Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
The result of it all, single moms. multiple dads to different children. Ultimately an unstable home environment. Destruction of the family unit.

The root cause can be traced back to the feminist movement.
It's the feminist movement that's causing men to abandon women whom they've impregnated and the resulting children from these encounters? It's telling that you're blaming the single mothers who are doing the work and raising these kids in a less-than-ideal situation for the downfall of society, but not the sperm donors who pumped and dumped them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 01:44 PM

349 posts, read 991,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
In my experience women are usually in a relationship with someone and rarely single for long. A woman single in a bar tends to mean she's just split up with someone.

Just in terms of the large office I work in, mostly women, pretty much every woman over 40 is married if not divorced, the 30s women are usually married or in a committed relationship and the 20s women usually have boyfriends. This is right across the spectrum in terms of looks/weight/personality etc.

Out of the few single ones, most are in their 20s and either enjoying playing the field on Tinder/OLD, or just very picky and have impossible standards.

By contrast there's a lot of single guys working there. This make up has been the same at every place i've worked. There's always a much higher ratio of single men to single women, same in college and school. Even though there's more women in the office there's more single men.

I think bachelor women tend to be either divorced women who are now happier alone after a bad marriage, or widow's.

Bingo. Same experience. Although I have to say that single men over 30 who aren't in a relationship are also quite rare, I've hardly ever seen any at work other than myself. But comparatively speaking of course single men are much more numerous than single women - in this country at least, and at the current time period.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Bingo. Same experience. Although I have to say that single men over 30 who aren't in a relationship are also quite rare, I've hardly ever seen any at work other than myself. But comparatively speaking of course single men are much more numerous than single women - in this country at least, and at the current time period.
Yeah, I don't know many over-30 never married men either. Certainly not a very disproportionate amount of single men v. women, anyway.

So I looked it up...more men than women but not to a ridiculous extent. According to the U.S. Census, of people over 18, currently single are made up of 53.2% female, 46.8% men. Certainly not droves of men lined up along the walls at the dance, anyway.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:36 AM

641 posts, read 405,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yeah, I don't know many over-30 never married men either. Certainly not a very disproportionate amount of single men v. women, anyway.

So I looked it up...more men than women but not to a ridiculous extent. According to the U.S. Census, of people over 18, currently single are made up of 53.2% female, 46.8% men. Certainly not droves of men lined up along the walls at the dance, anyway.
Men die younger so a lot of those single women will be either widowed or divorced. The older ages (50s onwards) are where there's a lot more single women and the balance starts to shift to men in dating.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I did, but I missed the segment about kids killing kids ‘cuz feminism.

Was that on the K-UR Psycho Far Reaching Paranoia Hour? I always miss that show, it’s on when I’m grooming my armpit hair and slamming doors in men’s faces.
Not feminism. Socioeconomics. The formula for socioeconomic success is to get your education, get your career launched, meet someone who is your socioeconomic equal, and then think about reproducing. And then stay married. The poverty rate among single mothers is astronomical. That puts huge stress in children. So does divorce. Look at the places with the riots. 80% single mother households. Very high poverty rate. Gangs. Drugs. Guns. That’s every failed city in the country.

That all has nothing to do with feminism. An uneducated single mother in Section 8 housing isn’t a feminist. A feminist gets their education and launches their career. That gives them a lot of cushion for life’s inevitable mistakes. You can be a single mother and not be forced into the ghetto. You can pick the wrong guy, divorce, and not land in the ghetto. The socioeconomic math works better if you marry your equal and stay married but you’ll likely be fine if that doesn’t happen.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:30 PM

174 posts, read 113,288 times
I've been more commitment phobic that any guy I've dated. I can support myself, and I am relatively happy. I also like my freedom. What does a guy come with? Responsibilities. I have to compromise where to eat. I have to cook dinner. I have to clean his house every once in a while. I have to get him small presents to show "I care". I have to make sure I always look hot and am working out a lot more because I have to be his best option/something he can show off to his friends. Then I have to be available for sex, but not too available because men need their alone time. I also hate sharing a bed or sleeping in a bed that is not mine. I hate waking up early in the morning in an apartment that isn't mine just to cook some breakfast. I don't even eat breakfast when I'm on my own. I hate having to make his bed/clean his room while he showers. I really don't win in a committed relationship. I just become a free maid and chef who is on demand for sex.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:51 PM

641 posts, read 405,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not feminism. Socioeconomics. The formula for socioeconomic success is to get your education, get your career launched, meet someone who is your socioeconomic equal, and then think about reproducing. And then stay married. The poverty rate among single mothers is astronomical. That puts huge stress in children. So does divorce. Look at the places with the riots. 80% single mother households. Very high poverty rate. Gangs. Drugs. Guns. That’s every failed city in the country.

That all has nothing to do with feminism. An uneducated single mother in Section 8 housing isn’t a feminist. A feminist gets their education and launches their career. That gives them a lot of cushion for life’s inevitable mistakes. You can be a single mother and not be forced into the ghetto. You can pick the wrong guy, divorce, and not land in the ghetto. The socioeconomic math works better if you marry your equal and stay married but you’ll likely be fine if that doesn’t happen.
And everything to do with the breakup of the family unit.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
Men die younger so a lot of those single women will be either widowed or divorced. The older ages (50s onwards) are where there's a lot more single women and the balance starts to shift to men in dating.
There is just a 2.3% difference between total men and total women in the U.S., across a lifetime according to the U.S. Census.

Meanwhile total people over age 62 is quite a minority anyway, at just 14%.

Scroll to p. 4, 2010 data (right-hand section of table).

Meanwhile, a fair portion of divorced at older ages, or widowed women never want to remarry or even date, so again, the numbers are brought a bit back in balance. There may be "more" over-65, say, women but there are fewer who want to hook up.

There is no very significant imbalance of sexes in the U.S. even accounting for more males born (slightly) or more female survivors (less than 3% more) after age 70.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:16 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's the feminist movement that's causing men to abandon women whom they've impregnated and the resulting children from these encounters? It's telling that you're blaming the single mothers who are doing the work and raising these kids in a less-than-ideal situation for the downfall of society, but not the sperm donors who pumped and dumped them.
Exactly. There are many men who have multiple children by multiple women. I don’t know why only the women seem to be blamed by some posters. There is a guy called Desmond Hatchett who has over thirty children by eleven different women and another man, Orlando Shaw, who has twenty-two children by fourteen different women. Men can father many more children than any one woman can give birth to.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
It’s no longer the soup du jour or boogie man to fear when just as many of the opposite gender are in the same boat and given the same opportunities as one another.

Thats what happens when progress is made and the same respects are given to everyone.
you are no longer victims of circumstance, You’re able bodied participants.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-30-2018 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships