Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,884,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They shouldn't care, because it's not their business anyway. In a lot of European countries it's very acceptable for co-workers to date each other. I don't know why American businesses try so hard to control what their workers do in their private lives.
Because having happy, non-burned-out workers who don't fear for their jobs goes against the American values! Am I right or am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 04:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,970 times
I started a new job, and I'm actually considering dating maybe not someone that works directly with me, but say...perhaps ... women in a different department. I got to talking to a woman in another department about sci-fi stuff, but I really hardly ever able to see her.

I am finding it more appealing than the lame online dating crap, where emails go unanswered. Nothing beats the appeal of organic interaction.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:48 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,583,148 times
i fail to see how something that doesnt affect me is problematic.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:53 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,461,630 times
Quote:
They shouldn't care, because it's not their business anyway. In a lot of European countries it's very acceptable for co-workers to date each other. I don't know why American businesses try so hard to control what their workers do in their private lives.
The long and short of it: It creates inequality in the work place when you have a structure built around hierarchy. senior staff managing people that are intimately familiar with naturally creates a personal bias between them. Management shouldn’t be creating bias between themselves and their staff members, they should be protecting against it to avoid making personal choices over business choices and/or allowing personal feelings to affect the business as a whole.

All employees should be handled the same and given the same opportunity. Introducing personal feeling in to the matter immediately complicates things. It’s similar to the reasons why so many family owed and operated businesses struggle with management and direction choices.

Obviously not all businesses are the same, so this may or may not apply to every employer or professional outlet.

Last edited by rego00123; 01-24-2020 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 04:17 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
They should care. It is their business because it's the business environment.
How would you feel if your manager was dating your office mate and the very same office mate got the good projects, the bonuses and the raises and you got squat.

Workplace dating should have clear guidelines and rules that make the environment fair and equitable for all workers.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:07 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
The long and short of it: It creates inequality in the work place when you have a structure built around hierarchy. senior staff managing people that are intimately familiar with naturally creates a personal bias between them. Management shouldn’t be creating bias between themselves and their staff members, they should be protecting against it to avoid making personal choices over business choices and/or allowing personal feelings to affect the business as a whole.

All employees should be handled the same and given the same opportunity. Introducing personal feeling in to the matter immediately complicates things. It’s similar to the reasons why so many family owed and operated businesses struggle with management and direction choices.

Obviously not all businesses are the same, so this may or may not apply to every employer or professional outlet.
We are not talking about managers dating their subordinates....we're talking about employee/employee dating

Old 01-25-2020, 04:00 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,412 times
Depends on the job. I would never start a relation in my current job.
At my last job however, I'd scrap it for a decent ONS.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,884,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Depends on the job. I would never start a relation in my current job.
At my last job however, I'd scrap it for a decent ONS.
I'd only date coworkers in a seasonal or a retail job, with a clear end date and/or no relevance to my career. While I didn't actually date in such jobs I held when I was young, I definitely flirted with a few girls I worked with. The flirting was fully G-rated, like play-wrestling in the pool we worked at, where I was Maintenance and she was Food Service, and we'd go for a swim after our shifts. But it wouldn't happen if some degree of attraction wasn't there.

Although most likely, I wouldn't bother even there. Times changed. In today's social climate, I'd get MeToo'ed into next Tuesday even for saying "good morning" in the wrong tone of voice! Let alone honoring her request "come keep me warm!" while we swam together.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-25-2020 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 05:32 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,757,962 times
I am thinking I can date a certain coworker since we both work in different offices in different sections of the city

Old 01-25-2020, 05:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They should care. It is their business because it's the business environment.
How would you feel if your manager was dating your office mate and the very same office mate got the good projects, the bonuses and the raises and you got squat.
Do you realize this already happens all the time with nepotism? I've worked with people who got paid more for the same job because they were the son or daughter of the boss, or the niece or nephew of the boss, or...you get the picture.

So what you have stated is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships