Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,416,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have never experienced this.

Ghosting is rude and I despise it.

I actually wish I would be told why I get rejected. It would make me feel better. I have been with a guy on a few dates and then I told him my birth date and he said his ex was a scorpio and he cannot deal with another. Okay . I can deal with that. If he would have just ghosted I would wonder what I did wrong and overanalyze.
Lol, so he wouldn't date another scorpio because he had a bad experience with one? People aren't defined by their birth months.

I like astrology, but I would never in a million years let that interfere with my dating life. That's completely insane...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This is the reason for ghosting. Most people can't handle the truth.
But you can just tell the person that you're not interested anymore without going into detail. There's a way to do both.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
But you can just tell the person that you're not interested anymore without going into detail. There's a way to do both.
Some people press for more information.... I've personally witnessed it a few times though out life.....

Old 08-08-2016, 12:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That's what is so lacking among so many people's point of views on here; any subtlety or tact. One can absolutely be honest, without being a blunt jerk.

A couple of months ago I receive a message after asking for a third date. First went great. Second was very meh. Asked anyway, response: "Hi _____, you seem like a great guy, but this isn't the connection I'm looking for." Simple. Wished her luck in her search, she did the same. The end.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:23 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,888,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's what is so lacking among so many people's point of views on here; any subtlety or tact. One can absolutely be honest, without being a blunt jerk.

A couple of months ago I receive a message after asking for a third date. First went great. Second was very meh. Asked anyway, response: "Hi _____, you seem like a great guy, but this isn't the connection I'm looking for." Simple. Wished her luck in her search, she did the same. The end.
Yeah, the more I think about it I don't actually 'ghost' until the pleasantries and 'wish you luck' stuff has not worked. If they continue to press, and even get critical, then no response is necessary. IMO

Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Exactly. A couple of years back, a woman I had met via OkCupid did the same, and I actually had thanked her for being upfront with me.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,029,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I've been told women handle rejection worse than men do. I think that is why some tend to overreact when a guy isn't interested in them.
From my experience, women do not have the market cornered in overreactions to rejection.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,075,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Lol, some people prefer to just ghost away, because they expect too much drama, and not a clean cut, like ghosting gives.

Many people who are let go do not let it be and say.."ok, good luck to you and have a nice life." some want to know the reason,.... "tell me ..."why, why, why...!" they ask for THE reason, and cannot let go and some get quite stalkerish.

So, sometimes ghosting is the easier way.
I wasn't actually going to bring this up myself, but yes. This does happen and it does burn a person. Being pressed and pressed with "but whys?" and "Well then can we just (X, Y, Z) instead?" and then when you do agree to that CASUAL coffee or the meeting up to hand him back that stupid book he lent you or whatever (because he keeps "but why"ing you and you're trying to be explanatory, not be a jerk who just ignores...right?), he turns it around later with an accusation that that must have meant you really did want to go out with him and...blah...blah...blah.

It might result in a sense of annoyance, or it might actually be pretty much yelling...I've had this happen...pretty darned rare, probably only once or twice but ouch. Especially for the young and/or inexperienced (IMO), after a pretty bad "just say no" which isn't taken as such or which is rebelled against loudly, angrily or whatever, a person might just be scared off and try to be more subtle next time...or worst case scenario, might ghost.

Things can get VERY uncomfortable literally saying "no" to some people and it's not always easy to tell which people will react badly and which will be cool about it.

I'm not offering excuses and I'm not in love with ghosting myself but demonizing someone for doing so is kind of over the top, IMO. That person has his/her reasons. Think it really is because s/he is just a jerk? Great. Then the ghosting should hurt even less. Either way, saying nothing at all actually sends a pretty clear message. So just move on, what have you really lost? Were the china pattern and reception centerpieces all picked out already or something?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,029,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm not offering excuses and I'm not in love with ghosting myself but demonizing someone for doing so is kind of over the top, IMO. That person has his/her reasons. Think it really is because s/he is just a jerk? Great. Then the ghosting should hurt even less. Either way, saying nothing at all actually sends a pretty clear message. So just move on, what have you really lost? Were the china pattern and reception centerpieces all picked out already or something?
This is the way I'm seeing it too.

The expectation of closure after three or four dates leads me to think that too much is being emotionally invested too soon.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,075,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

What are you supposed to say... "It's not you, it's me, You are fabulous and I just am not in a place right now to be in a relationship... I just don't think I have the courage to allow my heart to be with you... you are great, no, no really, it's just me... I just don't have it in me to go there, I thought I did, but I don't"
OMG...

...so that was YOU.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships