Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,065,408 times

Advertisements

Here's my order of operations....

Stage One (attraction), 1
Stage Two (uncertainty), 3,4,5,6,7,8
Stage Three (exclusivity),2
Stage Four (intimacy),10
Stage Five (commitment),9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Excellent, so if I jump to Stage Four will that assure me of not having to worry about Stage Five or is that still a risk? I would hate for any situation to get to Stage Five, sounds scary, like Red Alert or late stage cancer metastasized.

Thanks for the help! This is great, now I can avoid those awkward moments when I have to break up with a girl, get yelled at for having a "fear of commitment," etc. [Notice how not liking something is always "fear of," as if just not liking anything automatically implies you're afraid of it -- homophobia, for instance, when a lot of people actually just don't like gay people, nobody is afraid of gay people and for the record I have gay friends, but it's just an example; or how about arachnophobia, always being assumed even if you hate spiders, but aren't afraid of them. Despite psychiatrists' infinite wisdom, not desiring something doesn't make you afraid of it. I don't like avocado, but I'm not afraid of it. I mean I'll touch it I just won't eat it!]
You are going off topic - this thread is for people who WANT to be in committed relationships and how they can increase their chances of getting there.

YOU obviously don't want to be in a committed relationship - I guess you like playing the field - so just move along, nothing for you to see here

Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Here's my order of operations....

Stage One (attraction), 1
Stage Two (uncertainty), 3,4,5,6,7,8
Stage Three (exclusivity),2
Stage Four (intimacy),10
Stage Five (commitment),9
I would only disagree because for me I'm not getting exclusive with someone until I am done being uncertain about them

But I love how you and a few others have put intimacy dead last, at the end of ALL the other stages - I agree with that. Wish young people could realize how many potential good relationships they ruin by jumping right into sex first.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,678,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are going off topic - this thread is for people who WANT to be in committed relationships and how they can increase their chances of getting there.

YOU obviously don't want to be in a committed relationship - I guess you like playing the field - so just move along, nothing for you to see here
haha, oh I'm sorry this is the girl's clubhouse, how did I get here?! Whoa you guys DO have a secret mind-reading machine, that's not fair, we don't have that in the guy's clubhouse!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
haha, oh I'm sorry this is the girl's clubhouse, how did I get here?! Whoa you guys DO have a secret mind-reading machine, that's not fair, we don't have that in the guy's clubhouse!
This is not just advice for women - I posted this thread for the guys too Many of them are just as stupid about this kind of thing as the women are.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM

Yeah but commitment is a four-letter word. Well, at least to most guys I know It's like a girl code word for life-long pain and suffering without morphine or other painkillers.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah but commitment is a four-letter word. Well, at least to most guys I know It's like a girl code word for life-long pain and suffering without morphine or other painkillers.
Again, you obviously aren't interested in having a long-term committed relationship at this time, and that's fine. But there are a lot of people who are very interested and do want this very much - women and men. I posted this info in case even in some small way it can help them find what they are looking for

Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM

36,867 posts, read 31,157,509 times
Commitment isnt gender specific. I broke off many "relationships" because the guy wanted to get too serious when I wasnt ready for that even though I thought I made it clear I wanted a casual relationship. If your not ready for a commited relationship, dont date exclusively.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm more or less joking around, but I don't agree on probably the definition of committed and I may not agree on the exact order of things. What I'm saying is for me, I am not a player. If I meet a girl I really like, I want to date her, and I don't want to date anyone else, or sleep with anyone else. And I'd like it if she would just date me, too. I have no problem with an exclusive relationship. I don't consider it "casual," but girls may consider it casual. I don't want to get married, ever, and I definitely don't want to have kids. So if a girl springs me with the WITG speech ("Where Is This Going"), I get confused. A relationship isn't a destination to me, it's not like it's a train and it goes from Los Angeles to Seattle or something. If we are both enjoying each other's company, we do fun things together, and we get along great, this is THE HIGHEST point any relationship can achieve. It doesn't "go" anywhere from there. It's there. It's at the zenith of its existence. It's like if my opinion of train is from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and her opinion is that it should go to Seattle, well I'm getting off in San Francisco. If she doesn't want to get off with me (excuse the pun) then she can take the train back to Los Angeles and find someone else who wants to travel to Seattle with her

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM

239 posts, read 925,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
And I think stage 4 and 5 should be switched.
Yes! Please do not miss this point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships