Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 07:50 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times

Advertisements

The squirrel stole my nuts .
As a vegetarian, nuts are a prime source of food when I’m “hibernating” in winter. The squirrel is a competitor for core resources, and I underestimated the furry critters smartness. Although, in all fairness, it may never have expected human competition .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 01:17 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
So my deceased Great Aunt J. has a way of popping into my life, and I'm typically a very skeptical sort of person but it's wonderful and I'll take it (this is pretty much the only way I do superstitions of any kind.)

Background: I lived with her for a short time during my senior year of high school, she was so wonderful and smart and independent, and she taught me so much. We would go to the Art Museum, and we had our favorite paintings there that we'd always visit. We went to symphonies together. She civilized my otherwise feral young self. I adore this woman, to the point that after she passed on, and I inherited among other treasures, a beautiful portrait of her when she was young and looked like a vintage Hollywood star, I actually had it tattooed on my leg in a cameo frame surrounded by roses, as a loving tribute to her. She would not have approved of this, because she didn't like tattoos...but it meant something to me. I have often said that she would have loved my now-husband, and wished that he could have met her.

When my husband and I first moved in together, during my unpacking I took a break to page through a photo album I'd gotten from her estate. At the very end, there were three postcards of paintings. Two of them were our favorites from the Cincinnati Art Museum. But the third... My husband is somewhat obsessed with a play called "Sunday in the Park With George." He has made me watch the DVD he's got, and it makes him cry every time. He has a huge print of the painting it's based on, "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat. And the third postcard in the back of Aunt J's album was of this painting. Which was NOT in the Cincinnati Art Museum, and I have no idea why it was in there, other than maybe because she had a gentleman "friend" in her old age, a man named George? But I raced downstairs to show this to my man, because it really felt like my discovery of this was her blessing on my relationship. I'd looked through this album many times before and I'd never noticed it!

And today... I ranted in frustration on Facebook a bit because I was wishing to find a good handbell version of Carol of the Bells. You can find it with different kinds of vocals, mostly annoying, heavy metal versions that blast you in the face, guitars, string orchestras, jazz bands, ukuleles, bagpipes for crying out loud...but not the most natural sounding clean, chill rendition on handbells! At least not on Spotify. So I have been searching through lots of versions and I came across this album of Christmas songs performed by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra conducted by Erich Kunzel. I had to listen, because Aunt J. and I used to go see them, she was a huge fan. Huge! The old ladies loved Erich Kunzel, I tell ya. And what should I find, not only do they have a version of the song, but there's a handbell choir involved...and not only that, IT'S HER CHURCH'S HANDBELL CHOIR. They very church she used to attend.

How you gonna have experiences like this and not feel like your dear relative is sending love from beyond...

Old 12-16-2020, 04:11 PM

Looks like snow has been hammering Pittsburgh for hours. Wish best of luck for the posters living there. I have an inch or 2, but nothing like what’s happening out East.
My GF hates cold, there is no way she is moving up here. I’m most likely heading south. I won’t regret it. Extra months of pool weather is always more relaxing to my mind .

Old 12-16-2020, 04:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Looks like snow has been hammering Pittsburgh for hours. Wish best of luck for the posters living there. I have an inch or 2, but nothing like what’s happening out East.
My GF hates cold, there is no way she is moving up here. I’m most likely heading south. I won’t regret it. Extra months of pool weather is always more relaxing to my mind .
It's breathtakingly beautiful outside and not really cold at all--especially if you're moving. There are five inches of snow out there right now and it's still coming down. I talked to my NE Ohio friends and it seems as though the snow belt has received less snow than those of us in western Pennsylvania. My friends and family who live just south of the usually snowy areas are getting what we're getting here in the 'burgh, although I think that our snowfall is greater than theirs, depending upon elevation, etc.

I just got back in from shoveling the sidewalk. Darned if I didn't want to make a snow angel in the front yard! I might do it when I go outside in the morning to do more shoveling. Sometimes the inner child needs to be delighted in simple ways.

I wish that it would stay "winter" all winter (with a day or two here and there so I can wash the car ) , but rain and warmer temperatures will come soon enough and wash all of the fairyland magic away. It's something that I love while it lasts--especially when the house and the surrounding neighborhood are decorated and lit for the Christmas season.

There's no way that I could live anywhere that didn't have four distinct seasons, but to each their own. I only wish that the public indoor pool was open, but alas, it's closed due to COVID. It's where I usually swim fall through spring. I really miss going there.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
It's breathtakingly beautiful outside and not really cold at all--especially if you're moving. There are five inches of snow out there right now and it's still coming down.

I just got back in from shoveling the sidewalk. Darned if I didn't want to make a snow angel in the front yard! I might do it when I go outside in the morning to do more shoveling. Sometimes the inner child needs to be delighted in simple ways.

I wish that it would stay "winter" all winter (with a day or two here and there so I can wash the car ) , but rain and warmer temperatures will come soon enough and wash all of the fairyland magic away. It's something that I love while it lasts--especially when the house and the surrounding neighborhood are decorated and lit for the Christmas season.

There's no way that I could live anywhere that didn't have four distinct seasons, but to each their own. I only wish that the public indoor pool was open, but alas, it's closed due to COVID. It's where I usually swim fall through spring. I really miss going there.
Nice to know you are enjoying it. I like an inch or 2, but that’s about all I want to see.
Also, the California folks in this thread would probably think this weather is frigid as hell.
Do you have a picture of what it looks like ? Is it the fluffy type or snowman type ?

Old 12-16-2020, 04:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Nice to know you are enjoying it. I like an inch or 2, but that’s about all I want to see.
Also, the California folks in this thread would probably think this weather is frigid as hell.
Do you have a picture of what it looks like ? Is it the fluffy type or snowman type ?
I'll take pictures in the a.m. as my phone doesn't take good nighttime pictures. It's light and fluffy snow--horrid for making snowballs and snow men, but perfect for sledding and making snow angels and very easy to shovel.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:44 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Got a job offer today. Right up my alley. No pay, but I can build up hours flying a twin and ... I’d get to fly a twin! Lol
I’d only have to work 2-3 days a month flying day trips between Avignon and Marseillaise with an occasional jaunt into the UK. I can’t fly passengers for money, but I can fly them for free. Works for me because I need the hours more than I need the money. I am going to meet the man on Saturday for a check ride and to get more detail. Andre’s not thrilled by the idea, but he’s not said that he doesn’t want me to do it. I don’t think he wants to have that fight! Lol

Old 12-17-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I'll take pictures in the a.m. as my phone doesn't take good nighttime pictures. It's light and fluffy snow--horrid for making snowballs and snow men, but perfect for sledding and making snow angels and very easy to shovel.
That’s the most important aspect .
I would like a few days of light snow once in a while, but outside of that I prefer winters where it’s around 50 and I don’t need to lug around a huge coat all the time.
I used to like the cold in my early 20’s, but I’m almost 30 now and I’m becoming more intolerant to cold day after day. By the time I’m 65 I think I’ll shiver and swear whenever it goes below 50 F.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:37 AM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Got a job offer today. Right up my alley. No pay, but I can build up hours flying a twin and ... I’d get to fly a twin! Lol
I’d only have to work 2-3 days a month flying day trips between Avignon and Marseillaise with an occasional jaunt into the UK. I can’t fly passengers for money, but I can fly them for free. Works for me because I need the hours more than I need the money. I am going to meet the man on Saturday for a check ride and to get more detail. Andre’s not thrilled by the idea, but he’s not said that he doesn’t want me to do it. I don’t think he wants to have that fight! Lol
Look at twin rentals and what you save by using their gas. Have fun!

Old 12-17-2020, 08:52 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
You must be in a different part of town--here it's heavy and wet, great for snowballs, terrible for shoveling. I feel the twinge in my shoulder already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships