Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

And get divorced in fairly high numbers due to marrying young.

I.e., it's really not in your best interest to jump into a quickie marriage with a very young enlisted servicemember, which is what that particular poster has posted numerous times that she's desperate to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You're kidding, right? You do know that physical attractiveness has no bearing on one's ability to enlist or commission, right?

You also understand that there are jobs in the military (many, many jobs), where you are less at risk of physical harm than any number of civilian job positions, I hope. I ask, because you've indicated on here that joining the military is an interest, but you seem to lack a realistic understanding of it, based on comments like the above.
Well, you take an average civilian schlub, get him into minimum physical shape to pass the PT test, (that may not be a trivial effort!) give him a clean haircut, put him in the uniform - hey, there you go, 2 or 3 points on the "10" scale added to him, bada bing, bada boom.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:07 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The stats show opposite that men in service are more likely to have dysfunctional relationships that both spouses cheat.
dysfunctional relationships: might be due to deployment schedule. For the first 20 years of my marriage, our together time was usually: weekend visits, home at 10pm gone at 7am, or deployed. Actual living together, same bed, shared meals, for more than a week did not happen until after I retired.

both spouses cheat: I am not homosexual. During my career, for the men to 'cheat' meant that they would have to be homosexual. I have seen a lot of divorces [hundreds]. As far as I am aware all of those divorces included some adultery. Of those divorces that I was aware of, only one included the guy cheating.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:04 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
The military guys have a been exposed to discipline and responsibility, and consequences for actions. Plus they have a guaranteed income and benefits.

This is EXACTLY the reason.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
[/b]

This is EXACTLY the reason.
Au contraire! Many civilian civil servants have higher pay and better benefits, especially when it comes to retirement.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Au contraire! Many civilian civil servants have higher pay and better benefits, especially when it comes to retirement.
In the vast majority of situations that higher pay part is a myth. The benefits are about similar to the private sector for similar jobs....although benefits are diminishing everywhere. Retirement might be better and it might come earlier in the civil service which tends to balance things out. Otherwise, nobody would put up with the daily crap and political grandstanding.

Whatever "guaranteed income and benefits" the ex-military might have are pretty negligible given the years spent in harm's way and possible long-term repercussions. A military career brings stresses on a family due to multiple deployments and frequent moves. I very rarely see evidence of any lasting benefit of military service in a way that would be exceptionally positive for a relationship (relative to non-military).

OP's perspective might be a little distorted. There are "losers" and "keepers" from all types of backgrounds.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
In the vast majority of situations that higher pay part is a myth. The benefits are about similar to the private sector for similar jobs....although benefits are diminishing everywhere. Retirement might be better and it might come earlier in the civil service which tends to balance things out. Otherwise, nobody would put up with the daily crap and political grandstanding.
Both my wife and I are retired state political and legislative analysts so I have to chuckle about the bolded. We do know a bit about political grandstanding. I'm also a former military officer and will tell you that our pensions are decent and our current benefits cannot be equaled.

I will, however, have to agree with the degradation of benefits, also an issue for the military. In many cases they are far more expensive for workers and vesting takes longer for retirees while benefits are less generous. We're old timers so ours are golden.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Of those divorces that I was aware of, only one included the guy cheating.
My brother-in-law went from enlisted to commissioned officer with the green-to-gold program. He cheated on his wife with a girl he met while at a training school in Arizona. Maybe it doesn't happen on deployment, but there is still opportunity available while in the military for heterosexuals.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:24 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Is there are difference between marrying an enlisted versus an officer? If there is, I would surmise that it is pertinent to the discussion.

I've always heard that infidelity and divorce is higher among the enlisted... I don't know if it is true or not. However, it makes sense to me given that many of these fine men and women spend long periods of time away from family and often take the brunt of a lot of stress.
There is no difference in deployment rates between officers and enlisted.

Differences in infidelity and divorce are explainable by the same factors as for civilians. Officers as a group start out their careers more educated (college degree versus high school), older (post college versus post high school), and with a higher income.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, you take an average civilian schlub, get him into minimum physical shape to pass the PT test, (that may not be a trivial effort!) give him a clean haircut, put him in the uniform - hey, there you go, 2 or 3 points on the "10" scale added to him, bada bing, bada boom.
If being reasonably fit were all it took to be attractive, you might have a point. But you can still be a homely person who makes weight.

Also, this is a personal taste thing, obviously, but military haircuts (including shaved heads adopted by many, currently)? Not hot. But mileage clearly varies on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships