Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
They follow orders.
They fold laundry very well.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Maybe. I am Canadian and live in a major city. Anyone techinically trained in combat to kill if needed and to use weapons makes me uneasy. Don't you have to be super disciplined to do all that trianing? If you are more easy going and bohemian in your life style waking up at the crack of dawn, following uniform codes and drills does not really seem like a great fit .
Man. First rule of holes: When you're in one, quit digging. You need to put down the lazy stereotypes and back away.

Two of our best friends are a Marine colonel and kind of a hippy chick from California. He is certainly not some pathological gun nut ready to explode. In truth, he's kind of a quiet and tender-hearted kind of guy. As he once told me when we were all herding our kids to the car on a trip, "I can get 1,000 men to move out in five minutes, but it takes me thirty minutes to get three kids into an SUV."

SMH at where some people get their ideas.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They fold laundry very well.
I will say that my husband irons better than I ever will.

The Navy does have a thoroughly ridiculous number of uniforms, though.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

SMH at where some people get their ideas.
Movies.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:13 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I will say that my husband irons better than I ever will.

Air Force here, but absolutely on the ironing - it's like magic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2016, 04:15 PM

He also can get stains out of anything.

Byproduct of having to wear the whites.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:26 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
From a woman's point of view, dating civilians has been a disaster. It seems like military men have more focus and a better sense of self, more adjusted a.nd focused. On the other hand civilians are all over the place with nothing to offer but a beer at their house. They have no motivation, past a gas station, and are selfish. It's like they gave up on life. They won't even get up to exercise.
Of course. The military (still, not sure for how long) usually imparts some good character traits toward people. A good percentage of civilians take too many things for granted and end up being spoiled. I'd go for military over civilian any day (of course, this doesn't apply to all, there definitely are outliers). In my own two long-term relationship, my current ex-military partner has a way more sense of practicality than my former non-military one (still has some annoying traits, but then the military was like 40 years ago for him. Then it the pink-boot military; not sure if we've moved past the silver slipper, but not sure what can come after that).

I wish all men would join the military after high school. Get used to taking dumps in trenches, food being crap, running for many miles every day, adverse weather, chemical-training or whatever it's called (where they expose you to some kind of noxious gas which I was told is a mild one) I hear is a nightmare. Come back to civilian life with a much greater appreciation for how easy things are here. Instead of whining and complaining about things. Toughens you up so you're not so much of a little sissy-whiny boy.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:33 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Maybe. I am Canadian and live in a major city. Anyone techinically trained in combat to kill if needed and to use weapons makes me uneasy. Don't you have to be super disciplined to do all that trianing? If you are more easy going and bohemian in your life style waking up at the crack of dawn, following uniform codes and drills does not really seem like a great fit .
My first husband was an active duty Marine for 12 years. He enlisted in the MC's music program as an instrumentalist. He played the tuba in one of the field bands for his first enlistment. He did security for first and second trips to the sandbox, along with usual band ceremonies/duties. For the remaining 8 years he worked in the intel field, and this was his job during the last three deployments. He never saw combat. Ever. He was/is a band geek and nerd. Infantry and its support MOSs were not for him at all. There are many non-combat job fields in the military. My ex had a higher chance of dying in a car accident than during a deployment (this was reiterated during pre-deployment briefs). He was an air winger. There's a longstanding joke about POGs (people/person other than grunts) having it easier than ground units.

My ex hated military politics, hated stringent MC standards, hated running (and most PT), etc., but killed it at his actual job.

Contrast that to my father who is a former AD Marine who is the stereotypical gung-ho, nationalist, ooh-rah, super disciplined, assertive, cocky type, though he was also an air winger working in aviation ordnance. He and my ex were nothing alike in their temperaments and personalities. Thank Jibbers.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
double post

Old 06-23-2016, 08:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
From a woman's point of view, dating civilians has been a disaster. It seems like military men have more focus and a better sense of self, more adjusted a.nd focused. On the other hand civilians are all over the place with nothing to offer but a beer at their house. They have no motivation, past a gas station, and are selfish. It's like they gave up on life. They won't even get up to exercise.
Lol. I know plenty of military guys who are financial and general lifestyle disasters. Being in the military CAN make you a more organized, focused person. And to some it does. Just not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships