Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times

Advertisements

Sneakers gained 20 pounds the first few months we were together however the reason behind that is because I am a very good cook and actually cook at home and feed him well and send lunch with him. Before that supper for him was a Pepsi, a package of Doritos Cheese Crackers and a Twinkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,787,012 times
When I was personal training my women clients were either freshly broken up/ going through divorce or just had a baby.

People just get careless and complacent. It happens to the best of us. You just have to fix it before it becomes 50-80lbs, that's a big problem.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
I think men get good home cooking and no longer lead the single life with a bottle of ketsup in the fridge. Women get pregnant and have kids and it is often hard to keep your youthful weight after popping out 4 kids. Food is enjoyable and something you can do together at night, muching while watching tv, going out to eat, fixing your kids all those fattening foods like mac and cheese and chicken nuggets which you end up eating too. Then there is the fact that you don't feel like you have to impress anymore, it is easy to get lazy and just accept yourself and your spouse the way they are. Boy, all that sure sounded depressing.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think men get good home cooking and no longer lead the single life with a bottle of ketsup in the fridge. Women get pregnant and have kids and it is often hard to keep your youthful weight after popping out 4 kids. Food is enjoyable and something you can do together at night, muching while watching tv, going out to eat, fixing your kids all those fattening foods like mac and cheese and chicken nuggets which you end up eating too. Then there is the fact that you don't feel like you have to impress anymore, it is easy to get lazy and just accept yourself and your spouse the way they are. Boy, all that sure sounded depressing.
The macaroni & cheese part sounded awesome!!! : )

Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I noticed lately that most of the middle aged married people I know are overweight. I googled some stats and found out that within the first 5 years of marriage, people gain almost 30 lbs on average. Why do people get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health? Don't they find it disgusting to obese?
Why do people start threads with stupid questions that are based on false assumptions?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why do people start threads with stupid questions that are based on false assumptions?
What's false. Is it the fact that the studies show that people gain weight after marriage. I'm guessing you are going to run away and ignore the fact that the stats prove my point. 30 lbs in 5 years is a lot of weight. There is nothing false about that assumption. Is it a coincidence that America has a growing obesity epidemic? Where do you think the majority of the cases are coming from? Most likely married people.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
What's false. Is it the fact that the studies show that people gain weight after marriage. I'm guessing you are going to run away and ignore the fact that the stats prove my point. 30 lbs in 5 years is a lot of weight. There is nothing false about that assumption. Is it a coincidence that America has a growing obesity epidemic? Where do you think the majority of the cases are coming from? Most likely married people.
People do not "use marriage as an excuse to pig out". THAT'S what's false. If someone is a "pig"; they love to eat and cannot control their appetite, that little fact will be evident long before they get married. When I was married, I worked out, and ran regularly. This was a routine that I established long before getting married, and I continued it. 6 weeks after I gave birth to my son, I weighed a couple of pounds LESS than I did when I got pregnant. I was at my thinnest when we split up. After that, I gained about 10 pounds a year because I was unable to continue my same routine due to time constraints, and I simply gave up on exercise completely. When my son got a little older, I eased back into it, and have been back at a healthy weight for many years now. Marriage certainly was not the impetus for my weight gain.

Obesity has to do with ignorance about food and lack of discipline, and lack of exercise. In some cases, there are medical reasons of course, but those are few. When people get married, if they are truly fitness minded, those people will not be the ones that have issues with obesity. As people age, metabolism slows - that is a FACT. We need less calories every single year after a certain age, and if we don't pick up the pace with exercise, then we have to reduce our calorie consumption. This definitely plays a part in those people that gain as they get older.

Also, when people begin families, if they don't make efforts to continue active lifestyles, then they'll see the pounds add up, year after year. Certainly, many also have the mentality of "well I'm married now I don't need to impress anyone"....unfortunately, but I attribute that to ignorance, and I don't think that is anywhere NEAR the majority of "married people". I think many people just get older, and get lazy. Period.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Its really simple. You're off the market, you take the attraction from your wife or husband for granted, and you let yourself go because you care a little bit less about your appearance. However, I dont know that this goes for most people, I know many married couples who take care of themselves and their weight no different then they did before marriage. In fact, in the neighborhood I live currently, pretty much every person you come accross seems to be pretty fit and really takes care of their appearance/weight.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Doesn't just happen in marriages but regular relationships as well. My ex gained 130lbs in 4.5 years..went from 200lbs to 330lbs..Main cause of our breakup because he didn't give a shyt about his looks and didn't give a shyt about the way I felt about his looks..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,983 times
Ok, this is embarrassing but I'll tell you guys anyway. I'm 5'7 and weighed 150 when I met my husband, which isn't thin but didn't look bad because of the way my weight gets distributed on my body. When I got pregnant, I swear the censor in my brain that tells you you are full stopped working. I never ever felt full, it was very strange. I gained about 90 pounds! So after I had my son and felt up to it I started working out and got down to 175 and was still trying to lose but got pregnant again. I gained about 40 with that pregnancy. With 2 small children it got harder to exercise and I also had PPD for about a year. I always had spurts with working out so I'd loose some weight but then something would happen and I'd stop. Luckily I never gained back what I lost and would stay where I stopped.

Today I am 168, ugh, but that's way better than the weight I was before. I'm still recovering from a major surgery I had in May due to some complications. Hopefully in two weeks I'll finally get clearance to be able to exercise the way I want to again. Everyone cross your fingers for me, please. Since I haven't worked out in a while I'm going to have to build my endurance back up but once I do I want to train for the Warrior Dash. Those things look like a ton of fun! Youtube it if you don't know what I'm talking about. I can't wait to be able to hike again and build up to running. It's not that I'm oblivious to my body and the healthy changes that need to be made but sometimes life gets in the way, like this surgery I just had. I don't really have a goal size or weight, I just want to get strong and healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships