Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Yeah, I already weeded out one of those (the married type). And then there's the one in five who contact me and are Europeans pretending to be American men trying to get my IM address. (Let's see, what was my first clue? That he claimed to be from Spokane, was holding an alligator, said his favorite hangouts were Covent Garden and Hyde Park, and called himself "cheeky"?
Oh yeah I LOVE those guys, asking me to email them directly....HA! Thankfully match has a "report this person" button!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Yeah, I already weeded out one of those (the married type). And then there's the one in five who contact me and are Europeans pretending to be American men trying to get my IM address. (Let's see, what was my first clue? That he claimed to be from Spokane, was holding an alligator, said his favorite hangouts were Covent Garden and Hyde Park, and called himself "cheeky"?
Good grief... some people are not even smart enough to lie, huh...

Then there are the ignorant ones... You remind me of a coffee shop I saw back in my home country. I guess the owner decided to be original and unique and named it Arizona. It had an alligator coming out of one of the corners of the building! Guess Arizona, Amazonia... same difference...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Some of them "sound" like they are so damn perfect, already have the "perfect" life, and are looking for that "perfect" woman to fit right in to it, it scares me away, lol.
Everyone is trying to put their "best foot forward" so to speak. If their profile sounded negative, then who would be interested? Take everything written with a grain of salt, but pay attention to the hobbies, lifestyle, priorities, that sort of thing. And always ALWAYS, get a confirmation that their pictures are current.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM

670 posts, read 2,114,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Trust me...give it some time. It really takes a while to learn the ropes. When you first go on, yeah...you'll get a jillion guys checking you out because you are new, and everyone looks at the new people first. Just because they looked, doesn't mean they are interested. If they KEEP looking, then probably the interest is there. But that doesn't mean you can't contact them anyway, if you want. Just don't get too caught up in expecting everyone to reply - many never do, even just as a courtesy. It's not a place for the thin-skinned, but it can be a lot of fun and you can meet some great people. I would say give it a week or so and let things calm down a bit.
I should clarify that I've been on the site for several months. Got a lot of response immediately. Wasn't very active on it while I met with those initial guys. Hid my profile for about a month. Rewrote profile and added some new pics. And then went back on after the holidays.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I should clarify that I've been on the site for several months. Got a lot of response immediately. Wasn't very active on it while I met with those initial guys. Hid my profile for about a month. Rewrote profile and added some new pics. And then went back on after the holidays.
Yep....everytime you go back on you'll get a lot of hits right off...you've probably figured that out by now.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:34 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Fortunately my wife initially contacted me...and eventually she proposed. Sigh...

Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Nothing wrong with the woman making the first move in real life or online. In fact it should be incouraged, personally wouldn't have meet a good chunk of chicks if not for this. For anyone who thinks its not ok I would like to hear why?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Guys don't get anywhere near the attention on those sites that the women do. They do the bulk of the contacting and generally don't even get a response back the majority of the time.

I would highly recommend contacting guys you think might be a good fit, you will probably have better luck that way but just know upfront that you won't hear back from the majority of people you contact and don't take it personally.

Consider plentyoffish.com (free) and it seems like it works as well as match.com

Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Fortunately my wife initially contacted me...and eventually she proposed. Sigh...
Good thing she did everything for ya, huh?! Why in the world is she in Sweden, though?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Good thing she did everything for ya, huh?! Why in the world is she in Sweden, though?
She's in Sweden awaiting immigration processing. Had she stayed in AK...she couldn't work, couldn't enroll in a college, couldn't get a license, no social security card etc until she had processed. Will be 4 to 12 months before she can come back permanant.
Had she sat at the house doing nothing for 12 months she very likely wouldn't want to be married anymore!
I have no problem traveling over there every few months like I have been doing the last year and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships