Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:33 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
military men have learned to follow explicit instructions, at least when they really must. This is a learned characteristic that the military spends a lot of time teaching in accession training--probably the single most important factor of accession training....Those that don't learn it fail quickly and go back to being civilians who may or may not ever learn to follow explicit instructions....All of the 1,000,000 military men have jobs that with firm expectations of performance and behavior nearly every day. Out of 1,000,000 civilians...maybe, maybe not.
The women who think "military men are more marriageable" may very well have this as an idea, they are just unable to express it in as accurately descriptive terms as you have. The discipline is attractive too.

It's the idea, I understand there are different kinds of people in every profession-- but at least starting out with the IDEA that there will be ethics and character is attractive to some. They're usually in great shape as well.

All IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would have to guess that those servicemembers are also NOT being paid all of the usual extra pays and tax-free status.

btw, I was only deployed 7 months per year, rotating shift-work during off-crew periods.
Couldn't tell you. But my point want what people who deploy leas often earn, it's that whether or not the opportunity to engage in infidelity is there on a deployment, as may or not be the case, there are indeed opportunities for those who see serve to cheat, if that's what they choose to do.

Your assertion seemed to be that servicemembers dont typically cheat, because there isn't an opportunity to do so even if they wanted to. This may be your specific experience, but it's definitely not generally true of military members overall. You made a comment earlier that appeared to suggest that in infidelity situations in military families, military spouses cheat, but the military members themselves don't. This is not true. The military is not any different than the civilian population in this sense...either party may stray, and both may have ample opportunity to do so as compared to people in many other professions. Even for people who aren't deployed/underway/training, etc. There are a lot of times partners are apart due to requirements of the job where it would be quite easy for one party to mess around on the other. Heck, even when my spouse was instructing, he was a chief of an A-school BEQ, and would have duty weekends on a rotation. How easy would it have been for him to tell me, "Oh, hey, duty this weekend, have to stay on base, " but really be hooking up with somebody and I'd not know the difference? Likewise, with him gone on those overnights, I could have been schtupping the neighbor, right? Not that either of us did any such thing, but if we'd been of a mind to, there would have been easy opportunity.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:40 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Couldn't tell you. But my point want what people who deploy leas often earn, it's that whether or not the opportunity to engage in infidelity is there on a deployment, as may or not be the case, there are indeed opportunities for those who see serve to cheat, if that's what they choose to do.

Your assertion seemed to be that servicemembers dont typically cheat, because there isn't an opportunity to do so even if they wanted to. This may be your specific experience, but it's definitely not generally true of military members overall. You made a comment earlier that appeared to suggest that in infidelity situations in military families, military spouses cheat, but the military members themselves don't. This is not true. The military is not any different than the civilian population in this sense...either party may stray, and both may have ample opportunity to do so as compared to people in many other professions. Even for people who aren't deployed/underway/training, etc. There are a lot of times partners are apart due to requirements of the job where it would be quite easy for one party to mess around on the other. Heck, even when my spouse was instructing, he was a chief of an A-school BEQ, and would have duty weekends on a rotation. How easy would it have been for him to tell me, "Oh, hey, duty this weekend, have to stay on base, " but really be hooking up with somebody and I'd not know the difference? Likewise, with him gone on those overnights, I could have been schtupping the neighbor, right? Not that either of us did any such thing, but if we'd been of a mind to, there would have been easy opportunity.
Any kind of shift/duty work, military, fire, police, power plants - all of these have one spouse away from the house for at least one shift, and with rare exceptions the off-shift spouse can be quite confident that the one on shift won't come home early. This tends to lead to at least a lot of opportunity for fooling around.

And as you noted, the on-shift spouse can claim to be going on shift when they are actually headed to their paramour. So what goes for the goose, goes equally for the gander. At least it's gender-equitable.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:02 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Personally, I would not marry someone (military or otherwise) who might be away for extended periods of time. IMO, a good relationship requires almost daily connection - otherwise, I may as well be single.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 PM

720 posts, read 501,079 times
I would say military men have civilian men beat in the communication department. Every guy I've worked with who was former military knew how to communicate -- direct, firm, to the point. They also know how to follow directions. In relationships? Eh. Dudes are dudes, in or out of uniform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships