Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2022, 02:12 PM

36,850 posts, read 31,130,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
The bottom line is still women have greater rights today then >>>anytime<<< in the history of mankind; and yet are more miserable than ever.
Who says they are miserable?

Most people (men and women, children) in first world countries have it easier and have more than they ever did in times past and seem to still not be happy (opioid epidemic, suicides, alcohol, addiction, therapy, anti-depressants). Whats your point.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:19 PM

4,650 posts, read 1,820,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I often say that you don't get freedom without responsibility, and greater freedom also includes the freedom to fail. But I'll take it any day, over someone else deciding that they know best for me and TELLING me what I'll be doing with my life, thanks.

Also, correlation =/= causation.

We could pull various stats to align with reports of supposed "lower happiness"... Economic prosperity, size of the middle class, health/nutrition/obesity, how much vacation time people have taken (or not) in recent years, I mean...we could point at the ubiquity of cell phones or the relative regional popularity of yoga.

Seems a pretty dubious point to debate, really.

The best thing about being an independent woman, though? It doesn't matter that much to us if men like us or they don't! 'Cause we can get on just fine, if we don't find a quality companion who is comfortable with our independent ways. I am certainly grateful that I made such a lucky find with my husband, but I still would have been happy if I had not. I was having a great time before he came along. I'm having a great time with him in my life, and I would have kept right on having a great time if I'd never remarried.

Being "independent" and all that.
It think too many people are stuck in the whole, 'how a woman "should" feel' as opposed to how they actually DO feel. It's like they just don't get that a woman can be absolutely FINE without a man in her life.

Even in today's society, that ancient thinking is still there. A woman isn't "supposed" to be able to tie her own shoelaces, without a man telling her how to do so.

The irony is that, a man---you know, the 'independent' guy--suddenly "forgets' how to tie his own shoeslaces, as long as woman is around to do it FOR him.

Go figure...

Old 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM

4,650 posts, read 1,820,547 times
Quote:
The bottom line is still women have greater rights today then >>>anytime<<< in the history of mankind; and yet are more miserable than ever.
Who says that the reason they're "miserable" is because of all their rights?

Did it ever occur to you that women should NOT have had to 'win' 'rights' in the first place? That equality should have been a 'given' between the sexes from the beginning?

This whole "rights" CRAP never EVER should have happened in the first place.

It was only through men's arrogance that it did.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,154,262 times
Quote:
Not at all what that article says.

I'd also be pretty unhappy as a woman, honestly. I live in the USA a country that couldn't even agree to ratify the ERA and legally make men and women being equal as a Constitutionaly protected truth. What a damn slap in the face to all woman that is.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 PM
bu2

24,174 posts, read 15,024,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not at all what that article says.

I'd also be pretty unhappy as a woman, honestly. I live in the USA a country that couldn't even agree to ratify the ERA and legally make men and women being equal as a Constitutionaly protected truth. What a damn slap in the face to all woman that is.
You mean the Excessive Real income for Attorneys amendment?
I think time has proven it was totally unnecessary. And there were a lot of women who opposed it.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:45 PM

1,050 posts, read 573,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, that's it. A few guys told me they felt like they weren't needed. I think if I had felt there was a future with them, I would have "needed" them more.
Why would you be in a relationship with someone if you didnt love them and there was no future?

Old 11-28-2022, 08:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,747,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who says they are miserable?

Most people (men and women, children) in first world countries have it easier and have more than they ever did in times past and seem to still not be happy (opioid epidemic, suicides, alcohol, addiction, therapy, anti-depressants). Whats your point.
I would argue that people have always been unhappy, but it’s only now that we have the leisure time to talk about it with others and the technology to actually make those “others” the public. I have my doubts that women up until the 20th century who spent most of their adult lives pregnant or nursing were happier than women today. However, if you had 6 or 10 kids, it’s not like you had that much time to complain about it.

It’s similar to the argument about the pay gap. The argument against it is that women choose jobs with lower pay, but no one actually discusses WHY the pay is lower. It’s not like the jobs women do are innately easier or less risky.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:35 PM

102,352 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePokie View Post
I’ll never find this after commenting but I will comment anyway. How do you meet someone new anyway? At 28 where does everyone hang out? Going to the bar each night is very expensive, going anywhere each night can be expensive, How do people meet one another when they are older unless its at their workplace? And being so independent that makes meeting someone even more unlikely, so where do you start? How can anyone be single, work, keep up home chores, and look for relationships? If you have animals too you gotta be wonder woman! Hahaha!
There have got to be multiple hang-out places for different people with different interests. One of the in my town was a vegan pizza place. There might be a particularly cool coffee shop/bakery/sandwich shop or deli. A co-op, where people that age work and others volunteer. Also look at the MeetUp listings, to see if there are any groups for that age range.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:34 AM

36,850 posts, read 31,130,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I would argue that people have always been unhappy, but it’s only now that we have the leisure time to talk about it with others and the technology to actually make those “others” the public. I have my doubts that women up until the 20th century who spent most of their adult lives pregnant or nursing were happier than women today. However, if you had 6 or 10 kids, it’s not like you had that much time to complain about it.

It’s similar to the argument about the pay gap. The argument against it is that women choose jobs with lower pay, but no one actually discusses WHY the pay is lower. It’s not like the jobs women do are innately easier or less risky.
I agree and I don't believe happiness can be measured long term or values assigned to any group of people as a whole, too many variables.
Life for most people is easier now but easy does not equal happiness. They say money cant buy happiness and I think that is true (although I'd take a chance ) as evidenced by the number of wealthy people who become addicts, commit suicide and crimes, divorce, etc.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:25 AM

4,699 posts, read 2,839,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
...And there were a lot of women who opposed it.
Oppressors ALWAYS enlist enforcers from amongst the ranks of the oppressed, and brainwash them to believe they've got it better under oppression than they would without it. The list is practically endless but enumerating examples is likely to get someone in trouble or send the discussion too far off on a tangent. At any rate, the existence of members of an oppressed class siding with the oppressors is very far from unusual, and it certainly does not prove that the oppression's not real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships