Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 06:33 AM

22,354 posts, read 29,470,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
A lot of that is the obsession with smart phones and social media.
Many people these days are buried in their phones and don't bother to look away from their screens to realize there are people to meet and places to see in the real world.
I cannot agree more. It's pretty sad how unsociable people now are these days. They actually do not have any social skills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 03:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i still cant understand this thread. if halle barry was your co-worker and she wanted to date you, you would say no because she happens to get a paycheck from the same tax entity ?

If you can't see at least a half-dozen scenarios where this could go down the tubes and take your career with it, then you haven't been around the block very many times. Even if you don't have to explain matters to HR, it can cause all kinds of problems. For your working relationship with the other person, your other colleagues, and your reputation. About the last thing you want to be in any office setting is Topic Number Uno in the break room.

But, hey, go ahead and nail that cute clerk over in accounting. Roll the dice. It might even work out for you. But the odds are against it, which means some serious consequences might come into play.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,646,957 times
Quote:
The McDonald's CEO was fired for having a consensual relationship with a co-worker. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/b...ceo-fired.html
These kinds of workplace romances are becoming more unacceptable at many companies and not just with management. Every company I've worked for strongly discourages inter-office relationships of this kind.
This is a warning to be careful how you conduct yourself at work because what was once accepted or even encouraged could now get anyone in trouble or even terminated.
It is never a good idea to seek out co-workers for romantic relationships. You go to work to do the jobs you are assigned, not to fish in the company pond.
I personally stay away from such complexities (to put it mildly). But the odd thing is that even though a company puts out a blatant policy against coworkers dating, you can usually find out within a month or so the people who are doing it. More often than not, they break up and it gets very awkward (or worse).

I prefer to meet women at (1) the gym, (2) the hiking trails or (3) a running event. All those places are very far away from work - the way I like it (lol).

I'm not naive though. As a guy, I know there are guys out there who are egomaniacs and jump at the first chance to date the "hottie" at work. I've seen them get in trouble for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzx8KHjQD6c

Old 01-07-2020, 12:39 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If you can't see at least a half-dozen scenarios where this could go down the tubes and take your career with it, then you haven't been around the block very many times. Even if you don't have to explain matters to HR, it can cause all kinds of problems. For your working relationship with the other person, your other colleagues, and your reputation. About the last thing you want to be in any office setting is Topic Number Uno in the break room.

But, hey, go ahead and nail that cute clerk over in accounting. Roll the dice. It might even work out for you. But the odds are against it, which means some serious consequences might come into play.
Oh so you resurrected an old thread because you're such an expert?

I know people who got MARRRIED....thru work. Usually it works out if they are in different departments. Shoot....the couples even carpool together. Lol

I know a animal control officer that is married to a cop. And yes, the 2 professions fall under the same umbrella

Old 01-07-2020, 12:43 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I personally stay away from such complexities (to put it mildly). But the odd thing is that even though a company puts out a blatant policy against coworkers dating, you can usually find out within a month or so the people who are doing it. More often than not, they break up and it gets very awkward (or worse).

I prefer to meet women at (1) the gym, (2) the hiking trails or (3) a running event. All those places are very far away from work - the way I like it (lol).

I'm not naive though. As a guy, I know there are guys out there who are egomaniacs and jump at the first chance to date the "hottie" at work. I've seen them get in trouble for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzx8KHjQD6c
They only get in trouble if she's not interested and they keep harassing her.

Oh and women typically want to be left alone at the gym. In fact, they equate it to dating a co worker,. Don't want to eat where they ****. So go figure, but ironic since you say the same thing applies to the workplace lol

Old 01-07-2020, 06:00 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,581,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

living a fulfilling life means taking sensible risks.

i weigh it as choosing a lousy paycheck (if one is good at their job, one can more easily get a new one); rather than, having a potential fulfilling relationship, spouse, children, ... in most states your employer can fire/lay-off without stating a reason.

why are so many trying to force this ideology; eventhough, someone elses failed relationship has no burden on them ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-07-2020 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 06:31 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Oh so you resurrected an old thread because you're such an expert?

I know people who got MARRRIED....thru work. Usually it works out if they are in different departments. Shoot....the couples even carpool together. Lol
a
Same here. I know people who met through the workplace. They worked for very large corporations..sometimes they met coincidentally somewhere else. Corporations shouldn't put a blanket ban on all workplace relationships.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM

669 posts, read 321,679 times
The non-fraternization policy at McDonald’s does not allow employees to date direct or indirect subordinates[/b], and when you’re the CEO that eliminates just about everyone from your dating pool.

Indirect subordinate is linear in terms of authority regarding the corp hierarchy.

This gives examples. So it's not a cart-blanche ban on all employee relationships.
https://simplicable.com/new/direct-r...ndirect-report

In this also high profile case below, this was because it was not disclosed (looks like it may not be any sort of reporting relationship, but just not disclosing it).

https://business.financialpost.com/n...r-with-staffer

Old 01-07-2020, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 3,090 times
Quote:
The McDonald's CEO was fired for having a consensual relationship with a co-worker. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/b...ceo-fired.html
These kinds of workplace romances are becoming more unacceptable at many companies and not just with management. Every company I've worked for strongly discourages inter-office relationships of this kind.
This is a warning to be careful how you conduct yourself at work because what was once accepted or even encouraged could now get anyone in trouble or even terminated.
It is never a good idea to seek out co-workers for romantic relationships. You go to work to do the jobs you are assigned, not to fish in the company pond.
Basic business ethics. You can't have a CEO or supervisor Mod cut. his employees. Calls into question the reliability & professionalism of the entire business. Pours credibility down the drain. It's a damn good way for small businesses to bite the dust, sometimes faster than the bank pulling the loan.

Employees on same level getting into relationships is actually, in many ways, passable. In fact, without verifiable proof that those employees are breaking company rules if a business fires someone because they are in a relationship that business can potentially be sued for just about anything under the sun. Seriously. Someone fired for a relationship can just as easily turn around & say they were fired cause they are Black, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, use a wheelchair, etc. & unless the business can prove that person was fired not because they are Black or Asian or Jewish or Muslim or Christian or Disabled but because of a relationship that business has gone and Mod cut. itself over from here to the sun & back again.

It's why most businesses really don't give a damn about same level employees in relationships unless employees are screwing off when they should be working, do something that puts others at risk, or make the business ethics questionable.

Reality. Biggest issue of work relationships is when things go south & you gotta work with the person you were sleeping with the week after.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-07-2020 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishGal View Post
. Someone fired for a relationship can just as easily turn around & say they were fired cause they are Black, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, use a wheelchair, etc. & unless the business can prove that person was fired not because they are Black or Asian or Jewish or Muslim or Christian or Disabled but because of a relationship that business has gone and fked itself over from here to the sun & back again. .
It's very difficult for a plaintiff to win these cases. Proving discrimination is very hard to do. The EEOC won't take a case unless it's a slam dunk; then you're on your own and need to cough up a retainer fee to pay a lawyer. Something a lot of recently fired people can't afford to do. Even if they can afford it, it can be hard to win their case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships