Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I feel about VDay the same that I feel about New Year's. They're not real holidays, but it's fun to acknowledge them, and you don't have to be obnoxious about it. Sparkling wine and good snacks are always welcome.

I am cracking up that Super Bowl Sunday is being thrown around as a high pressure couples holiday, though.
I know, LOL!

SBSs makes me feel highly pressured to bring the most awesome snacks and not make bad armchair calls. I am REALLY good at the former and pretty shaky on the latter.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm sure men hate Valentine's Day because it has degenerated into a materialistic Female Worship Day. There's a damn good reason the breakup season takes place between New Year and Valentine's Day.
Probably 60 years or so ago, women expected to get flowers and not give a bought something in return.

Back in the day, when women didn't make money but men did, a guy would have bought something, a woman would have had to give something less materialistic, I suppose?

I know few...actually, no women with such an entitled attitude and no thought to also showing appreciation.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
I am not big on fighting crowds, in fact I hate it. Many of the activities I do are during off times to avoid crowds. If I have to I can handle crowds just fine, but things like Valentines Day promote going out to dinner when everybody else wants to go. The service sucks, everyone is stressed, and their are lines, and long wait times, but if you don't go the woman will be disappointed, and will think you don't care about her enough. It is a total crock.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am not big on fighting crowds, in fact I hate it. Many of the activities I do are during off times to avoid crowds. If I have to I can handle crowds just fine, but things like Valentines Day promote going out to dinner when everybody else wants to go. The service sucks, everyone is stressed, and their are lines, and long wait times, but if you don't go the woman will be disappointed, and will think you don't care about her enough. It is a total crock.
If you can sell it correctly, you can get the woman to agree to a good meal at home and not having to fight a crowd.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:16 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If you can sell it correctly, you can get the woman to agree to a good meal at home and not having to fight a crowd.
Not with the drama queens I have dated/married.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:19 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Then it seems like the holiday itself was never your problem.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Anyone that super adamant about going out on Vday just to be seen would never be a wife and would be a significant other no longer.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:38 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I've had several male bosses and friends over the years who whine about Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, and wedding anniversaries being "Hallmark Holidays."

WTF !?!

These men had wonderful wives and GFs who did more housework than the guys, more childcare than the guys (many raising the guy's stepchildren), buying the guy's favourite foods at the supermarket, did more cooking than the guys, and created the couple's social lives.

And Mr can't take an hour or so 3 - 5 days a year to find a gift or experience (restaurant dinner, mani-pedi certificate) for the gal who has done so much for him?

WTF?
I this is precisely the reason.....

There isn't a holiday to celebrate the husband's contribution to the household. Assumption that her contribution is greater than his worthy of a highly commercialized holiday is flat out wrong. It screems entitlement...

You, as the coworker, don't really know what happens in their household. So that's speculation.

It should be a celebration of the couple. It would go a long way to also do something for your husband's on this day... Especially in a household of equals.

Last edited by usayit; 02-11-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 01:45 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
We've always been a family that shuns a lot of the high pressure and highly commercialized holidays. My group of friends are pretty much the same....

Even in college, I felt lucky as my future wife wasn't the entitled type.... I always felt bad for the financially strapped college guys who felt obligated to spend big on these days.

This valentines, I'll probably take my bartender friend out for dinner... No pressure... Platonic friends. She has been a good resource for support lately and has recently broke up. Maybe also bring along a few more friends of mine that really aren't the Valentines types.

Last edited by usayit; 02-11-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Are all of you people talking about how one sided Valentines day is forgetting about the v-day b-jay? And don't give me this "he gets enough of those the rest of the year" crap. Another one is always nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships