Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 PM

1,159 posts, read 625,615 times

Advertisements

I disagree. My now husband, we met at work and it worked out fine. I was a regular cashier and he was the supervisor.
If you both are mature about it, things should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,618,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'd easily date someone from my workplace if women actually worked in my industry. I'm single and jealous of those that can meet women through work, because it gets hard as you get older. I have to rely on dating apps. Now I have no way to meet women and would easily give up my job and find a new one for a LRT or love from work.

Dating at work is not good IMO....too many ways it can go bad.....but what do you do there are no women in your industry?

Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,429,922 times
I dated someone I worked with once; and although it ended badly, we didn't let it spill over into the workplace.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:41 PM

5,821 posts, read 3,900,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
I disagree. My now husband, we met at work and it worked out fine. I was a regular cashier and he was the supervisor.
May I ask how old both of you are? It makes a HUGE difference when it happened. 50 years ago, meeting (romantically) at work was totally fine, if not altogether normal. 20 years ago, it was doable at a seasonal or a retail job, but not a corporate job. Today, when a man runs the risk of getting #MeToo'ed at an emotional whim and a snap of some woman's fingers, meeting at work is a HUGE no-no.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:32 AM

154 posts, read 74,793 times
Quote:
I'd easily date someone from my workplace if women actually worked in my industry. I'm single and jealous of those that can meet women through work, because it gets hard as you get older. I have to rely on dating apps. Now I have no way to meet women and would easily give up my job and find a new one for a LRT or love from work.

Oh give me a break.
There are many ways to meet women besides on the job or dating apps. One of the best ways is simply getting out and mingling------
Go dancing, and if you're not a good dancer, take lessons. That's a great way to meet people.
Other ways are join toastmasters, enroll in an art class, join a gym or a club for singles, participate in community events, do karaoke.
I'm not a church person but many people meet that way, or by volunteering at charitable events.
These are only a few suggestions. If you think you're limited to meeting women at work or on a website then you don't get out enough.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
May I ask how old both of you are? It makes a HUGE difference when it happened. 50 years ago, meeting (romantically) at work was totally fine, if not altogether normal. 20 years ago, it was doable at a seasonal or a retail job, but not a corporate job. Today, when a man runs the risk of getting #MeToo'ed at an emotional whim and a snap of some woman's fingers, meeting at work is a HUGE no-no.

This is spot on.
I think men are certainly on the losing side with the me-too movement, but in some ways I totally understand why this came about.
Many things go against being romantically involved with co-workers these days and many companies discourage it for good reasons. One reason is they rightfully want to protect themselves from any kind of HR issues that could blow up and result in lawsuits, bad publicity, or loss of profits.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:53 AM

11,208 posts, read 9,835,806 times
My company had only one policy regarding workplace relationships, and that was that you cannot work for, or supervise, your SO. We had numerous departments and 2000 employees, so if you wanted to date a superior or someone under your supervision, then someone had to transfer to a different position.

I dated a co-worker from my own department, same pay grade, for a year. Towards the end of that year we were drifting apart, and we stopped going out. At about the same time I found out that he had been cheating on me for 6 months with our former supervisor and they'd just gotten engaged! So that stung, but I made sure that she knew that he had not been exclusive with her during that time. Apparently she didn't know about me either. They eventually got past that and got married, but it was always awkward around the 2 of them after that, especially when she had to interview me for a position in her unit.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My company had only one policy regarding workplace relationships, and that was that you cannot work for, or supervise, your SO. We had numerous departments and 2000 employees, so if you wanted to date a superior or someone under your supervision, then someone had to transfer to a different position.

I dated a co-worker from my own department, same pay grade, for a year. Towards the end of that year we were drifting apart, and we stopped going out. At about the same time I found out that he had been cheating on me for 6 months with our former supervisor and they'd just gotten engaged! So that stung, but I made sure that she knew that he had not been exclusive with her during that time. Apparently she didn't know about me either. They eventually got past that and got married, but it was always awkward around the 2 of them after that, especially when she had to interview me for a position in her unit.

Your story is a living example of why being romantically involved with anyone on the job is a bad idea.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:57 PM

4,421 posts, read 2,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
Oh give me a break.
There are many ways to meet women besides on the job or dating apps. One of the best ways is simply getting out and mingling------
Go dancing, and if you're not a good dancer, take lessons. That's a great way to meet people.
Other ways are join toastmasters, enroll in an art class, join a gym or a club for singles, participate in community events, do karaoke.
I'm not a church person but many people meet that way, or by volunteering at charitable events.
These are only a few suggestions. If you think you're limited to meeting women at work or on a website then you don't get out enough.
I hate when people make assumptions. I've already joined my own clubs I'm interested in.

Joined a young professionals group. There are 1-2 girls I'm sort of interested in, but I'm not sure if they and I feel strongly enough.

Joined a running group - Only one girl in my age group who has a boyfriend.

Joined a softball team. 4 girls total and was only attracted to one who has a boyfriend.

Joined crossfit in the past - Didn't really talk to or meet any girls. People didn't really seem to socialize much.

Jointed toastmasters in the past. It was all older people and there were no young single girls.

And "singles club" or dancing?? YOu have to be joking. There is no such thing as a singles club, and Meetups are lame with lame people. You have to be in your 50's or older.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,429,922 times
Quote:
I hate when people make assumptions. I've already joined my own clubs I'm interested in.

Joined a young professionals group. There are 1-2 girls I'm sort of interested in, but I'm not sure if they and I feel strongly enough.

Joined a running group - Only one girl in my age group who has a boyfriend.

Joined a softball team. 4 girls total and was only attracted to one who has a boyfriend.

Joined crossfit in the past - Didn't really talk to or meet any girls. People didn't really seem to socialize much.

Jointed toastmasters in the past. It was all older people and there were no young single girls.

And "singles club" or dancing?? YOu have to be joking. There is no such thing as a singles club, and Meetups are lame with lame people. You have to be in your 50's or older.
I remember a singles club in my area years ago, there were 20 women and one man. And the one man was separated, not yet divorced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships