Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvlibvl View Post
What you said has literally nothing to do with what my thread even asked. You’re just loud and wrong. Please do not respond to my thread anymore.
I'm giving you a likely reason why. Used boxes are most likely free because they lose structure/strength and can't be dependent upon to keep customer's items secure that they're liable for in a move. What if you did utilize the free used boxes and your friend's items got damaged when they collapsed during shipment?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:01 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder if his moving price was competitive or higher than others would charge. Did you check on that?
So he was pulling the real-life equivalent of eBay sellers' "the price is cheap but the shipping will be ridiculous"? Then why not just charge more for the move, period, if he feels he needs to stiff his own girlfriend to make up the "loss"? (What is this, a matter of "he's willing to give the friend a break but not his own girlfriend"?) If he can't/doesn't want to do the job at the price, then he shouldn't have offered to.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:16 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loreli_1110 View Post
The used boxes are available, functional and FREEEEE to any person off the street needing them

Who told you this? I've worked with movers and they have had both types, but sold them at different costs. And I've also seen the used boxes free; but at a limit of 5 for each person.

So, to truly understand your problem; I'd need to know who specifically said these used boxes were free to anyone and as many as you needed.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:23 PM

17 posts, read 5,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Who told you this? I've worked with movers and they have had both types, but sold them at different costs. And I've also seen the used boxes free; but at a limit of 5 for each person.

So, to truly understand your problem; I'd need to know who specifically said these used boxes were free to anyone and as many as you needed.
The employees told me this. And I even called there earlier to confirm this and a warehouSe rep (I think that was his position) explained to me that people are allowed to pick up used ones, unless the quantity is extremely low

Old 01-27-2020, 07:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
Quote:
At my expense? And I explained that I’m trying to help and scraping money up to do so? That’s not capitalism. It’s foul and unnecessary
What makes you so special? Are you entitled? What would you do if the roles were reversed? You'd make every penny you could, if you'd help at all.
This is your ex boyfriend, not your husband, brother, cousin. I do things for my daughters, no labor charge just the cost for materials. He's looking to make money and there is nothing wrong with that. That's all, anyone else pays my markups and labor rates.

He's not a jerk, he's doing good business. Like it or not.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,100 times
Quote:
My bf and I were not on good terms and had put distance between one another. My close friend needed to move ASAP. She had found movers but I wanted to still support my bf so I reached out to him for the job. He asked if she had a truck, boxes, etc. I let him know she would be getting a truck and no to the boxes. Btw he is a mover. So, he gave me a quote based on the square feet of her apartment. His quote was just about the amount she had budgeted. She has a 2BR apartment and only one of the bedrooms was furnished along with the living, dining and kitchen having much furniture to pack and would charge $3200 to move her belongings into storage. He asked about boxes? I told him she doesn’t have any. He said he could provide them, but it would cost. I told him since I know she don’t have enough for it, I will work to come up w the money for the boxes for her to help.
Long story short, I went to his job to go pick them up a week later and found out his job actually has new and used boxes in their warehouse. The used boxes are available, functional and FREEEEE to any person off the street needing them and he withheld that information knowing I extended myself greatly by giving him money for boxes I barely could afford but did anyway. I felt alone and used that someone who knows my money is already tight, would allow me to pay for something that I could have gotten for free, and not even by him taking them or stealing, but by me just going to the job and simply asking for them. I wanted to support him and also help her. Am I overreacting by feeling taking advantage of? Any movers can give a POV to help me understand.
Thank you

Maybe I am cheap, but that seems like a lot of money to move furniture to a storage. Regarding the boxes, he is not your b/f now, so he obviously didn't care about your money or about you. Is he an ex or were you all trying to work on the relationship?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,282,245 times
Sorry, but he is taking advantage.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:39 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder if his moving price was competitive or higher than others would charge. Did you check on that?
I don't know how far the move was, but $3200 seems really high.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:10 PM

61,741 posts, read 87,172,581 times
It seems to be, that's why my question...

Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
I know of moving companies that don't reuse cardboard boxes because of liability (bug infestation and not being able to guarantee the structural integrity of a used box.) Giving them away is different because it's "at your own risk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships