Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Ok, this is embarrassing but I'll tell you guys anyway. I'm 5'7 and weighed 150 when I met my husband, which isn't thin but didn't look bad because of the way my weight gets distributed on my body. When I got pregnant, I swear the censor in my brain that tells you you are full stopped working. I never ever felt full, it was very strange. I gained about 90 pounds! So after I had my son and felt up to it I started working out and got down to 175 and was still trying to lose but got pregnant again. I gained about 40 with that pregnancy. With 2 small children it got harder to exercise and I also had PPD for about a year. I always had spurts with working out so I'd loose some weight but then something would happen and I'd stop. Luckily I never gained back what I lost and would stay where I stopped.

Today I am 168, ugh, but that's way better than the weight I was before. I'm still recovering from a major surgery I had in May due to some complications. Hopefully in two weeks I'll finally get clearance to be able to exercise the way I want to again. Everyone cross your fingers for me, please. Since I haven't worked out in a while I'm going to have to build my endurance back up but once I do I want to train for the Warrior Dash. Those things look like a ton of fun! Youtube it if you don't know what I'm talking about. I can't wait to be able to hike again and build up to running. It's not that I'm oblivious to my body and the healthy changes that need to be made but sometimes life gets in the way, like this surgery I just had. I don't really have a goal size or weight, I just want to get strong and healthy.
Hey, Rome wasnt built in a day and neither was your body. Real life occurances that are more important than weight, get in the way often, but it seems to me like you really care and continue doing what you can. Keep it up, its already paying off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Ok, this is embarrassing but I'll tell you guys anyway. I'm 5'7 and weighed 150 when I met my husband, which isn't thin but didn't look bad because of the way my weight gets distributed on my body. When I got pregnant, I swear the censor in my brain that tells you you are full stopped working. I never ever felt full, it was very strange. I gained about 90 pounds! So after I had my son and felt up to it I started working out and got down to 175 and was still trying to lose but got pregnant again. I gained about 40 with that pregnancy. With 2 small children it got harder to exercise and I also had PPD for about a year. I always had spurts with working out so I'd loose some weight but then something would happen and I'd stop. Luckily I never gained back what I lost and would stay where I stopped.

Today I am 168, ugh, but that's way better than the weight I was before. I'm still recovering from a major surgery I had in May due to some complications. Hopefully in two weeks I'll finally get clearance to be able to exercise the way I want to again. Everyone cross your fingers for me, please. Since I haven't worked out in a while I'm going to have to build my endurance back up but once I do I want to train for the Warrior Dash. Those things look like a ton of fun! Youtube it if you don't know what I'm talking about. I can't wait to be able to hike again and build up to running. It's not that I'm oblivious to my body and the healthy changes that need to be made but sometimes life gets in the way, like this surgery I just had. I don't really have a goal size or weight, I just want to get strong and healthy.
Good for you realizing what had occurred and that you needed to do something about it! Keep it up!!! Hope you reach your goal that you are setting for yourself!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I dunno.
I do notice that when I was single, I wouldn't really think about food. It's like, "Oh, time to eat? Whatever...I'll just eat this thing real quick."
And because I had no one at home to socialize with, I spent more time at the gym and my martial arts class, etc.

Now that I have built in home entertainment, I am loathe to leave it (so I work out when she's not home)...and since I have a pal to eat with, meal times are more of an occasion. I love to cook, but I'd never do it just for myself. Now I do it all the time.

It's just different. I never went out to eat by myself. Now I have a built-in date...
This is so true. I am finding it more of a challenge to lose weight now that I'm not single. There are several reasons and ultimately it is my responsibility so I am in no way blaming my husband. When I was single I didn't eat out as much because I didn't have anyone to go with. I spent a lot more time alone so if I wanted to go for an eight mile walk I did. Meals were not important to me. I ate when I was hungry and if I felt like toast for dinner that's what I had.

Now I have someone to hang out with and I enjoy it. I enjoy going out to eat and trying new places. I enjoy spending mealtime together, which isn't a given due to opposite work schedules. Plus, he is a fantastic cook! Basically, I am not the only otne I have to consider now. That's what marriage means and I like that. It just means I need to adjust my thinking and adapt.

To be honest, I was overweight when I moved up here. I gained more because there are so many good places to eat and I got lazy with exercise. It took me awhile to find something I like in a new town, but I did and am getting back into a routine. I got married nine months ago and today I am thirty pounds lighter. I still have more to go, but I will get there.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I noticed lately that most of the middle aged married people I know are overweight. I googled some stats and found out that within the first 5 years of marriage, people gain almost 30 lbs on average. Why do people get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health? Don't they find it disgusting to obese?
I know. It sucks. That is why I try to stay in shape, because what I see at work everyday is horrendous.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Somehow, there seems to be some truth behind it. Women gaining weight once they get married.

Women gain weight after marriage, men after divorce - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com
Pregnancy?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I don't blame women for getting fat though. You got your ring, you won. Who are you tryin to impress anymore? Your loser friends? You already Did that at the wedding. Theirs simply no motivation anymore.

That's one of the reasons I dont see myself getting married
Do you tell your friends you think they're losers?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The man isn't the "prize". The ring is the prize.
Maybe if you hail from a 3rd world country.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I think it's genetics..that x chromosome . Men never gain weight once they settle down. Never.
LMAO...tell me about that! I can say my husband is the same size he was when I met him 20yrs ago and he looks pretty freakin' awesome in his birthday suit...no belly, no flab, still toned and ...is it getting hot in here? LOL

Anyway, I digress. MOST men I know have a gutt...I would say at least 95% of them. I'm talking about married men that are parents in their 30's and 40's. I would say in most cases, the women look a lot better than their husbands.

I can't speak to why all people gain weight, but I can say that I did in the first 5yrs of marriage. Our first child was born 18 months after we married and we had 3 more within the next 5yrs.

The biggest challenge for me is that he expects a full meal at dinner, and I could care less if I even eat dinner. However, in our house that is family time and so I sit and eat, even though I don't really need to eat. I've since kicked that bad habit. I eat when I'm hungry, not on his schedule, and that has helped with the weight.

I'm lighter now than I was when we got married...wooo hooo! lol

Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Maybe if you hail from a 3rd world country.
Seeing how some women parade around with their shiny rock, it seems like it is a prize. My theory is that a lot of women determine their worth and value by how big and expensive their ring is in comparison to their friends. It's all about bragging rights basically saying look how much a man loves me but you don't have a ring from a man so you aren't as worthy as me.

This picture sums up the mentality I'm talking about:

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,695 times
Quote:
Seeing how some women parade around with their shiny rock, it seems like it is a prize. My theory is that a lot of women determine their worth and value by how big and expensive their ring is in comparison to their friends. It's all about bragging rights basically saying look how much a man loves me but you don't have a ring from a man so you aren't as worthy as me.

This picture sums up the mentality I'm talking about:
Ha! The folks at work got a kick out of that. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships