Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM

104 posts, read 96,028 times

Advertisements

From a woman's point of view, dating civilians has been a disaster. It seems like military men have more focus and a better sense of self, more adjusted a.nd focused. On the other hand civilians are all over the place with nothing to offer but a beer at their house. They have no motivation, past a gas station, and are selfish. It's like they gave up on life. They won't even get up to exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Ok

Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
From a military brat, military men aren't perfect by a long shot. My dad was the biggest jerk I ever encountered and he was retired military and many of his military friends weren't outstanding citizens either.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 06-23-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
It's not true that civilians are seen as a disaster, but I think there's probably a sense of "stability" about a man or woman who serves - something that in practice I haven't necessarily found to be true. It's more an image, an idea and ideal.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
The military guys have a been exposed to discipline and responsibility, and consequences for actions. Plus they have a guaranteed income and benefits.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
From a military brat, military men aren't perfect by a long shot. My dad was the biggest jerk I ever encountered and he was retired military and many of his military friends were much either.
My father was Army, ended up a drill sergeant. He was abusive, threw my mother down the stairs to attempt to give her a miscarriage (and yet, here I am ). He had a drinking problem as well. He broke my arm, threw us kids into walls or swung us by our feet so our heads hit objects (like the coffee table, one example) as punishment.

My cousin was Air Force. My parents (mother and stepfather) asked him to come out and oversee a party my sister and I were having as my parents were going to my mother's high school reunion that night. More people than expected showed up and my AF cousin, who had been barreling down JD all night, TOOK OUT HIS GUN in my living room and waved it at all of us to get us to "shut up". All the kids ran screaming and the police came. That was interesting.

I'm not saying all military is like this, LOL. Not by a long shot. I have a lot of respect for anyone who serves. It can be dangerous, it's brave, it's tough and not everybody wants to do it. I always thank a military person I meet for his/her service. But no. Military are not necessarily a cut above.

But we all knew this, including the OP.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
The military guys have a been exposed to discipline and responsibility, and consequences for actions. Plus they have a guaranteed income and benefits .
$$$$$ , Yup

Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
I live in a navy town and by most respects, military men are not "more marriageable" than other men. Most are just more willing to get married, particularly at younger ages, because it means they can then live off-base and earn more money. I had a few military guys who wanted to marry me, quickly, while I was in college and we were 19-20. They wanted the benefits of a wife more so than they wanted a wife, but I was also not the sort of girl to fall into that plan.

My husband is a veteran and we started dating with a year left in his contract. I think it helped him to get discipline and order in his life and helped him to pursue his education post-military... I just think that the military is like any other large group of people: some good, some bad, and hard to make any hasty generalizations over.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
Why are military men ,more marriagable than civilians?
They are not.

Maybe their benefits are what appeals to you....

Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
No one is more or less *marriageable* than anyone else.
If one would pay attention to the humans around them while in public they would know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships