Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have never heard of that. Is that a thing? A date for V day to go to an overcrowded restaurant, wait in line for hours, get crappy service because they are overwhelmed, need to eat fast to free the table for the people you can see pressing their nose against the window?
It happens more often than people realize. Think about it, nobody's thinking about dating until 2/14, when all of a sudden folks get lonely and set up dates for V-Day. The guy gets the woman flowers, her favorite batch of Russell Stover candy, scented perfume, fancy dinner at a high-end restaurant. On V-Day alone, he would've spent at least $500, if not more.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
It’s just another manufactured “celebratory” day to celebrate on a calendar.
If you love someone show it without a forced reminder and an expectation.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It’s just another manufactured “celebratory” day to celebrate on a calendar.
But is it really any different than a couple's anniversary? Or one of their birthdays? You can acknowledge an event and have fun with it or not.

If you're with someone who makes a lot of demands and who has a lot of unrealistic expectations about Valentine's Day, they're probably like that all the time, not just February 14th. That's not the fault of the calendar.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:55 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But is it really any different than a couple's anniversary? Or one of their birthdays? You can acknowledge an event and have fun with it or not.

If you're with someone who makes a lot of demands and who has a lot of unrealistic expectations about Valentine's Day, they're probably like that all the time, not just February 14th. That's not the fault of the calendar.
Yes, its different.
It’s akin to telling someone they should vs allowing someone to build something with someone on their own.

Whether or not you personally enjoy the festivities associated with the day is irrelevant.
It’s a day to do business more than it’s one of individual love.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
It's never bothered me. I enjoyed sending flowers to my ladies job and going out for dinner and a show afterwards. Yes I know it's all just a commercial scam, but I still enjoyed it. Don't care for Christmas or Thanksgiving, but I miss not having someone for New years Eve and Valentines Day. Now Sweetest day (Not sure how many are familiar with that day, as it may be a regional holiday) That day for some reason raked my nerves, because it's so obviously made up. Literally Valentines day in October. I always thought that was a little much.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM

247 posts, read 198,248 times
I think that it can be a good opportunity for men who aren't great with romance or thinking outside of the box to show their admiration and generosity. It's very safe and easy to follow. As others mentioned, flowers, chocolate, dinner, jewelry, lingerie, etc. I haven't received a V-Day gift from a man (like ever) but for me I would really love flowers at work. My advice would be not to do many things, but to do one thing and do it well. If you're sending flowers, get really gorgeous ones that she loves. Chocolate, go high end/gourmet/local.

For some women it may be the one day of the year that their bf/husband spoils them so please do what you can without trying to 'budget' the day (unless you really have to). Women can and do give men gifts as well, I know my gfs get their guys chocolate and one likes to make his favorite meal. I don't cook but I'd love to bake something nice for my (future) bf. They will need to have a sweet tooth lol.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
My husband will never take me out to a restaurant for V-Day, so I've decided I won't cook dinner at home. If he wants dinner, he can fix something for himself on that day. I think that's fair enough.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My husband will never take me out to a restaurant for V-Day, so I've decided I won't cook dinner at home. If he wants dinner, he can fix something for himself on that day. I think that's fair enough.
Why is it him taking you? More of he will not go out on VD? Is he willing to go out on a date night on a different night?

Why don't you both prepare something nice for yourselves?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-12-2018, 06:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
It happens more often than people realize. Think about it, nobody's thinking about dating until 2/14, when all of a sudden folks get lonely and set up dates for V-Day. The guy gets the woman flowers, her favorite batch of Russell Stover candy, scented perfume, fancy dinner at a high-end restaurant. On V-Day alone, he would've spent at least $500, if not more.
OMG, that is utterly ridiculous and does not happen. I have never in my life been cold approached for a V Day date and had half a thousand friggin' dollars spent on me. Give us a darned break. If you desperately grab for someone who requires all that just so you have a V Day date then that is on you. Pefume? Plus flowers plus dinner plus....plus...plus...Oh come ON. Spare us. For some stranger?

OTOH, if it is for your actual SO, and you are dating someone that high maintenance, that is on you. I mean really. Any woman who demands all this or else, is not only demanding on this day...and you know it. V Day is not the problem here. But I am assuming it is not an SO as you say the guy is desperate for a date. This is really just silly.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-12-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Yes, its different.
It’s akin to telling someone they should vs allowing someone to build something with someone on their own.

Whether or not you personally enjoy the festivities associated with the day is irrelevant.
It’s a day to do business more than it’s one of individual love.
There is no "a!lowed." There is no city ordinance, LOL! You don't get fined for not celebrating V Day.

I mean the drama.

And FWIW, some people LIKE this one day to be public, do PDA and the like. Some people who are wild about each other want to shout it from the rooftops but their whiny hyperbolic friends b*itch about it when they do. But hey, at least they get this one day...during which, apparently, their whiny hyperbolic friends will also b*tch about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships