Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
It's not my fault that researchers these days don't adjust for every variable, but the study I linked did compare married to single people which is what matters. Married people get fatter than singles.
No, I suppose it isn't your fault. But it is an indicator that maybe this isn't good research to begin with. Good research would consider variables, justify why they were considered, and even justify why some other variables were not considered. For someone with a brain, this research is not completely useless, but it is not enough. However, it supports your previously held beliefs so it's good enough for you. Here's a napkin. Wipe that kool-aid mustache off your lip. This thread was never about answering the question of "why." It was simply a venue for you to offer thinly veiled insults toward people who gain weight after they marry.

Then to go on and justify your ignorance with a statement beginning with the words "It's not my fault" further underscores the intellectual laziness you've displayed. Someone else didn't look at the variable for you, so I guess you can't and won't do it for yourself. I guess if ignorance is bliss you must be a very happy person.

It also reveals astonishing shallowness. But you don't have anything to worry about. Your partner will never gain weight. In fact, she'll never weigh more than a few ounces of plastic and the hot air it took to blow her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Then you grow up and the kids come into play. The woman's bound to put on a few pounds from pregnancy alone. Dad might have to put in more hours or take on a promotion that requires more work. Long story short, life gets a little more stressful and you find yourself with less free time. I think stress is the biggest part, IIRC highly stressed people put on more weight more easily.

From the article someone else posted earlier:

"The researchers did not collect data as to the reasons behind their findings, but because married women often have a larger role around the house, they may have less time to exercise, said study researcher Zhenchao Qian, professor of sociology at Ohio State University.

In contrast, men are known to get a health boost out of marriage, perhaps because their spouses monitor their behavior and eating habits, Tumin said. They lose this benefit once they divorce."

Pretty much. Women also change their eating habits to match a man's, which is pretty self-defeating in my opinion. Eat like a 170-pound man, you'll look like a 170-pound man. But they feel that if they put the effort into cooking the food, they should eat it, too. They eat it if they're not hungry, to be social and "share" in the meal. Sure, they could just refrain, but in my experience, then usually the man says, "Why aren't you eating?" and makes a big stink of it.

That's why men need to get into the kitchen and cook more. My take is this: If I don't want anything more than a salad (and after working all day, I usually don't), and a man wants something more than that, either he can cook his own food, or we can go out and I can have my salad and he can get what he wants. I'm not cooking food I have no intention of eating, and then sitting there being criticized for not eating, or feeling like I'm "supposed" to eat when he does, or eat to be social, just because he feels like having a big meal. I wouldn't expect him to cook me dinner if he wasn't hungry. Why should he expect that from me? Yet all too many men do. Well, they're big boys. They can lift pots and pans or call for a reservation.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Yes, I know what the noun maroon means - which is how it was used - and still don't see how it relates to the post. Maybe there's an urban dictionary version that I am not familiar with or maybe it's just over my head.
Yes, it's over your head.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
God... I do NOT get this. I have known women with husbands like this. What is their problem? Why wouldnt any man (or woman) want their partner to look as good as they possibly can? What man would prefer a fat wife over a hot one? What's up with that!??

Because hot women attract men, and one of those men might be somehow "better" than the husband. That goes twice over if the husband himself gained weight. Better to be fat with someone than fat alone.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dissenter View Post
i think the theory is like selling a house or car. While it is on the market, you have to take care of it, so it will look good and attract buyers. Once it is sold and the person signed their name legally on the line, why should you care how it looks, the buyer is stuck with it anyway.
+1

Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I noticed lately that most of the middle aged married people I know are overweight. I googled some stats and found out that within the first 5 years of marriage, people gain almost 30 lbs on average. Why do people get lazy after marriage and stop caring about their health? Don't they find it disgusting to obese?
If it hasn't already been said, usually around the time people get married, they buy a home, start having kids, and they start working their way up the ladder job wise so they really don't have the time to workout regularly and take care of themselves (other then buying nice clothes) as they once use to before they were childfree and single.

Then you add on eating out every day at work, the luncheons, and all the poorly nutritious fast food that is normally consumed on average just makes the situation worse.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I see this happening in both genders and I'm guessing people work harder on their appearance while they are single in order to attract a mate. Then when they get married, they don't have to work at that anymore so they relax some (or alot).
And that's just stupid. Why give your consort a reason to LEAVE? On the other hand, I have known people who tried to make their consort fat so they would not have to worry about some other person finding them attractive.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
In addition to what you've stated above, the fact that people tend to slow down physically as they grow older. And I'm not talking senior citizen older, I mean from 25 to 35 things begin to slow down for many. When I was 22 I could eat anything I wanted without fear of gaining weight. Now I'm 32 and watch what I eat much more so than when I was younger. But it took me a couple years before I really caught on that my metabolism was slowing down. Some people don't catch on at all. This goes for single people too.
I don't buy into that. I'm an athlete and it's all about maintaining your physical fitness and living a clean life to prolong your youth.

Then you add on the advancements of pharmacology and nutritional programs that have a mild drug like affect there is simply no reason for anyone to be slowing down in their 30s. That's just preposterous.

If you have slowed down in your late 20's/30 you have been living wrong and making poor choices for the past 10 years (drinking, eating bad food, drug use, little sleep, living in a toxic environment).

The woman on the left is 40! Her name is Chandra Sturrup and she could out sprint 95% of the males on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Maybe single people have more time to devote to fitness than married people do as both groups reach this stage in their lives.
Yes, they do.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I think it's genetics..that x chromosome . Men never gain weight once they settle down. Never.
The genetic part is very true because men produce more testosterone then women which helps men stay lean. Men also lack the fatty deposits that women have around the breast and glutes.

Aside from that, men do gain weight once they settle down but it mostly depends on what kind of job they have.

For example, men who have jobs where hard physical work is incorporated into the job such as blue collar guys, they're more likely to stay in shape opposed to white collar men who sit around all day and eat junk food out the vending machines.

Studies from national geographic also say that blue collar men make more testosterone on average then white collar men.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I don't buy into that. I'm an athlete and it's all about maintaining your physical fitness and living a clean life to prolong your youth.

Then you add on the advancements of pharmacology and nutritional programs that have a mild drug like affect there is simply no reason for anyone to be slowing down in their 30s. That's just preposterous.

If you have slowed down in your late 20's/30 you have been living wrong and making poor choices for the past 10 years (drinking, eating bad food, drug use, little sleep, living in a toxic environment).
I'm talking average person here. Not athletes. I'm pretty fit as well, though I would not consider myself an athlete. When I was 19 I could do a 3 mile run in under 15 minutes. Now it takes me about 19:30. I'm not as fast a runner anymore, but I've also made up for it in other areas of fitness. I've also changed my focus from short and fast to endurance running. Most importantly, I do not eat garbage like I used to. Remember, everyone is different. My metabolism has slowed down and I have adjusted. I'm in better all around shape now than I have ever been. But it is a result of me adjusting. To deny that people slow down in their late 20s and 30s is denying reality. Sure, we have science that helps us, but it helps us adjust. It doesn't stop the clock from taking its toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships