Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2022, 10:35 PM

211 posts, read 141,478 times

Advertisements

You have no idea how bad I wish I could meet a girl for so many other reasons than sex. It's been a long, lonely life of loserness and no way to get any one to even talk.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:04 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,867,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
You have no idea how bad I wish I could meet a girl for so many other reasons than sex. It's been a long, lonely life of loserness and no way to get any one to even talk.
Sorry to hear this. Hope you find someone.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:04 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,771,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. What's your type? I know many women who are in the same situation you are.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:25 PM

217 posts, read 150,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyjaded View Post
I’ve read more than enough posts here and on Reddit on how men just want a pretty face and fertility. Anything beyond that, they merely tolerate. As a recently single woman, I’m becoming more and more dismayed at the idea of dating again. Why should I strive to date and be in relationships with people that do not like the very core of who I am?

So…do men actually like women as people?
Yes they do ! Women are the ones that HATE other women- that’s the reality.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,824,879 times
Don't use citydata to inform you men.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 AM

8,758 posts, read 3,927,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think a lot of men don't really understand women so there is that barrier. How can you really like what you can't understand. I've been the straightest of straight shooters and still men would often act confounded.
Communication and understanding is key to any friendship or relationship, including those between two folks of the same gender. In other words, both need patience and a willingness to listen/understand; and it develops over time. That said, obviously, we aren’t going to (try to) understand a woman we don’t like (particularly if she is a misandrist and/or continually refers to biased generalities regarding men sans knowing the individual).

I’m surprised how common it appears to be (at first glance) in this forum, as evidenced by this thread. Some posters are essentially (and ironically) asking/discussing whether or not all men are misogynists and/or our faults (as if it doesn’t work both ways) i.e. men don’t understand women and whatnot. It’s a blame game.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:57 AM

74 posts, read 28,545 times
Yes, they can. The problem with you and others is that you shut down logically and lash out when there is any point made you don't like. You then either ad-hominem attack the person [with no evidence] (you can't get laid, you're ugly, or whatever) or you lie and distort what was said (you only want a breeding mare, etc.). There's no willingness to approach it fairly and with any nuance.

It would be like if a woman in a very long post about what she wants said 'I need a man who is able to provide to some extent' and then I start crying and saying 'oooo you're probably ugly and women only want a worker slave.' It's really juvenile and small-minded. Women are allowed to voice laundry lists of 500 requirements including fixed requirements about height, income, etc, and men aren't allowed voice any, lest they offend the strong stunning and brave women.

Just like most women are looking for a man who meets certain basic physical, mental/intellectual, and financial requirements, men have their requirements too, though money/income (aside from not having massive amount of debt) usually isn't one of them, so you can replace that with 'fertility' aka the basic ability/desire to have kids.

We all know that if a guy is really ugly or 5 feet tall he is F'd in the dating market, no matter how smart, funny, or well-off he is. And a woman who is 300 lbs is also screwed in terms of dating most men (though she could at change her appearance unlike the guy). A male high-school drop-out who makes minimum wage is going to be written off by many women, and a woman who already has/doesn't want kids is going to be excluded by many men. So can I say 'oooo all women want is a handsome face and a wallet'? No, because that's a gross over-simplification.

I want a pretty-enough face (to me, which isn't the same as all guys, we all have different tastes; there are faces some guys think are ugly that I like and vice versa) and fertility (assuming I don't change my mind about having kids), but I also want countless things beyond that. If that was all I wanted I would have settled down long ago.

You were 'dismayed' before about 'not being able to find anyone' [aka guys mostly below your normal age bracket; while actually dating a guy 4 years younger than you and having multiple boyfriends in the apparently very recent past, including seemingly at the time of this post], so not sure what 'dismay' really means for you.

But in a nutshell; men do like [some] women 'as people' (just like they only like some men), but they like very few women enough to marry / stay with them. The percentage of women I've met and would be willing to commit to long-term is very very small. If I didn't have looks requirements the percentage would be way higher, but unfortunately that is a biological/physiological reality for me.

Last edited by pleg1; 12-04-2022 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-04-2022, 08:08 AM

5,017 posts, read 10,728,211 times
“Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.”
― Margaret Atwood

Old 12-04-2022, 08:18 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,895,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
“Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.”
― Margaret Atwood
Today, the "laughter" is a metaphor for getting MeToo'ed (for just tapping a woman on her shoulder while looking too unattractive for her standards), which means losing your career, your reputation, and your society's respect.

Thankfully, Covid took over MeToo as a worshipped idol. While it brought its own problems, it drowned out MeToo.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-04-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-04-2022, 11:19 AM

8,758 posts, read 3,927,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
― Margaret Atwood
Neither Dan or Betty Broderick fit this stereotype which, in and of itself, is part of the problem relative to the thread. Neither men nor women should be disliked, as a gender (vs individually); and when they are, it’s relative to stereotyping, unresolved anger and/or psychological unwellness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships