Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
My brother-in-law went from enlisted to commissioned officer with the green-to-gold program. He cheated on his wife with a girl he met while at a training school in Arizona. Maybe it doesn't happen on deployment, but there is still opportunity available while in the military for heterosexuals.
And every other field. Let's not pretend workplace infidelity/business trip indiscretions, etc. aren't an issue in the civilian world. I'm a casualty of it, long before I was a military spouse. In fact, the only time I was ever cheated on in my life was by a civilian.

Also, not understanding the "heterosexuals" comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 02:36 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Speaking in terms of big numbers, there are a few general differences between, say, 1,000,000 military men and 1,000,000 civilians.

One is that all of the 1,000,000 military men have learned to follow explicit instructions, at least when they really must. This is a learned characteristic that the military spends a lot of time teaching in accession training--probably the single most important factor of accession training.

It's amazing how young people who are actually trying to follow instructions are unable to do it until they are taught. "Did you follow the instructions?" "Yes, I did." "Look again at what you did and look again at the instructions--those do not match."

Those that don't learn it fail quickly and go back to being civilians who may or may not ever learn to follow explicit instructions.

All of the 1,000,000 military men have jobs that with firm expectations of performance and behavior nearly every day. Out of 1,000,000 civilians...maybe, maybe not.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
[/b]

This is EXACTLY the reason.
LOL, if you're seriously a golddigger, you can dig a lot better gold than military pay.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:41 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And every other field. Let's not pretend workplace infidelity/business trip indiscretions, etc. aren't an issue in the civilian world. I'm a casualty of it, long before I was a military spouse. In fact, the only time I was ever cheated on in my life was by a civilian.

Also, not understanding the "heterosexuals" comment?
It was in reference to the one guy who was claiming the only way to cheat in the military is if you're gay, implying that you are only around other men. There are females deployed and there are females who go to trainings, too.

I wasn't stating that the field matters. I was just stating there are plenty of other places that a heterosexual guy could cheat while in the military if he chose. If he wants to cheat, he will find a way/place to do it... but I don't for a minute think that the only option for a military man is other men.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

both spouses cheat: I am not homosexual. During my career, for the men to 'cheat' meant that they would have to be homosexual. I have seen a lot of divorces [hundreds]. As far as I am aware all of those divorces included some adultery. Of those divorces that I was aware of, only one included the guy cheating.
Yeah, but not everyone in the military is assigned to a sub with all same-sex personnel, obviously. Many military members clearly have opportunities to cheat (as do their spouses). Same as civilians.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It was in reference to the one guy who was claiming the only way to cheat in the military is if you're gay, implying that you are only around other men. There are females deployed and there are females who go to trainings, too.

Got it. I believe his comment related to himself, in reference to having served on submarines, seldom surfacing during underways, manned only by other men.

I agree that in many contexts, there are ample opportunities for military personnel to cheat.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:49 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
My brother-in-law went from enlisted to commissioned officer with the green-to-gold program. He cheated on his wife with a girl he met while at a training school in Arizona. Maybe it doesn't happen on deployment, but there is still opportunity available while in the military for heterosexuals.
I completed 17 deployments that were obviously all-male.

The one divorce I am aware of within the silent-service where the guy cheated was a guy on shore-duty working in a hospital where he was subjected to females. Would have never happened if he had been deploying.

During most of my career, our exposure to females was very limited.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is no difference in deployment rates between officers and enlisted.

Differences in infidelity and divorce are explainable by the same factors as for civilians. Officers as a group start out their careers more educated (college degree versus high school), older (post college versus post high school), and with a higher income.
'Higher income' only within the context of Base-Pay. Certainly not within the context of take-home pay which is commonly 3X base-pay.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, but not everyone in the military is assigned to a sub with all same-sex personnel, obviously. Many military members clearly have opportunities to cheat (as do their spouses). Same as civilians.
Yes, I guess you are correct.

After 20 years of Active Duty, I forget that some US servicemembers are exposed to females on deployment.

Must be nice

Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Yes, I guess you are correct.

After 20 years of Active Duty, I forget that some US servicemembers are exposed to females on deployment.

Must be nice
Well, and not all who serve are constantly deployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships