Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:35 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

Sandals, especially flip flops.
Shaved head
Too muscular
big beard
big truck
tattoos
sports jerseys
^^ most guys in my area. lol.

Making faces (smirks, eye rolling, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 08:57 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I'm starting this thread in conjunction with ThisTown123's thread titled, "Do people look for petty reasons not to date?" Thought it might be enlightening to see what some of those 'petty' reasons are.

There's only 2 rules: I'm looking for 5 'reasons' (or 'turn offs) that have NOTHING to do with physical appearance. (unless you say something like, "(S)he's beautiful and KNOWS it"

This can include OLD, but I'm mostly talking about IRL.

I'll start the thread off by giving you my own 'top 5', not in any particular order.

1. Someone who claims to know about a topic--and obviously doesn't--and thinks you're "stupid" for not agreeing with them.

2. Someone who shows no consideration for others (spits on the ground, let's the door slam in your face, cuts in front of you in a line, etc...)

3. Someone who has an angry negative attitude. You've heard them before...

4. Someone who can only talk about ONE thing, and has no interest in talking about anything else.

5. Someone who drops "F-bombs" in every other sentence.

Those are mine.

What are YOURS?

Let's see how "petty" we are! (I don't expect this thread to get a lot of air play!)
I don't consider this above items to be "petty" in my opinion, they seem pretty valid.

A few petty things I suppose are the following:

Excessive chewing of gum, smacking on it.
Excessively into fashion, ie, a fashionista.
Excessively into "girl power" issues
Excessively into "woke" or social justice issues, I mean to the point that everything is a battle, all of the time.

I suppose those are petty I guess, I'll probably come up with more later.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:25 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I'm gonna put this out there as a bisexual woman, but I was thinking, "how do men deal with this?"

I was listening to a podcast, they were interviewing a very intelligent female historian that I like, which is why I was there, but the podcast itself (I'd never listened before and won't be doing so in the future, I think) was conducted by a few women, regularly... And all of the host women have this thing going on with their voices that was like nails on a chalkboard to me. ALL OF THEM.

When I was a teenager, we would refer to it as "Valley Girl" I guess. It's this, you expect them to say, "Like oh. my. god." every other sentence, where the voice goes up like a question at the end of statements that are not questions... Gah!

"We? as like...white womennn? Have to like, stop? And check? Our priviiilegge?" *shudder* Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Petty or not, I could not date someone who talks like that. Sorry, ladies, if that is any of you, but this east coast raised gal can't hang.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:32 AM

760 posts, read 421,586 times
A Valley girl is a socioeconomic, linguistic, and youth subcultural stereotype and stock character originating during the 1980s: any materialistic upper-middle-class young woman, associated with unique vocal and California dialect features, from the Los Angeles commuter communities of the San Fernando Valley.

Oh, I've met quite a few of them in LA, and let me tell you, if they are hot enough, many of us guys don't mind it all that much, especially when we are young and we don't have much going between our ears, ourselves, yet.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:42 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodfamilyMart View Post
A Valley girl is a socioeconomic, linguistic, and youth subcultural stereotype and stock character originating during the 1980s: any materialistic upper-middle-class young woman, associated with unique vocal and California dialect features, from the Los Angeles commuter communities of the San Fernando Valley.

Oh, I've met quite a few of them in LA, and let me tell you, if they are hot enough, many of us guys don't mind it all that much, especially when we are young and we don't have much going between our ears, ourselves, yet.
There you have it, Sporkie; "petty" and "insufferable" are in the eye of the beholder.

At least the gent was honest.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm gonna put this out there as a bisexual woman, but I was thinking, "how do men deal with this?"

I was listening to a podcast, they were interviewing a very intelligent female historian that I like, which is why I was there, but the podcast itself (I'd never listened before and won't be doing so in the future, I think) was conducted by a few women, regularly... And all of the host women have this thing going on with their voices that was like nails on a chalkboard to me. ALL OF THEM.

When I was a teenager, we would refer to it as "Valley Girl" I guess. It's this, you expect them to say, "Like oh. my. god." every other sentence, where the voice goes up like a question at the end of statements that are not questions... Gah!

"We? as like...white womennn? Have to like, stop? And check? Our priviiilegge?" *shudder* Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Petty or not, I could not date someone who talks like that. Sorry, ladies, if that is any of you, but this east coast raised gal can't hang.
The uptalking combined with a vocal fry should be illegal. More men are uptalking lately too. Many are professionals in the media. It is certainly an incorrect way of speaking. If you were to transcribe exactly as they are speaking it there would be question marks after the sentences or after words which are not really questions. So it is blatantly wrong but they do it anyway.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:01 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:

I grew up in the heart of that time, back in the 80s and it annoy me, yes, a raging hormone filled teen and i didn't like it.

I'm low 50s now and whenever I hear grown women talking like little girls or valley girl talk, vocal fry, the uprising vocal question mark thing, if you are pulling that nonsense you're an idiot. In my book anyway.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:

I once went on a first date with a pretty girl who had a (natural) very high-pitched voice and (affected) strong valley girl accent and mannerisms. Longest 45 minutes of my life. I was thinking of that experience when I wrote "annoying voice" in my earlier post in this thread.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I once went on a first date with a pretty girl who had a (natural) very high-pitched voice and (affected) strong valley girl accent and mannerisms. Longest 45 minutes of my life. I was thinking of that experience when I wrote "annoying voice" in my earlier post in this thread.
Voice means more than we think. If a man has a great voice it can be very attractive.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:20 AM

760 posts, read 421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Voice means more than we think. If a man has a great voice it can be very attractive.
Apparently high-pitched voices in women is hot, while low, deeply reverberating voices in men is what women find to be hot, like Vin Diesel's voice in The Chronicles of Riddick, or Morgan Freeman's voice, and I kinda think it's true. I remember having a French classmate, very cute, very pretty, reminded me of a young Natalie Portman, and she was very quiet in nature.

It was only when she spoke for the first time that I realized why she didn't talk much.

Voice deeper than a world war I drill sarge.

I stopped being attracted to her right there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships