Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2023, 08:32 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The thread was asking if men prefer a traditional or modern woman/wife, not traditionally feminine. I don't see what femininity has to do with desire to be a SAHM instead of working mom. Either can be feminine. A man does not lose his masculinity if he chooses to stay home with his children for several months.
It’s simply being labeled as ‘traditionally feminine’ because it has traditionally been the woman who is the stay-at-home parent. That said, as previously mentioned, I agree the OP has offered two bizarre extremes with a modern woman being described as ‘usually wearing jeans as opposed to dresses’. Why would the OP (even) make this a part of the description?

As such, I agree with you; from my perspective - a modern, professional woman embraces (and identifies with) her femininity either way. However, my preference would be a woman who is ‘traditionally feminine’ in that she would want to stay home (or work part-time, if applicable) for several months to a couple of years.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s simply being labeled as ‘traditionally feminine’ because it has traditionally been the woman who is the stay-at-home parent. That said, as previously mentioned, I agree the OP has offered two bizarre extremes with a modern woman being described as ‘usually wearing jeans as opposed to dresses’. Why would the OP (even) make this a part of the description?

As such, I agree with you; from my perspective - a modern, professional woman embraces (and identifies with) her femininity either way. However, my preference would be a woman who is ‘traditionally feminine’ in that she would want to stay home (or work part-time, if applicable) for several months to a couple of years.
Who knows. Why would the OP make sex part of the equation? Growing up most women I knew were traditional housewives. Wearing dresses or jeans, make-up or not was a personal decision, sometimes related to religion. They certainly didn't have sex whenever he wanted. I learned the phrase "nookie day" early on listening to them.

Femineity has nothing to do with the decision or necessity to work outside the home or not.

Most often today the decision is made due to finances and the availability and affordability of childcare.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Femineity has nothing to do with the decision or necessity to work outside the home or not.

Most often today the decision is made due to finances and the availability and affordability of childcare.
I agree, but it’s traditionally been women who (want to) stay home (and mostly still is in the modern world), if possible - at least temporarily. Relative to my good friends and colleagues, all of their wives/girlfriends returned to work by the time the kids reached pre-school or kindergarten (if they stayed home beyond family leave).

Quote:
Wearing dresses or jeans, make-up or not was a personal decision, sometimes related to religion. They certainly didn't have sex whenever he wanted. I learned the phrase "nookie day" early on listening to them.
What does your term ‘nookie day’ or religion have to do with the thread? Femininity is more about identifying with one’s gender or the feelings they have about being a woman (as opposed to a random, personal decision about make-up or dresses).

Quote:
Why would the OP make sex part of the equation?
Yeah, that doesn’t make any sense, either.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:24 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
... Yeah, that doesn’t make any sense, either.
Men--do you prefer a "traditional" woman or a "modern" woman?

When asking men what traits they like in women, why wouldn't sex be a feature in the discussion?

The OP was a question clearly directed at men, though it seems a lot of females have joined in to present what they think men would want, which I should think would double the expression of sex in the over all discussion. Assuming that some females desire to have sex included in their lives.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Men--do you prefer a "traditional" woman or a "modern" woman?

When asking men what traits they like in women, why wouldn't sex be a feature in the discussion?
The OP didn’t ask us what traits we like in women; he/she asked if we prefer ‘traditional’ or ‘modern’ women, implying it essentially breaks down to the issue of stay-at-home parenting (all else being equal).

Who among us isn’t going to say we prefer a woman who embraces her sexuality and enjoys sex? It goes without saying relative to a healthy, stable relationship. ;-)

Old 11-30-2023, 02:12 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:

In most cultures even today, a woman's most important job is being the mother and caretaker of her children.

This is so widespread I would say it is ingrained in society.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
I agree, but it’s traditionally been women who (want to) stay home (and mostly still is in the modern world), if possible - at least temporarily. Relative to my good friends and colleagues, all of their wives/girlfriends returned to work by the time the kids reached pre-school or kindergarten (if they stayed home beyond family leave).

What does your term ‘nookie day’ or religion have to do with the thread? Femininity is more about identifying with one’s gender or the feelings they have about being a woman (as opposed to a random, personal decision about make-up or dresses).

Yeah, that doesn’t make any sense, either.
Traditionally most women had no choice or other opportunities but to stay home, not so much they just wanted to. Add in that in many marriages when mom works she still has the lions share of domestic and childcare which is stressful personally as well as putting stress on the family, so why work. That is the reason one of my collogues quit to stay home.

Nookie day has to do with the OP stating has sex whenever he wants. Like wearing dresses and makeup all day everyday that was rarely the case of traditional wives. Men got sex on nookie day (pay day).

Old 11-30-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The OP didn’t ask us what traits we like in women; he/she asked if we prefer ‘traditional’ or ‘modern’ women, implying it essentially breaks down to the issue of stay-at-home parenting (all else being equal).
I strongly disagree with the OP's stated ideals of 'traditional' / 'modern'. But that discussion would be better suited to a new thread.

Quote:
... Who among us isn’t going to say we prefer a woman who embraces her sexuality and enjoys sex? It goes without saying relative to a healthy, stable relationship. ;-)
I agree.

It is with great fondness that I remember my last 'nookie' day, April '84.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
... Nookie day has to do with the OP stating has sex whenever he wants. Like wearing dresses and makeup all day everyday that was rarely the case of traditional wives. Men got sex on nookie day (pay day).
Which then brings the exchange of money into the discussion.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In most cultures even today, a woman's most important job is being the mother and caretaker of her children.
American culture is highly individualistic; while many women (or men) may feel it’s the most important job they will have, it’s a temporary one - at least in terms of a daily time commitment (for either parent). Then again, others don’t see it as a ‘job’ at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is so widespread I would say it is ingrained in society.
In other words, relative to ‘modern’ women/times, those who opt to stay home long-term (or not at all) are not looked upon as favorably as women who want to stay home for several months to a few years (and then return to a career). The latter are seen as more loving/selfless relative to maternal instincts and mother/baby bonding that is clearly to the benefit of the baby/family (as opposed to themselves).

Quote:
Nookie day has to do with the OP stating has sex whenever he wants.
Quote:
Men got sex on nookie day (pay day).
Your posts crack me up; obviously, the goal relative to a healthy, stable (modern) relationship is a sex life both are equally invested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is with great fondness that I remember my last 'nookie' day, April '84.

Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships