Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 AM

943 posts, read 3,334,830 times

Advertisements

So the commitment would be marriage right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
So the commitment would be marriage right?
That's the semantics I jokingly implied above... Many of us have ended up with marriages that were results of following these directions somewhat out of order. We ended up with marriages, but not commitments per se.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Thanks loves mountains I needed that advice over a year ago.
Also by intimacy do you mean (physical and emotional?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Lately there seem to have been several threads or comments from people bemoaning their lack of a successful relationship. The all want to know, where are the "good guys", where are the "nice women"? Believe me, they ARE out there. Many of you ARE the good guys and nice women. But you sell yourselves short and rush into things so quickly when you click with someone that you crash and burn more times than not.

I like what the author John Gray has to say about this...maybe it will help some of you:

There are 5 stages a couple should move through in order to have a successful relationship:

Stage One (attraction),
Stage Two (uncertainty),
Stage Three (exclusivity),
Stage Four (intimacy)
Stage Five (commitment)

But here is the secret...

Do not jump into Stage Four -- intimacy -- before both you and your partner have first moved through all the other stages OVER TIME or you'll never get to Stage Five (commitment).

Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free AND there are more cows offering the milk for free?
Because while the brand of milk he was selling was extra good, I also liked other things about him. If I guy wanted to wait until marriage to have sex I would be wondering what he had to hide.

I enjoyed sampling the milk of other cows, but this particular cow had milk that I wanted to keep sampling for the rest of my life.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I dont believe marriage and committment are the same. You can have one without the other.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I would add one thing to this thread: Common sense.

I mean, if you start dating a person who has no friends, can't hold down a job, can't make decent headway in life, still lives with his parents, etc. etc. etc., those are pretty good clues that you've got a person who is not a grown up. And if he or she can't commit to holding down a job, how are they going to commit to holding down a relationship?
Easy....YOU! You're that stupid! You're probably a care giver and just wanted a patient around 24/7

Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
And I think stage 4 and 5 should be switched.
Excellent point! I concur.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Easy....YOU! You're that stupid! You're probably a care giver and just wanted a patient around 24/7
Hahahaha.

I really think the biggest mistake people make is not realizing that a relationship is as much a partnership between two people as it is mutual lust. I mean, you have to be major-league attracted to get married. But, at the same time, trust and confidence have to exist at the same time.

So what happens? People fall in love with somebody and get married, never realizing that saying "I do" isn't the finish line, but just the beginning of a long, long time together.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Thanks loves mountains I needed that advice over a year ago.
Also by intimacy do you mean (physical and emotional?)
Sorry to be too late to help you artsy

I believe John Gray is referring to physical intimacy - too many people jump right into sex without taking time to go thru the other stages. Relationships need a solid foundation of trust to grow - and you can't trust someone with your whole life within 5 minutes of meeting each other, so sleeping with them too soon sometimes dooms the relationship before it ever takes off.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think the 'bad luck' people have is more due to attraction based on the wrong characteristics and lack of the art of compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships