Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,239 times

Advertisements

I noticed lately that most of the middle aged married people I know are overweight. I googled some stats and found out that within the first 5 years of marriage, people gain almost 30 lbs on average. Why do people get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health? Don't they find it disgusting to obese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 PM

545 posts, read 908,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I noticed lately that most of the middle aged married people I know are overweight. I googled some stats and found out that within the first 5 years of marriage, people gain almost 30 lbs on average. Why do people get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health? Don't they find it disgusting to obese?
If that's true I should thank my lucky stars I got divorced when I did. /smh

Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, Professor Google strikes again. I don't suppose you bothered to google what the causality behind those stats may be, did you? What makes you think it's because people "get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health?"

Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,563 times
They are married, which ultimately leads them to be depressed and they deal with the depression by turning to food.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
I think the theory is like selling a house or car. While it is on the market, you have to take care of it, so it will look good and attract buyers. Once it is sold and the person signed their name legally on the line, why should you care how it looks, the buyer is stuck with it anyway.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Ah, yes, Professor Google strikes again. I don't suppose you bothered to google what the causality behind those stats may be, did you? What makes you think it's because people "get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health?"
Somehow, there seems to be some truth behind it. Women gaining weight once they get married.

Women gain weight after marriage, men after divorce - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Somehow, there seems to be some truth behind it. Women gaining weight once they get married.

Women gain weight after marriage, men after divorce - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com
The "yes" or "no" is not at issue here. Not to me. The "why" is. I am challenging the OP to learn a little more about "why." I'll give him a clue: It isn't necessarily that they are lazy and don't care anymore.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
I see this happening in both genders and I'm guessing people work harder on their appearance while they are single in order to attract a mate. Then when they get married, they don't have to work at that anymore so they relax some (or alot).

Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Some may just get comfortable and no longer care about impressing their partners. Some women are never able to lose the pregnancy weight gain.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
Food is enormously pleasurable for most couples. Beer and food. Soooo awesome.

I gained 15 lbs from my last relationship (but I also lost it all the same week after we broke up!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships