Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieCat View Post
Been there, done that. I picked up and moved halfway across the country for a change of pace. The next adventure on the agenda is to join the Peace Corp at some point and serve in either the Pacific Rim or Latin America.
That is awesome. If I didn't have kids and a spouse I'd go into the Peace Corp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One of my well traveled old friends says there is no geographic cure. He believes if you are unhappy inside here you'll be unhappy inside there.

I agree to a certain extent. But I think life changes and evolves. What was important at 30, is less so at 40 and maybe irrelevant at 50.

I was a military brat so we constantly moved and in many ways it was good. I think I have a better grounding and realistic view of the world compared to others I know that never travel outside of the county they live in. So if you are a parent it is probably not a bad idea for the occasional move to another place. Meet new people, new environment, new things, new climate, so on. It's good for the kids to learn how to adapt.

In life there are dreamers, doers and complainers. I'm a doer but I need to doodle and dream a bit, learn about it then do it. I'm not a bungee jumper doer. I think things through and then I execute. I actually have a little book of different things I want to do in my life and I keep working away at them bit by bit. I have personal and professional goals and a few material good goals.

As an example, my next personal goal outside of my career or owning something is to drive across the Nullabor plain in Australia from Perth to Adelaide and back again. I started researching it last year and am now looking at what I want to see in Western Australia. I'll sketch out a rough guide of things to see and do. It will probably be in 2010 when I do this trip.

Right before I hit 30 I was on a long trip to New Zealand and I had an epiphany that life was short and I needed to make the best of everyday. I realized much of my 20's in one sense had been wasted listening to other people, doing what i thought other people thought I should be doing, etc. I learned a lot though and it made me a better person but I didn't want to go through the next decade with regrets. And I haven't. I've really done quite well so far.

If you are not happy, figure out why, decide what to do about it and then execute and make it happen.

I'm not going to be sitting there at 65 like my friend is wondering where I pissed my life away to.

I hope you've read Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,269,609 times
I am not unhappy...actually, I am very happy...my husband and I just want to make sure we have done the things in life we have dreamed of...and some of these things we want to have the children join us and experience while they are young...

Quote:
One of my well traveled old friends says there is no geographic cure. He believes if you are unhappy inside here you'll be unhappy inside there.

I agree to a certain extent. But I think life changes and evolves. What was important at 30, is less so at 40 and maybe irrelevant at 50.

I was a military brat so we constantly moved and in many ways it was good. I think I have a better grounding and realistic view of the world compared to others I know that never travel outside of the county they live in. So if you are a parent it is probably not a bad idea for the occasional move to another place. Meet new people, new environment, new things, new climate, so on. It's good for the kids to learn how to adapt.

In life there are dreamers, doers and complainers. I'm a doer but I need to doodle and dream a bit, learn about it then do it. I'm not a bungee jumper doer. I think things through and then I execute. I actually have a little book of different things I want to do in my life and I keep working away at them bit by bit. I have personal and professional goals and a few material good goals.

As an example, my next personal goal outside of my career or owning something is to drive across the Nullabor plain in Australia from Perth to Adelaide and back again. I started researching it last year and am now looking at what I want to see in Western Australia. I'll sketch out a rough guide of things to see and do. It will probably be in 2010 when I do this trip.

Right before I hit 30 I was on a long trip to New Zealand and I had an epiphany that life was short and I needed to make the best of everyday. I realized much of my 20's in one sense had been wasted listening to other people, doing what i thought other people thought I should be doing, etc. I learned a lot though and it made me a better person but I didn't want to go through the next decade with regrets. And I haven't. I've really done quite well so far.

If you are not happy, figure out why, decide what to do about it and then execute and make it happen.

I'm not going to be sitting there at 65 like my friend is wondering where I pissed my life away to.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,435,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am not unhappy...actually, I am very happy...my husband and I just want to make sure we have done the things in life we have dreamed of...and some of these things we want to have the children join us and experience while they are young...
We have the same viewpoint. If we find a nice spot, I'll let you know. Maybe we can be neighbors someday.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,698,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I have friends who hit the road for a year or two, then came back to their sticks & bricks home, but we plan to go whole hog.
That always seems to be the case. I believe from what I have learned it is good to have a home base and a grounding to something. Essentially for 10 years I've lived in furnished apartments and I'm over it. Can't wait when I move into a small home. I love to travel BUT I'M NOT MOVING MY STUFF ANYMORE.

It's actually going to be easier for me to travel knowing I have a proper home to come back to. A proper desk, a desktop computer, a place for my files, a place to read, relax, a garage for my car, etc. before my next work trip or personal trip.

My 65 year old friend I mentioned above lives like a highwayman almost. Very interesting guy, but I see the instability in his mind because he never really has a place to go back to and a place that is his own sanctuary.

I suspect after a year or two on the road you'll be ready to "come home".

Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My favorite website is escapeartist.com...the dreams start flowing after spending a few minutes on there!!
I've read that website since 1997 or so. Great source for info.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hope you've read Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country
Oh yeah read that when it came out. What was funny was one of my trips to Australia my first experience with Canberra was actually exactly the same down to the travel center and staying in the exact same hotel and having the exact same reaction to the place. And I didn't plan it out that way it just happened.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
We have the same viewpoint. If we find a nice spot, I'll let you know. Maybe we can be neighbors someday.
Great!! Just listen out for a whole brood of kiddos!!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I've read that website since 1997 or so. Great source for info.
I love looking at the vacation options...my friends and I have talked about taking the horseback riding trip in Tibet but something always comes up

Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Oh yeah read that when it came out. What was funny was one of my trips to Australia my first experience with Canberra was actually exactly the same down to the travel center and staying in the exact same hotel and having the exact same reaction to the place. And I didn't plan it out that way it just happened.
I've just finished it for the second time - I enjoyed it even more the second time around Have your read his A Walk in the Woods about the AT? Gosh, he can paint a picture and make you laugh at the same time so well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships