Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course now stores move discount V-day sweets out real quick to make room for full-price Easter candy, so you have to be clever.
I chose between eggs and pink foil hearts next to each other on the shelf the weekend before V-Day.

SSDC.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 AM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The real Valentine's Day is on February 15th when all the chocolate goes on sale.
Ding ding ding. I scored a bag of Hershey's kisses for $2.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Personally I hate roses and would be so disappointed if my DH wasted money on them. Good thing he knows better, lol.
I love roses, but I like them best still attached to rosebushes.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Every year it is always a struggle to find box of chocolates that have no nuts.... ugh.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM

How so? Russell Stover sells the ones that are all "creams" or "caramels" and the ones that are all nuts. I'm sure the other brands do, too.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Every year it is always a struggle to find box of chocolates that have no nuts.... ugh.
My husband is sad over the "surprise! This is filled with raspberry-colored goo" ones every year.

Thank God, because, you know...I'm happy to take over that job.

Difficult to identify, vaguely fruit-flavored goo chocolates FTW.

And truffles.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
My husband is sad over the "surprise! This is filled with raspberry-colored goo" ones every year.

Thank God, because, you know...I'm happy to take over that job.

Difficult to identify, vaguely fruit-flavored goo chocolates FTW.

And truffles.
If you live in a city with a sizable Polish population, hit up one of their supermarkets. Polish chocolates are amazing. They're very creamy and flavorful, especially the dark chocolate. No goo, no soapy texture. Just real cocoa, fruit, nuts, and cream. Even their milk chocolate is often made with whipping cream instead of milk, giving a smoother mouthfeel. I know a few stores near me, and I practically raid them when I go .

I suppose I'm lucky in that regard: Chicago has the world's largest Polish population after Warsaw. But it never hurts to at least try looking for a store in your area. Barring that, get the chocolates on Amazon.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
If you live in a city with a sizable Polish population, hit up one of their supermarkets. Polish chocolates are amazing. They're very creamy and flavorful, especially the dark chocolate. No goo, no soapy texture. Just real cocoa, fruit, nuts, and cream. Even their milk chocolate is often made with whipping cream instead of milk, giving a smoother mouthfeel. I know a few stores near me, and I practically raid them when I go .

I suppose I'm lucky in that regard: Chicago has the world's largest Polish population after Warsaw. But it never hurts to at least try looking for a store in your area. Barring that, get the chocolates on Amazon.
I was actually raised on Polish/Ukrainian food and treats but I don't live local to the city (L.A.) to hunt down great Polish food, unfortunately. I don't know if L.A. has a Polish "neighborhood" like some cities do.

I hadn't even thought of ordering some online. Maybe for Easter. I do remember getting cruschik (pronounced sort of "hroosh-kee") at delis all the time in the Northeast (cookies). Even not "fresh"/just baked those were amazing.

I get See's out here. I'm half-joking about the raspberry stuff, I often will get dark choco See's bars for the hubs. But overall he really does like V-Day. And all the holidays.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I was actually raised on Polish/Ukrainian food and treats but I don't live local to the city (L.A.) to hunt down great Polish food, unfortunately. I don't know if L.A. has a Polish "neighborhood" like some cities do.

I hadn't even thought of ordering some online. Maybe for Easter. I do remember getting cruschik (pronounced sort of "hroosh-kee") at delis all the time in the Northeast (cookies). Even not "fresh"/just baked those were amazing.
I'm not sure about LA's Polish population, either. I know it has a large Russian population, and their food is almost the same. You might have some success with Russian stores, and by all means, try their cakes. Just remember that the Russian language uses the Cyrillic script. So go by the graphic on the box, if you can't see inside it. Although some packages have a stick-on label in English on the back; it's what I look at.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
This could be a good starting point and the discussions that are on there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ter-steak.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships