Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know anyone over 45 who have never dated?
Yes, it is very common 3 7.32%
No, unless they are mentally ill, we have needs! 28 68.29%
How would I know? 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 30s and never had a girlfriend or been on a date, and I'm hardly miserable. Can't say to the same to my (formerly) married friends who are now divorced and broke with nearly every penny going for alimony and child support. We live in a very toxic society right now and it's very easy to get burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 04:44 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Someone on the wrong side of 40 with no sex life got there for one of 3 reasons.

1. Infertility(killer for women)
2. Bad social skills
3. Lack of will to form a relationship with someone else. Some people like being alone outside of their job(s)
There many more reasons than this.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:30 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm in my 30s and never had a girlfriend or been on a date, and I'm hardly miserable. Can't say to the same to my (formerly) married friends who are now divorced and broke with nearly every penny going for alimony and child support. We live in a very toxic society right now and it's very easy to get burned.
I agree. One day someone can love you and the next day bam! They turn on you. Just have to be careful.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,365 times
Apparently it's more common than we think, it still seems that happens to men more than women when it comes to surpassing your mid-twenties and reaching your thirties and older without ever having a relationship or sex before

Old 06-25-2016, 10:23 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,575,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
True.

No matter how fat. No matter how ugly. No matter how dumb. No matter how psycho a woman is, there will always be a man somewhere in this world who will be willing to have sex with her (and if he is desperate enough, he will continue having sex with her)
If ever there was one, that is an immature argument.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
How so homie. A woman with a personality defect has
a far greater chance of winding up alone than a man.
I even know a few. Plus a man can always pay for sex.
Let a woman try that, she'd be called all types of stuff.
No, she'd get paid for sex.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:04 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
Apparently it's more common than we think, it still seems that happens to men more than women when it comes to surpassing your mid-twenties and reaching your thirties and older without ever having a relationship or sex before
I brought this up once in another thread, and I think there's some validity to it. I've thought about this over the years when at different periods in my life I wondered what the hell was wrong with me. I didn't date until my 20s. I would have liked to, but I wasn't attractive and no one was ever interested. I was terribly ashamed, but eventually I sort of forced the issue out of desperation and ended up in a bad marriage to an alcoholic. (That's the alternative to remaining always single. They aren't as picky as long as you are there to take care of them. I don't recommend this path, trust me.) Never had much luck again with dating after that, and at 58, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'm going to my grave without having known what love is like.

But I think this is how it happens. For you regular people, you got to go through that whole flirting, holding hands, first-kiss thing as teenagers. It just came to you, you didn't have to ask for it, you didn't have to walk around in a state of perpetual shame and embarrassment because you weren't good enough to date. SOMEBODY found you attractive, and you just did what you did without having to think about it. Those early years are an important step. It's like wanting to be a ballerina or a concert pianist but you didn't start lessons when you were five years old like you have to do be those things. If you miss those steps, you don't get a second chance to make them up, and you go through the rest of your life with a vague sense that everyone else knows something you don't.

Now maybe once in a while it works, if two people who didn't get a chance at love early on find each other. I think that probably has happened, although I can't think of any real life examples. I think this is how the 30 or 40+ year old never finds anyone. They simply do not know how. The skills were never learned.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-29-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I brought this up once in another thread, and I think there's some validity to it. I've thought about this over the years when at different periods in my life I wondered what the hell was wrong with me. I didn't date until my 20s. I would have liked to, but I wasn't attractive and no one was ever interested. I was terribly ashamed, but eventually I sort of forced the issue out of desperation and ended up in a bad marriage to an alcoholic. (That's the alternative to remaining always single. They aren't as picky as long as you are there to take care of them. I don't recommend this path, trust me.) Never had much luck again with dating after that, and at 58, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'm going to my grave without having known what love is like.

But I think this is how it happens. For you regular people, you got to go through that whole flirting, holding hands, first-kiss thing as teenagers. It just came to you, you didn't have to ask for it, you didn't have to walk around in a state of perpetual shame and embarrassment because you weren't good enough to date. SOMEBODY found you attractive, and you just did what you did without having to think about it. Those early years are an important step. It's like wanting to be a ballerina or a concert pianist but you didn't start lessons when you were five years old like you have to do be those things. If you miss those steps, you don't get a second chance to make them up, and you go through the rest of your life with a vague sense that everyone else knows something you don't.

Now maybe once in a while it works, if two people who didn't get a chance at love early on find each other. I think that probably has happened, although I can't think of any real life examples. I think this is how the 30 or 40+ year old never finds anyone. They simply do not know how. The skills were never learned.
Yup, I'm sure the number of women who reach their 30s without ever having a boyfriend before pales in comparison to the other way around

Old 07-01-2016, 07:17 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
No, she'd get paid for sex.
You are missing it. Women do pay for sex. But they do not tend to pay with cash, they pay with commodities.

Two of our neighbors, are both single men [Todd and Peter]. They are both rural farmers, neither of these guys are wealthy, but they own their farms and a couple beater vehicles. Women showed up in both of their lives with food. Peter's gf shows up on his doorstep wanting to stay the weekend, bearing a big casserole and grocery bags of food. She bakes him food. Peter was telling me how he could not believe the way that she covers his kitchen counter with fresh baked pastry before she leaves to go back to the city at the end of each weekend. She cleans the house, does laundry and bakes in exchange for staying the weekend sharing his bed.

We are not as close to Todd. His wife left him chasing after some rich city guy and in a couple months another woman showed up at his place with baked meals. Now she is there a couple nights every week.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You are missing it. Women do pay for sex. But they do not tend to pay with cash, they pay with commodities.

Two of our neighbors, are both single men [Todd and Peter]. They are both rural farmers, neither of these guys are wealthy, but they own their farms and a couple beater vehicles. Women showed up in both of their lives with food. Peter's gf shows up on his doorstep wanting to stay the weekend, bearing a big casserole and grocery bags of food. She bakes him food. Peter was telling me how he could not believe the way that she covers his kitchen counter with fresh baked pastry before she leaves to go back to the city at the end of each weekend. She cleans the house, does laundry and bakes in exchange for staying the weekend sharing his bed.

We are not as close to Todd. His wife left him chasing after some rich city guy and in a couple months another woman showed up at his place with baked meals. Now she is there a couple nights every week.
Put the Binoculars away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships