Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 12:36 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I am just stating what I know about these things I have cleaned a house, I have gone grocery stores, none of those things take long or have to be done everyday.
I really dont think it is a matter of how long it takes to clean the house or how often you do it. This will vary depending on a persons life style, etc.

For those who work long hours, have a stressful job or travel for work or just don't like doing domestic things, its more of having someone to do those things for you so you don't have to do them. Having a clean house, laundry done, food bought and prepared, bills paid, etc. so you can just come home and relax and enjoy a happy companion to share your life with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:59 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was thinking about this when it came up in the thread a while back. As a single person who lives alone, yeah, I do take care of all necessary chores in addition to working full time. But a lot of times the chores that get done are just the surface level tidying that's a neverending cycle: laundry/cooking/dishes/vacuuming/dusting/wiping down countertops, etc. I rarely get down to the nitty gritty stuff that also has to be done, like cleaning out closets, taking the shelves and drawers out of the fridge and wiping everything down, moving furniture and cleaning behind it, organizing files and shredding or deleting old paperwork, that kind of stuff. It's those kinds of chores that really benefit from having someone with more than a couple of minutes here and there to do them.
Holy crap. I did that upstairs this weekend. I am officially a nasty pig. I cant believe the dust and crud that accumulates.
By the time I get the rest of the rooms done the first one will be all dirty again.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really dont think it is a matter of how long it takes to clean the house or how often you do it. This will vary depending on a persons life style, etc.

For those who work long hours, have a stressful job or travel for work or just don't like doing domestic things, its more of having someone to do those things for you so you don't have to do them. Having a clean house, laundry done, food bought and prepared, bills paid, etc. so you can just come home and relax and enjoy a happy companion to share your life with.
Exactly, it's like working two jobs.

(This thread is supposed to be about stay-at-home women with no kids, but I just have to say this to all of you parents who both work and raise kids, I seriously don't know how you do it.)

Old 09-26-2016, 02:17 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I was thinking about this today.

I was single, had a 2 bd/1bath house, 2 cats, no yard work, worked full time, dated and made home cooked food for the week. No problem, no muss, no fuss.

Now my house is double the size, largish yard, husband, 2 dogs and kidlet part time. I stay home.

There is no comparison to keeping house and stuff - OMG. Kid and husband are not slobs and don't treat me like a maid, but there is always tons of stuff to do.

Do I have free time, sure, but it takes way more time then even I would have guessed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I was thinking about this today.

I was single, had a 2 bd/1bath house, 2 cats, no yard work, worked full time, dated and made home cooked food for the week. No problem, no muss, no fuss.

Now my house is double the size, largish yard, husband, 2 dogs and kidlet part time. I stay home.

There is no comparison to keeping house and stuff - OMG. Kid and husband are not slobs and don't treat me like a maid, but there is always tons of stuff to do.

Do I have free time, sure, but it takes way more time then even I would have guessed.
Omg, when I was single, I lived in this tiny apartment. After my enormous microwave took up most of the kitchen counter, I probably had a foot left of Formica to clean, lol, no tile or grout in that apartment. I couldn't fully stretch my arms out in that kitchen if I stood sideways. I only had a full-sized bed, but it took up most of the space in the bedroom. Anyway, it was much easier to clean, although I still came home from work drained. I'm thinking I probably cleaned on the weekends.

I don't have any, so I forgot about mentioning watering, weeding, mowing yards in my chore list in my other post.

And either I'm much lazier than other posters who are saying it doesn't take that long to clean the house, or I've got to hone/update my cleaning techniques. When I talk about cleaning the bathroom sinks, I use a cleanser and scrub it with a rag, and then rinse and wipe dry. It seems like a lot of other people are saying that they just keep those little pre-moistened cleaner wipes in the bathroom and just wipe it down every day. Am I doing this wrong? lol

Old 09-26-2016, 03:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Omg, when I was single, I lived in this tiny apartment. After my enormous microwave took up most of the kitchen counter, I probably had a foot left of Formica to clean, lol, no tile or grout in that apartment. I couldn't fully stretch my arms out in that kitchen if I stood sideways. I only had a full-sized bed, but it took up most of the space in the bedroom. Anyway, it was much easier to clean, although I still came home from work drained. I'm thinking I probably cleaned on the weekends.

I don't have any, so I forgot about mentioning watering, weeding, mowing yards in my chore list in my other post.

And either I'm much lazier than other posters who are saying it doesn't take that long to clean the house, or I've got to hone/update my cleaning techniques. When I talk about cleaning the bathroom sinks, I use a cleanser and scrub it with a rag, and then rinse and wipe dry. It seems like a lot of other people are saying that they just keep those little pre-moistened cleaner wipes in the bathroom and just wipe it down every day. Am I doing this wrong? lol
I don't think there is a wrong way to do it. I'm just a stickler for a clean bathroom, and since there are 5 of us sharing one bathroom, it needs daily maintenance or I can't imagine how nasty it would look and smell. Nothing spectacular, just a quick wipe down with spray cleaner and the previous day's hand towel.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I find, in general, if you wipe stuff down daily, the nitty gritty, elbow grease-necessitating scrubbing is needed less frequently. I.E., don't let things get bad in the first place, and they are less odious tasks overall.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

I'm actually moving from a studio apartment to a master bedroom in a share house in a couple of weeks. I can't say I'm not excited about having less space to maintain.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:02 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Cant let some big sorry grown woman lay around on me while I go out and hump it everyday... i had to get that clear with my coworker to whom Im talking at the moment...she started talking as though just because I work alot of OT, and am financially stable that I would be ok with some sorry woman laying around the house while I support her in her little hypothetical idea of a relationship with me. Like I told her, you gotta be crazy...lol..she was like "yeah, and if we were married you could still work the amount of OT you do now, and then I would either just keep the house tidy, or maybe work whenever I feel like..that way, you could take care of the bills or whatever, and I could just use whatever little extra money I make on my hair or my clothes or whatever"...

i told her, you must think Im some kind of naive sucker?...lol...wont be any of that lounging around working whenever you feel like it...this isnt the 50's...we are both capable of working...you need to pull your weight like I do...now we can do a legitimate 50-50...that will work..but tinkering around the house under the auspices of "house cleaning" aint gonna cut it...lol...i dont mean this vague unquantifiable housecleaning/cooking hocus pocus either, i mean truly 50-50...Ive always done my own house cleaning, and as a poster above stated, unless youre just all around lazy, theres really nothing to housework if you arent living like a slob in the first place, and you put things back in their place after youve used them. More power to the couples who can come to an agreement to have one partner staying at home while the other works. Not for me though.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I don't think there is a wrong way to do it. I'm just a stickler for a clean bathroom, and since there are 5 of us sharing one bathroom, it needs daily maintenance or I can't imagine how nasty it would look and smell. Nothing spectacular, just a quick wipe down with spray cleaner and the previous day's hand towel.
Funny you answered, because the other day I was in the "What cleaning products do you consider a necessity?" thread in the House forum. I like to use more natural cleaners, but they don't always work as well. I've used vinegar to clean with, but I read that, because of the acidity, it breaks down your grout over time, so I was looking for other ideas. Anyway, you were the first one to bring up the blue Dawn/vinegar/water mixture. It's awesome. Like my new best friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm actually moving from a studio apartment to a master bedroom in a share house in a couple of weeks. I can't say I'm not excited about having less space to maintain.
Lol, quit rubbing it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships