Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I don't blame women for getting fat though. You got your ring, you won. Who are you tryin to impress anymore? Your loser friends? You already Did that at the wedding. Theirs simply no motivation anymore.

That's one of the reasons I dont see myself getting married
I think it's genetics..that x chromosome . Men never gain weight once they settle down. Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Let's also keep in mind that when you're young and get married, you're still young. The hell do you have to do except show up to work and pay the bills?

Then you grow up and the kids come into play. The woman's bound to put on a few pounds from pregnancy alone. Dad might have to put in more hours or take on a promotion that requires more work. Long story short, life gets a little more stressful and you find yourself with less free time. I think stress is the biggest part, IIRC highly stressed people put on more weight more easily.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,461 times
Not everyone does. I've always tried my best to keep my weight at a certain point. I work out 5-6 times a week, and eat healthy and watch what I eat. I've always been like this, even before getting into relationships, even WHEN in relationships. That's just how I am. My mom is the same. I was raised that as a woman you have to keep yourself looking nice, and keep in shape, be attractive, etc. That is the belief I still have. Granted I have days where I don't put in as much effort, but my weight is one of those things that I'm just not careless with. I had a baby 10 months ago, and worked(and still work) very hard losing the weight. I've lost most of it, and am already back to a good(smaller) size, and expect to be back where I want to be, by the time my child is one. That being said, I do notice that there are SOME women and men that just let themselves go in relationships and marriages. And maybe it is a case of comfort, stress, etc. I had a friend who got married last year, and literally by the second month she looked like she had put on 15 pounds. It was weird because while she has always had somewhat of an issue trying to maintain her weight, I had never seen her get that careless about it. She was very happy though.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
No it isn't. Half his assets are the prize when she files for divorce. Duh

^^Is it bad that I'm not sure whether or not I'm kidding?^^
I wish my sister got that prize. Instead she lost her home and went through bankruptcy because of her ex-husband's "hard work" and honest dealings. But hey, the ring covered part of her attorneys' fees.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:35 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Let's also keep in mind that when you're young and get married, you're still young. The hell do you have to do except show up to work and pay the bills?

Then you grow up and the kids come into play. The woman's bound to put on a few pounds from pregnancy alone. Dad might have to put in more hours or take on a promotion that requires more work. Long story short, life gets a little more stressful and you find yourself with less free time. I think stress is the biggest part, IIRC highly stressed people put on more weight more easily.
I was hoping that the OP would have taken the time to discuss this. I challenged him to explore WHY people gain weight after they are married. I suppose that was a bit too much for him. In addition to what you've stated above, the fact that people tend to slow down physically as they grow older. And I'm not talking senior citizen older, I mean from 25 to 35 things begin to slow down for many. When I was 22 I could eat anything I wanted without fear of gaining weight. Now I'm 32 and watch what I eat much more so than when I was younger. But it took me a couple years before I really caught on that my metabolism was slowing down. Some people don't catch on at all. This goes for single people too. Maybe single people have more time to devote to fitness than married people do as both groups reach this stage in their lives.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,875,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I wish my sister got that prize. Instead she lost her home and went through bankruptcy because of her ex-husband's "hard work" and honest dealings. But hey, the ring covered part of her attorneys' fees.
That sucks. Let me guess. He worked in the world of finance and totally dicked his clients as well as himself and your sister?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
The man isn't the "prize". The ring is the prize.
And if she doesn't want or desire a ring?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah. Suppose she falls in love with a guy who cannot afford to give her a nice ring. Suppose she doesn't care. Suppose she loves the guy for who he is? Herein lies the problem with looking at marriage as a matter of "winning a prize." It's not a prize. It's a lifelong partnership (ideally).

Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Guys like him can't even fathom that

In their minds EVERY woman is out to rip guys off.

You've got to wonder what kind of sad home lives these guys have come from to be so twisted.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Guys like him can't even fathom that

In their minds EVERY woman is out to rip guys off.

You've got to wonder what kind of sad home lives these guys have come from to be so twisted.
Kind of makes you wonder what their hands are doing when they aren't being used to type foolish posts...

(please forgive me, Mods. It had to be said. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships