Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 PM

104 posts, read 136,577 times

Advertisements

JonathanLB,

IQ 135 is not "well below genius level" it is only ten points less than Terman's cutoff for genius - 145. Furthermore, if you are a DIVERGENT thinker - which is the essence of genius in my opinion - you could be a genius by the "extreme creativity" definition of genius. And divergent thinking will lower your IQ score on a test - not because it is a less intelligent way of thinking, but because the test makers just won't see every possibility that the zillions of divergent thinkers taking the test see, and so they can't score them correctly. If you can shift paradigms and/or re-work conceptual frameworks, you're a genius automatically. Richard Feynman scored 127 on his IQ tests, and he was definitely a genius. Your IQ is higher than his!

"I think about the world in a different way than most people" - that sounds like perhaps you are divergent.

Don't disregard the possibility.

Such girls do exist. You are describing me. I have a bit of weight to lose before I will attain the physical fitness ideal, but with 20 pounds lost already, and a year of deeply ingraining the habits of a health nut, I am well on the way. I will become physically fit in the future. I already have all those other qualities.

I am quite emotionally sensitive, but that is not to say I lack strength. I have a phoenix mentality. A trauma will burn me down - temporarily. But I very quickly ressurect myself from the ashes. My strength is not in taking an impact, but in restructuring myself at lightning speed. Afterwards, I often find that I am completely or partially immune to traumas of that type. I will often fling similar traumas off myself like a Jiu Jitsu master.

I have a different sort of strength than what is generally meant by "emotional strength" - so I felt it important to explain. Lest you might hear me mention at some point that I am emotionally sensitive and think I was lying about being strong.

What I am looking for is... Well I am so gifted that I have multitudes of talents. I am so complex that I have melded various personality types together. I absorb so much information that I have an expert level understanding on a whole variety of subjects. It is very much like being multiple people all rolled into one. I can't say "This is what I am looking for" because it would be five pages long... as if TEN people were writing what they wanted... lol!

What I am looking for is someone who has so many talents and personality facets and areas of expertise that we have much of ourselves in common.

Does this "ten people rolled into one" description sound like you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM

WyoNewk,

That is absolutely the last time I give you the benefit of the doubt on what appears to be a mistake in wording.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Stan4,

True, intelligence is not the only component to compatibility. However, I find that I am incompatible with everyone who is not near to my own intelligence level, so it makes sense to me to establish that the people I meet are from the same planet first before going any further. It saves time.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,655,701 times
Thanks for the offer She_Was.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Sorry She_Was,
Being in the top 99% of my graduating class does NOT correspond to being in the 99th percentile. It was a little joke. Get it? Not top 1%, top 99%.
Nah, nah, I beat you. I was in the top 75% High school that is. I was in the top 10% in college. Easy to do when there are only 11 people in your major

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, why is intellegence, beyond being in the general ball park even an issue in dating? Seems to me if it is, the person is looking for a relationship to provide some kind of challenge. I would think that would get old after a while.

BTW, my husband has a genius IQ and I do not have a genius IQ. I, however, have more common sense than him :lol. He can analyze a problem to death and never get an answer. Makes me wonder what those IQ points are good for.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Ivorytickler,

"Why is intellegence, beyond being in the general ball park even an issue in dating?"

Well I don't know what you mean by ballpark... By ballpark, you might mean 10 points or 100 points. I will describe what I've noticed about my compatibility with the various IQ groups and see if it answers your question:

People within 40 points of me tend to be refreshing, and those within fifteen points make me feel like I have found people like me!

I think that 60 or 70 points is way too much. A friend of mine has an intelligence level around 160 or so and she is married to a normal guy... Against her will, she keeps falling for gifted guys - even despite being married. She has been faithful and she loves her husband, but I really don't think he will retain her in the long run. He just isn't even in the same library, let alone reading the same book, and he is certainly not "on the same page".

In my case, I am just not even attracted to normal guys at all. I'd rather be celibate than to date someone who is so thoroughly incompatible with me - and have, for years. I am on a two or three year long celibacy stint right now, actually, lol. I am so different from normal people that I have difficulty comprehending why they like what they like and why they do what they do.

I have tried dating guys with IQ's around 130/140 - but what ends up happening is that after a matter of months, the attraction fizzles out. I may love them and feel good going out with them, but my compatibility with them is fickle. Lol. Its sort of like this... I have dozens of abilities and interests and skills... many different personality facets... I am a very complex person, with lots and lots and lots and lots to me. A lot of these interests and facets are so unusual that I almost never find other people with ANYTHING in common... Once in a while I find a gifted person with a handful of things in common, but nowhere near completely compatible... They see that we have two or three of these things in common and go "Wow you are everything I want in a girl!" I see that we have a handful of things in common and go "Wow someone with SOMETHING in common! Yay!"

But, six months later, I wake up and realize that they just don't have anything more in common with me than that... I feel like 75% of me has been hiding the whole time. The majority of me feels neglected. Then I realize the relationship isn't going anywhere and it ends.

On the other hand, my attractions to those few people I have met who had IQ's above 155 ... wow. One of them has severe bipolar, so we can't really have a relationship, but I still think he's the hottest guy I've ever met two or three years later. That hasn't fizzled. The other believes that we are too different... but... before I met him, I didn't understand the idea of marriage. The idea that a relationship could be so intense and wonderful that it lasts your whole life didn't make any sense to me. Meeting him sparked something, and suddenly it make sense that a relationship could last one's whole life!

So, I think fifteen points is my magic ballpark. Then again, I am not entirely sure that my IQ is only 170... it could be higher. IQ is very difficult to measure in the genius range. There aren't enough of us to make sure the tests are accurate, and there arent as many matterials with which you can estimate your IQ. It could be that my IQ is 190 and my real ballpark is more like 35 points... I sure hope that's not the case. An IQ of 170 is a big enough social problem. I don't want it to be any higher. And it is possible that my IQ is lower than 170... My actual ballpark might be more like 10 points. I don't really know.

So, I don't know how many points is "ballpark" to you. To me, right now, I think "ballpark" means 15 points in either direction. I don't know why people would care about two or three IQ points. I don't. Ten points probably won't even make a noticeable difference, at least not when you're out in alien territory like me. Maybe if most normal people care about minor IQ differences like this it is because they meet SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE within the same range of IQ they can actually discern differences. I have only met a few dozen people in my whole life in my range, and so trying to discern minute differences between one IQ point and another is not easy - there just aren't enough examples to see these differences.

Does that answer your question?

Any more questions?

I like questions.

In fact, if your husband wants to send over some of those impossible problems, I'd like that. I have never found a philosophical problem I couldn't solve. I am similarly good at psychology, too, and lots of other things.

Being given some unsolvable problems would be fun!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM

JeepGirl118,

Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,248,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
WyoNewk,

That is absolutely the last time I give you the benefit of the doubt on what appears to be a mistake in wording.
Hey, that's not fair! When you thought I might be genius you'd give me the benefit of doubt, but now that you think I'm "normal" you won't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Nah, nah, I beat you. I was in the top 75% High school that is. I was in the top 10% in college. Easy to do when there are only 11 people in your major
Ivorytickler, I was also in the top 75% of my graduating class, even in the top 50%, iirc. High school was a joke to me. My only goals were to stay off the flunk list and graduate. Sad but true. I never studied for a test in four years.

I was probably in the top 1 or 2% of my graduating class in the junior college I attended, as I finished with a 3.98 gpa -- all A's except for a B in a simple 1-credit course. I know I'm not as smart as my grades may have indicated; I just studied hard in college to make up for my laxidasical attitude in high school. And let's face it, junior colleges don't get the cream of the crop for their student body. I figured A's at the junior college level equated to B's at a good university, and I had planned to continue at the uni level. (Never did.)

I guess my whole point is that it doesn't take an equal in any category, including intelligence, to be a good partner. My late wife was probably a good 40 points ahead of me in her IQ score, but I could balance a checkbook easier, and I was better at understanding lots of things. I even helped her with her writing, because she had a tougher time getting to the nuts and bolts of an issue and making a simple statement that could be understood by a 6th-grader. We both knew that she was much more "intelligent", but we treated each other as equals generally. Her whole family was much like her -- all tremendously gifted and successful people, but they didn't look down on me because I was "normal".

Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,480,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
A friend of mine is a true genius.

No, he is not one of those guys with an incredible IQ but lacks common sense and is broke, unemployed and living in his mothers basement because he can not function in society.

Instead he is just a remarkable person. Good looking, charming and nice. He is a graduate of a Ivy League University, has had incredible career success, has traveled around the world, has incredible conversational skills and is so well read and informed.

He has it all except a lady in his life.

He meets many women but leaves the dates unsatisfied and unimpressed. He can not find a women who has the intellectual and practical skills he has?
Can't have everything
Btw I can relate on everything but the Ivy League and career success

Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM

WyoNewk,

When you said "that was a joke" I thought you were telling me that you intentionally wrote a trick sentence to trick me and make me look stupid. It looks like I am being paranoid about being trolled. It seems like every time I so much as hint in the direction of the concept of intelligence, I am attacked from all sides by everyone under the sun. A lot of people have issues with intelligence. As a kid, all the other kids were mean to me because I was intelligent - but I didn't know that. I didn't know why they were being mean. Because people have always attacked me for my intelligence and continue to attack me for it, I have learned to anticipate being attacked.

What happened is that I perceived being attacked in something you said that wasn't meant that way. Sorry for any hurt feelings. I can see now that you didn't mean to do anything bad and I feel bad for being snippy with you. You are probably totally surprised by my reaction. Now that I realize I am acting paranoid, I'll make an effort to chill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships