Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 3,906 times

Advertisements

My GF and I work at the same company and we are both on an informal joke group chat with about 18 other people. Almost every time this other guy (let's call him Bob) posts something there my GF responds with some variation of a laughing emoji or a comment. When I post anything, she hardly ever responds. I know this sounds silly, believe me, but there's more to it. Before we started seeing each other, she would react to almost everything I posted but now that's changed. I'm trying to go through possible reasons for this. I don't think I would be thinking too much about it if it wasn't for the last thing ... About a month or two ago, we were taking a walk and chatting and the topic of kids came up. I have dark hair and she has blue eyes, so she said "our child will be perfect, with dark hair and blue eyes, like Bob". She told me she didn't mean it the way I took it up but in my mind perfect = dark hair and blue eyes = Bob. So in isolation, each of these things doesn't sound bad, but I just don't want to ignore signs I should have paid attention to and then deal with crap later down the line. Opinions? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 01:49 PM

29,524 posts, read 22,680,154 times
No, you are right to acknowledge that something is not right.

As I always say we humans have evolved over millions of years to develop an internal guidance system that alerts us whenever we feel something just feels very off. Trust it.

That she has the hots for "Bob" couldn't be more obvious here. No doubt some will say you are overthinking it, etc. etc., but if you listen to this kind of advice and do nothing, all it does is prolong the inevitable.

The way I look at it, talking to her about it (as some will advise as well) no longer serves any purpose seeing that you already seemed to have discussed this with her, and she knows very well this situation is making you feel uncomfortable.

If that happened to me I'd slowly distance myself from that person.

Think of it this way. Would YOU have ever said to her, a variation of what she told you? Would you have ever told her, "our child will be perfect, with blonde hair and green eyes like (fill in name of a female)? Of course not, you would never have said such a loaded thing to her. So why should she get a pass here?

Old 03-13-2022, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 3,906 times
thanks for the response, what you've said makes a lot of sense and is exactly as I'm thinking about it

Old 03-13-2022, 02:02 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
So when you talked to her about the emojis, what did she say?

Old 03-13-2022, 03:19 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
OP, I don't think the problem is that your girlfriend said, "our child will be perfect, with dark hair and blue eyes, like Bob," but rather the problem is that you don't trust her. It seems to me she made an innocent statement. But if you already have so little faith in her fidelity, you likely are not the right man for her rather than the other way around.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:41 PM

640 posts, read 451,012 times
OP, find another girlfriend. I am more concerned about her not "liking" you posts. That's really odd for a GF, who should be on your side in everything you do. If she's on Bob's side, that's a BIG problem -- even without that conversation. Time for a change.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:48 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
Need to walk, OP. Walk and never look back... and learn from this. Start by getting some self-respect.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:55 PM

6,879 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Ah....she doesn't know much about genetics. Depending on what recessive genes the two of you carry you could end up with other than dark hair and blue eyes. You could have a red headed child or an albino, etc.

As for Bob - is he single or married? Is he likely to give her the time of day? It could easily be a harmless crush. She might be fantasizing about him during sex and that's as far as it will go.

Ask her if she has a crush on him. Maybe ask her how she'd feel if you said how you would like your imaginary child to look like your friend (fill in the blank with an attractive woman you both know.)

Old 03-13-2022, 05:09 PM

613 posts, read 1,018,581 times
Sounds like she's idolizing Bob. I think that's a sign of immaturity, but I know it's a bad sign.

Old 03-13-2022, 05:12 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Ah....she doesn't know much about genetics. Depending on what recessive genes the two of you carry you could end up with other than dark hair and blue eyes. You could have a red headed child or an albino, etc.

As for Bob - is he single or married? Is he likely to give her the time of day? It could easily be a harmless crush. She might be fantasizing about him during sex and that's as far as it will go.

Ask her if she has a crush on him. Maybe ask her how she'd feel if you said how you would like your imaginary child to look like your friend (fill in the blank with an attractive woman you both know.)
That is awful... and the "that's as far as it will go" bit is scant comfort.

The poor guy needs to, as I said earlier, walk away and never look back.

Way I see it, *if* she is fantasizing about 'Bob', well she can run to him then. I certainly would not stand in her way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships