Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:15 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There's a break-up season? Wow, and I only paid attention to the flu and hurricane seasons....
The expression is partially humorous. But the largest number of breakups does take place between these holidays.

Thinks about it: people slog though subpar relationships because they "need" a romantic partner for certain times of year. There's pressure to have a partner by your side at family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas. There's pressure so have someone to kiss on New Year. There's pressure to have someone to cuddle with when snow melts and spring fever strikes. There's pressure to have someone to fool around with during sweaty, sultry summer days; or a "guaranteed" date for the wedding season in the summer. There's pressure to have a partner for those raunchy Halloween parties. But Valentine's Day? It's a financial sinkhole, especially when a breakup is looming. Hence, breakup season.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:18 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
YOU might feel all that pressure, I never have. I think it's odd to feel pressure to be with someone, especially "anyone" at family gatherings - I only took people who were special to stuff like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm sure men hate Valentine's Day because it has degenerated into a materialistic Female Worship Day. There's a damn good reason the breakup season takes place between New Year and Valentine's Day.
This is a valid point believe it or not. The only reason I held off on breaking up with my girlfriend through Christmas and New Years is because Christmas was our trip and I figured I can then make an informed decision there after. As most regulars know, that trip was a disaster and first week of January, we both knew what time it was.

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
The expression is partially humorous. But the largest number of breakups does take place between these holidays.

Thinks about it: people slog though subpar relationships because they "need" a romantic partner for certain times of year. There's pressure to have an SO by your side at family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas. There's pressure so have someone to kiss on New Year. There's pressure to have someone to cuddle with when snow melts and spring fever strikes. There's pressure to have someone to fool around with during sweaty, sultry summer days. There's pressure to have a partner for those raunchy Halloween parties. But Valentine's Day? It's a big financial sinkhole, especially when a breakup is looming. Hence, breakup season.
You forgot Super Bowl Sunday in this. By one's late 20s/early 30s, almost all Super Bowl parties are couples only affairs. It can be quite uncomfortable to be the only single in a room of all couples.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:19 AM

[quote=RJ312;50992227][quote]=MillennialUrbanist;50992198]There's pressure to have an SO by your side at family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Quote:

You forgot Super Bowl Sunday in this. By one's late 20s/early 30s, almost all Super Bowl parties are couples only affairs. It can be quite uncomfortable to be the only single in a room of all couples.

You joke, right?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 AM

[quote=Mikala43;50992235][quote=RJ312;50992227]
Quote:
=MillennialUrbanist;50992198]There's pressure to have an SO by your side at family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You joke, right?
Not a joke at all. Super Bowl Sunday as a single in a room of all couples can be a form of torture.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
YOU might feel all that pressure, I never have. I think it's odd to feel pressure to be with someone, especially "anyone" at family gatherings - I only took people who were special to stuff like that.
Well, especially in the South and especially in a Black family, that pressure is thick and very present. When you approach 30 as a Black male with no girlfriend in sight, people will wonder if you swing the other way or what is your problem otherwise?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
In my experience, not in the slightest. All Super Bowl Sundays I attended for the past 4 years were diverse mixes of singles and couples, and no one gave a rat's behind who was which. It was diverse age-wise too. Not a trace of awkwardness in sight. Although maybe I was lucky at picking who to watch it with.

Whatever happened to the stereotype of Super Bowl Sunday being a guy thing, with women just shaking their heads at it?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
In my experience, not in the slightest. All Super Bowl Sundays I attended for the past 4 years were diverse mixes of singles and couples, and no one gave a rat's behind who was which.
In my experience, once single guys coupled off, they started bringing their gfs to game watching parties. Then the gfs became wives. The game watching parties turned into a litmus test on one's relationship status. Basically, Super Bowl Sunday became couples only. If you were a couple, you could go and feel included. If you were a single, you got invited but basically no one talked to you.

In my social circle, I'll only go to a Super Bowl party now as a coupled off person and not as a single.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Well, especially in the South and especially in a Black family, that pressure is thick and very present. When you approach 30 as a Black male with no girlfriend in sight, people will wonder if you swing the other way or what is your problem otherwise?
I can see that, same with more traditional Mexican families (and Filipinos, and Chinese, and...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships