Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2023, 11:01 AM

19,730 posts, read 20,271,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
However, I don’t know of any evidence that working at a job lessens a woman’s motherly instinct when she has her first child.

A working mother will have her children in daycare, so it won't matter.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:07 AM

8,698 posts, read 3,883,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Almost all? It's around 2/3 for the highest states in the US, MUCh lower in several others.
Almost all relative to professional, single women (of child-bearing age) who would be in the dating pool relative to the thread in the first place. Stay-at-home parenting is no longer a career as it was decades+ ago.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:16 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Stay-at-home parenting is no longer a career as it was decades+ ago.
I really don't think it was ever a career. It was simply a family's choice.
And I know many stay-at-homes nowadays too, moms and dads (not just for women any more!).

Old 11-24-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I really don't think it was ever a career. It was simply a family's choice.
I agree it’s a couple’s choice; that said, the OP paints two extremes i.e. submissive sans a mind (or any career ambitions) of her own vs. a business partnership where everything is split right down the middle. Both are ridiculous; point being, many professional women openly express (while dating) they want to stay home for several months to a few years, if a baby were in the picture; others definitely would not. I’ve usually dated the former, just as I’ve always dated feminine women who enjoy being a woman and don’t think it negates their professional status in the least. It’s not an either/or thing, from my perspective; a traditionally feminine desire to bond with a baby, breastfeed or whatnot does not equate to mindless, submissive and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And I know many stay-at-homes nowadays too, moms and dads (not just for women any more!).
Sure, but professional women or men don’t stay-at-home anywhere near as long as women used to; they each have careers to return to, even if they want to stay-at-home with a child for awhile. That said, it’s still overwhelmingly women, as a whole, who make that choice (provided the couple can afford it).

Old 11-24-2023, 12:53 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,003,754 times
Quote:
Almost all relative to professional, single women (of child-bearing age) who would be in the dating pool relative to the thread in the first place. Stay-at-home parenting is no longer a career as it was decades+ ago.
Yeah no. Semantics.

Old 11-24-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah no. Semantics.
Nah, it’s a matter of staying-on-topic. How many women work (of all ages) with kids/no kids is irrelevant to the point of what we, as (single) men, prefer. Obviously, if one has a preference, we’re going to look for such in the single/professional women (of child-bearing age) we date.

How many women in the country are working (or not) is absolutely irrelevant by comparison to how many single, professional women are working; else, how are they single and supporting themselves? Who is going to date any woman (or man) sans a career or means to support themselves in this day and age (whether they’d stay home with a baby for several months/a few years, or not).

Old 11-24-2023, 02:37 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,003,754 times
Quote:
How many women in the country are working (or not) is absolutely irrelevant by comparison to how many single, professional women are working; else, how are they single and supporting themselves? Who is going to date any woman (or man) sans a career or means to support themselves in this day and age (whether they’d stay home with a baby for several months/a few years, or not).
You brought it up.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You brought it up.
Yeah, I brought up that all professional, single women (under 35) have careers; it’s a no-brainer, from my perspective. Else, how can they support themselves/date?

That said, a professional woman who is also ‘traditionally-feminine’ in terms of appearance and in her desire to nurture/bond with her baby, if applicable, IS today’s ’modern (heterosexual) woman’, no?

Old 11-25-2023, 02:50 PM

27,597 posts, read 28,700,475 times
The real issue that is worthy of discussion is whether it is preferable for a woman to work full-time or part-time after she has her first child.

There will be a broad range of opinions about that.

Old 11-25-2023, 03:04 PM

415 posts, read 546,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The real issue that is worthy of discussion is whether it is preferable for a woman to work full-time or part-time after she has her first child.

There will be a broad range of opinions about that.
In my ideal world I would stay at home until the youngest kid goes back to school. I would also be more than willing to work part time after that if we could afford it, but making sure we have enough money saved for retirement and sending the kids to college likely means that most likely isn't realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships