Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times

Advertisements

'If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.'

The definition of commitment can cause some misunderstandings and, like most things in life, is best resolved on a case by case basis. To some it may mean marriage, to others exclusivity and to others still, cohabitation. Define your terms before you set your goals and work out what's realistic for your situation.

I'm yet to see the appeal of anything beyond 'let's just see each other when we feel like it' and even that would take some major lifestyle adjustments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 09:26 PM

639 posts, read 376,762 times
We have an entire generation not getting married. Not sure what you're talking about.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
We have an entire generation not getting married. Not sure what you're talking about.
They commit to each other, though. Many people live together. I think people are smart not to jump into marriage even if they feel very in love. People try to make not just emotional but intelligent choices. They also wait longer to marry in order to get an education and try to get careers underway.

Again, smart.

As to the OP, I do feel men are way more anxious to make things official than in the past. I think I saw this really starting to change maybe 15-20 years ago. This is against a perspective of having dated since 35 or so years ago. There just started to be a shift.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
They commit to each other, though. Many people live together. I think people are smart not to jump into marriage even if they feel very in love. People try to make not just emotional but intelligent choices. They also wait longer to marry in order to get an education and try to get careers underway.

Again, smart.

As to the OP, I do feel men are way more anxious to make things official than in the past. I think I saw this really starting to change maybe 15-20 years ago. This is against a perspective of having dated since 35 or so years ago. There just started to be a shift.

People are jumping ship left and right to the perceived bigger and better. There are mothers with multiple children to different guys everywhere. No idea where you are getting your ideas from. Many that are 'waiting until marriage' are attempting to do so with already having a child.

There is entire movement of men abandoning marriage altogether, and it is growing at an exponential rate.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
People are jumping ship left and right to the perceived bigger and better. There are mothers with multiple children to different guys everywhere. No idea where you are getting your ideas from. Many that are 'waiting until marriage' are attempting to do so with already having a child.

There is entire movement of men abandoning marriage altogether, and it is growing at an exponential rate.
Okay, so do you propose we force people to get married?

Sex and having babies isn't going to stop...marriage or not. It's just a natural fact of life.

My own experience is, men seem deeper, warmer, more expressive and very commitment minded now more so than in the past. That doesn't have to mean marriage but it often does. With women working guys don't necessarily have that full burden anymore and I think it makes them less afraid of committing, again, whether that means marriage or not.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Sex and having babies isn't going to stop...marriage or not. It's just a natural fact of life.

My own experience is, men seem deeper, warmer, more expressive and very commitment minded now more so than in the past. That doesn't have to mean marriage but it often does. With women working guys don't necessarily have that full burden anymore and I think it makes them less afraid of committing, again, whether that means marriage or not.
I'm not sure where you are getting how either side is commitment minded in today's age, but many would disagree with you. .https://www.bentley.edu/impact/artic...se-get-married

Fewer than half of US kids live in 'traditional' family | Pew Research Center

The result of it all, single moms. multiple dads to different children. Ultimately an unstable home environment. Destruction of the family unit.

The root cause can be traced back to the feminist movement.

And people wonder why kids are shooting other kids at school.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are getting how either side is commitment minded in today's age, but many would disagree with you. .https://www.bentley.edu/impact/artic...se-get-married

Fewer than half of US kids live in 'traditional' family | Pew Research Center

The result of it all, single moms. multiple dads to different children. Ultimately an unstable home environment. Destruction of the family unit.

The root cause can be traced back to the feminist movement.

And people wonder why kids are shooting other kids at school.
Holy segue, Batman! Kids shooting other kids????

Old 03-28-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Holy segue, Batman! Kids shooting other kids????
Turn on the news for 10 minutes, and listen.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Turn on the news for 10 minutes, and listen.
I did, but I missed the segment about kids killing kids ‘cuz feminism.

Was that on the K-UR Psycho Far Reaching Paranoia Hour? I always miss that show, it’s on when I’m grooming my armpit hair and slamming doors in men’s faces.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times
Quote:
I nominate myself to be the first noble sacrifice in opposition to this cause. You buggers'll never take me alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships