Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2020, 03:11 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times

Advertisements

This is definitely civil unrest on a wide scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 03:17 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I am from LA, Echo Park area. Its a very urban sprawl but what I was getting at is there are pockets considered wealthy and pockets considered inner city, or hood.

We usually think of riots or looting occurring in the hood, so I was surprised its actually going on in the wealthy areas. Rodeo Drive is as wealthy as it gets. Frankly I am rather shocked that is happening.

In Wilmington, I can see it, but Beverly Hills? Its alarming, to me. Has just increased the seriousness of this event in my eyes (because of the fact the rioters are apparently too numerous to be stoppable by the authorities, at this time).
Sorry, I assumed you weren't from around here. Didn't mean to over-explain the area layout.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sorry, I assumed you weren't from around here. Didn't mean to over-explain the area layout.
No worries, it may be helpful to Sonic who has never been to LA and asked about it.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:22 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Yikes, about the store across the street.

I deeply hope that you stay safe and that there is no damage to your persons or property.

Sorry, I know the "tsk tsk" think came off...critical. I'm trying to say that I don't feel like my opinion, approval or condemnation, really matters. And when I say hijinks, shenanigans, mayhem, I'm generally saying that some showed up under cover of the protests or using them as an excuse, to do everything from teenage mischief (I've seen tons of young people out getting up to trouble) to attempts to actually start a civil war. With both political sides pointing at the extremes on the OTHER side saying, "It's all their fault!" I suspect that there are extremists on both/any/all sides who see this as an opportunity. Of course I am not at all happy about destruction or violence. I love cities and hate to see them destroyed.

Part of my frustrated feelings here is that I wish the police would really be focusing their efforts on going after people who are out there to do crime, but I feel like they are escalating things on purpose in a lot of places because they want to play soldier against the crowds. And after all...the police not doing as they should, is kind of the original point of all this.

My little brother lives in Fredericksburg, VA. A lot of historical structures that go back to the colonial days is either being damaged or is at risk of destruction. Even though our nation's history can be morally ugly sometimes, I hate to see that happen. Except in the case of Richmond's confederate monuments...I kinda think they should leave the graffiti on them. The city voted to have them removed, but the state (pre Dem leadership) stepped in and halted their removal. Many of the people in that town really, really hate those statues.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:35 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have never been to LA. I've seen plenty in movies like everyone, but I don't know much about the actual layout of the city. Is the looting happening in areas where peaceful protests are also happening? Or further out from city centers/municipal protest targets, too? Are looters doing smash & grab tactics in suburbs or areas that are away from the protests? I've actually been surprised this is not happening more, because the thing is....the cops are all downtown. There won't be as many police available right now, to respond to crime in other parts of the city. They're a little busy.

There will be a lot of variation in different areas, as certainly both the way cities are laid out AND the human composition of said cities varies quite a bit. And I think that the biggest cities are going to draw more out-of-towners looking to cause mayhem and trouble, than the smaller ones. Minneapolis was obviously ground zero, but that aside, LA, NYC, DC, Atlanta...yeah, I never questioned that there will be big, violent activity happening there. Things are starting to calm somewhat here in Colorado. But we're damn near flyover country here, excepting the fact that the Californians apparently move here when they get tired of paying the cost of living in CA.

I'm not really interested in talking about whether I "condone" rioting or looting. I have kinda reached a place where I'm like...not seeing any point in my shaking a finger and going "tsk tsk" at anybody. I believe that those who are committing destruction and violence are often not affiliated with BLM or any org with a right to a horse in this race...and that their actions are not in accordance with the wishes of the actual movement. I think that they are a potent mix of extremists, undercover cop agents, and young people. They aren't doing what they're doing, because they're full of righteous anger. They are full of hijinks and shenanigans. I feel that the rightful protests are nothing but an excuse for them.

That's just what I believe, though.

I just watched a video where a group of black protesters caught a few young white adults who were breaking windows and looting, and called cops over to arrest them, and the cops arrested the black protesters and let the white looters go. I wish I'd remembered to check what city that was in. It's all blurring together sometimes.
And the bolded is why the riots and civil unrest will continue. Because these bozos don't know how to do their job right. The racial bias is deep but it's also poor training. These cops are out here running around full of adrenaline and ready to jump on someone. It's infuriating.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:38 PM

Now I am just wondering if the authorities are in control of the situation. If 1000s of people gather, what can 15 or 30 cops do to control 1000s of people if that crowd becomes violent?

Unless a person wants anarchy, civil war, or a coup,...then this would be a good thing. But I am getting the sense things are getting out of control now. At least in certain urban centers.

I dont live in LA currently, its very peaceful in my small southwest town now, so I have been out of touch with whats going on elsewhere.

I guess thats why they are calling in the national guard and stuff?

Old 06-02-2020, 03:44 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
And the bolded is why the riots and civil unrest will continue. Because these bozos don't know how to do their job right. The racial bias is deep but it's also poor training. These cops are out here running around full of adrenaline and ready to jump on someone. It's infuriating.
I watched a movie over the weekend set in 1968 where the Black Panthers were part of the story. Everything they were saying still applies today--over 50 years later and nothing has changed.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Now I am just wondering if the authorities are in control of the situation. If 1000s of people gather, what can 15 or 30 cops do to control 1000s of people if that crowd becomes violent?

Unless a person wants anarchy, civil war, or a coup,...then this would be a good thing. But I am getting the sense things are getting out of control now. At least in certain urban centers.

I dont live in LA currently, its very peaceful in my small southwest town now, so I have been out of touch with whats going on elsewhere.

I guess thats why they are calling in the national guard and stuff?

Small southwest town sounds great. I'd prefer a small to medium size town.

I literally daydream about getting out of Southern California. I just can't take it here anymore.

Everything here is just too much, too much traffic, too expensive, too crowded.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Small southwest town sounds great. I'd prefer a small to medium size town.

I literally daydream about getting out of Southern California. I just can't take it here anymore.

Everything here is just too much, too much traffic, too expensive, too crowded.
Honestly, I felt the same way. Arizona is so peaceful and relaxed. People are very friendly. Air is clean.

I've been trying to encourage my family to move out too.

CA does have some perks they dont want to give up though.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I felt the same way. Arizona is so peaceful and relaxed. People are very friendly. Air is clean.

I've been trying to encourage my family to move out too.

CA does have some perks they dont want to give up though.
Yeah, we're looking at Az. If we go there unfortunately I'd have to be in the Phoenix metro area, most likely not in phoenix itself but the general area.

I have to work still for about 12 to 15 more years and my job sorta relies on larger areas. I can't go to a small town of 20k and make a living with what I do.

I'm pretty familiar with the Phoenix area, been going there off and on and in various capacities for 35 plus years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships