Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:13 PM

33 posts, read 11,057 times

Advertisements

Meh, the workplace is one of the three most common places for someone to meet their partner and if there isn't a conflict (manager and subordinate) and the employer doesn't expressly forbid it, the relationship is no one's business. My girlfriend and I met at work. There are 5 other couples in our department, 3 of which are married. Everyone acts professionally but in the line of work I'm in, it's hard not to form close bonds with coworkers and some of those bonds develop into romantic relationships. Hell, when my girlfriend and I started dating, even my manager asked me what took me so long as it was so obvious we both had feelings for each other.

A lot of us fraternize together on our off days, including doctors. It's tough not go get close to your fellow nurses and doctors when you work in a busy ER and have to rely on each other for help. Those that don't fraternize are usually the ones that are stuck up and think they're better than everyone.

Last edited by DieCastRN; 02-05-2020 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 11:16 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,605,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCastRN View Post
Meh, the workplace is one of the three most common places for someone to meet their partner and if there isn't a conflict (manager and subordinate) and the employer doesn't expressly forbid it, the relationship is no one's business. My girlfriend and I met at work. There are 5 other couples in our department, 3 of which are married. Everyone acts professionally but in the line of work I'm in, it's hard not to form close bonds with coworkers and some of those bonds develop into romantic relationships. Hell, when my girlfriend and I started dating, even my manager asked me what took me so long as it was so obvious we both had feelings for each other.

A lot of us fraternize together on our off days, including doctors. It's tough not go get close to your fellow nurses and doctors when you work in a busy ER and have to rely on each other for help. Those that don't fraternize are usually the ones that are stuck up and think they're better than everyone.
is this an episode of e.r., greys anatomy, scrubs, childrens hospital, ...

Old 02-06-2020, 12:05 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,423,239 times
I think for me, I always have preferred keeping my personal and work life separate. It doesn't mean I wouldn't pursue something with someone at work if it somehow happened, but I wouldn't go out of my way or pursue it, though.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,052,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd only date coworkers in a seasonal or a retail job, with a clear end date and/or no relevance to my career. While I didn't actually date in such jobs I held when I was young, I definitely flirted with a few girls I worked with. The flirting was fully G-rated, like play-wrestling in the pool we worked at, where I was Maintenance and she was Food Service, and we'd go for a swim after our shifts. But it wouldn't happen if some degree of attraction wasn't there.

Although most likely, I wouldn't bother even there. Times changed. In today's social climate, I'd get MeToo'ed into next Tuesday even for saying "good morning" in the wrong tone of voice! Let alone honoring her request "come keep me warm!" while we swam together.
Yeah....I recall broom closet sex during late shift at a call center

Old 02-06-2020, 09:09 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,630,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCastRN View Post

RNs know how stressful an ER or CCU can be........& fraternizing is not why we're at work.....so this "stuck up" thing...is super weird. We hardly ever get scheduled with the same people......A N D some people are more shy & quiet.......some develop friendships outside of work like people at other jobs......& some date but not many tho because most of us are in relationships or married. We all have different personalities for pete's sakes..........this is a silly post IMO.......

Old 02-06-2020, 11:01 AM

10,518 posts, read 7,112,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Oh so you resurrected an old thread because you're such an expert?

I know people who got MARRRIED....thru work. Usually it works out if they are in different departments. Shoot....the couples even carpool together. Lol

I know a animal control officer that is married to a cop. And yes, the 2 professions fall under the same umbrella

And I know people for whom it ended disastrously. As in the woman literally had to leave the company because she was dumped so badly. Or my client who asked out a co-worker with whom he got along. He was summoned to HR the next day and sent packing. See? We can swap stories all day.

Yes, it could pay off. Of course it can. But it can also be a complete fiasco, one where it does a number on your professional life.

I think I stated pretty early in this thread that if you are absolutely sure of yourself, then okay. But given the stakes, you better be really, really, really sure. And not casual about matters in the least.

The better thing to do is to not treat your job as a place to seek romantic interests. Instead, develop some people skills, widen your circle of acquaintances, and get out there more.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,423,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Or my client who asked out a co-worker with whom he got along. He was summoned to HR the next day and sent packing. See? We can swap stories all day.
Sent packing because he asked out a co-worker? Wow. That seems way too extreme, unless he was being disrespectful, sexually harassing her or something like that. Has to be more to that story.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 AM

10,518 posts, read 7,112,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Sent packing because he asked out a co-worker? Wow. That seems way too extreme, unless he was being disrespectful, sexually harassing her or something like that. Has to be more to that story.

Who knows what the actual story is?

In the end, it doesn't matter. The guy doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would make a particularly gross pass, grabbing her boobs in the copier room, but there's no telling. At the same time, his people skills aren't very good. Or maybe the woman had a hair trigger reaction. No telling.

Particularly in the MeToo era, all someone has to do is feel harassed, lodge a complaint, and bada-bing, you're out on the sidewalk with all your personal effects in a box. Some corporate cultures are more tolerant of such goings on, others not at all.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 AM

33 posts, read 11,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
RNs know how stressful an ER or CCU can be........& fraternizing is not why we're at work.....so this "stuck up" thing...is super weird. We hardly ever get scheduled with the same people......A N D some people are more shy & quiet.......some develop friendships outside of work like people at other jobs......& some date but not many tho because most of us are in relationships or married. We all have different personalities for pete's sakes..........this is a silly post IMO.......

In my shop we have set schedules, I work with the same people all the time. You can call it a silly post all you want, but that's what I'd expect from someone who doesn't get invited to hang out with their coworkers. Sorry my post hurt your fee fees.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,908,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
He was unattractive, plain and simple. When you're an unattractive man, even saying "good morning" to a woman is sexual harrassment. But not saying it is also sexual harrassment, for failing to acknowledge her. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Welcome to the new America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships