he's doing at Job Corps. So all of our plans and hopes go forward on that end. So the BIG stress, is now ~sigh~ relieved.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:22 AM

SS, you just described a few of the plethora of reasons I do most all my shopping online. It has saved me so many hours of wasted time hunting for some obscure item, dealing with throngs of irritants, dealing with incompetent and/or apathetic staff, road ragers and other maladaptive road sharers, inclement weather, etc. etc. Not to mention the toll it was taking on my spoons. (If you're familiar with the spoon theory, you know what I mean.)

Now with Amazon Fresh, I can have my groceries delivered for free too. And they have some good deals, lemme tell ya. I just bought snack bags of Dietz Nuts for $0.39 each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hlx561qYKg

Old 12-12-2022, 11:01 AM

There must be a shortage still of Sriracha sauce. My local Ralphs has been out for months now. I made a quickie curry chicken last night and used the last of my bottle.

This madness can't go on, we need our rooster sauce man!!

Old 12-12-2022, 11:08 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
There must be a shortage still of Sriracha sauce. My local Ralphs has been out for months now. I made a quickie curry chicken last night and used the last of my bottle.

This madness can't go on, we need our rooster sauce man!!

I heard something about there being a shortage of that, though I didn't see the reasons why.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-12-2022, 12:37 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
The price of eggs is through the roof! Regular price is about $5.50 for a dozen store brand large eggs like...what the heck... Today I got a coupon through the Safeway app, which despite my annoyance with the very concept I finally caved and downloaded just to save some $$. (Really, it's dumb to nudge people to be on their phones in the aisles of the store, like people aren't in each other's way enough...) So I got eggs for 3.27 today, which is still in my opinion on the high side.

It was quiet at the self checkout so I asked the rather matronly looking woman who was working as attendant up there, what is UP with the price of eggs...? And she said, "Oh, they had to kill some chickens." I raised an eyebrow at her, expecting some sort of follow up to that statement, like...why?...and she just shrugged her substantial shoulders at me and meandered off.

I mean, I'm gonna just assume that the chickens were diseased or something, rather than that they were like...executed for plotting against Old MacDonald. Poultry sedition! A coup in the coop!

(I know, I know...don't quit your day job...I won't...)

Old 12-12-2022, 05:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Avian influenza resulted in culling of millions and millions of animals this year, it was quite bad.

Impacted pheasant and quail farms as well, and of course turkey farms, which is one of the reasons turkey was more expensive this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships