Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Ok, I started thinking about my married woman friends, because looking at the big picture I'm not seeing what the OP sees, which seems to be his friends get married and turn obese. :confuse

My married friends:

Woman #1: trained and did a triathalon. Now canoe paddles and did the Molokai Channel race.

Woman #2: Has put on a little weight, so started dieting and P90x.

Woman #3: Does zumba twice a week, in addition to other stuff (beach stuff like paddle boarding on weekends).

Woman #4: Put on a little weight, currently doing weight watchers, some sort of exercise class every weekday morning.

Most of us have put on some weight compared to our 20s (duh), but most of us are in good shape, we're into healthy cooking, and exercise or sport of some sort.

I think income level and education are part of the equation, as well as like minded individuals generally hang out with the same. Of course I know some men/women who complain about the weight gain, but do little about it, but in my circle it is definitely the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
Why the frown? As an example- A couple of years ago I read this one book that was based out of Rhode Island and involved various species of owl, a forest ranger, and bird watchers. I read it during my lunch hour over a couple weeks at this cafe across the street from my job. I usually got an artichoke panini or an apple salad. Now, when I have that panini, I'm reminded of the snowy owl can be spotted during the winter in Rhode Island.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I started thinking about my married woman friends, because looking at the big picture I'm not seeing what the OP sees, which seems to be his friends get married and turn obese. :confuse

My married friends:

Woman #1: trained and did a triathalon. Now canoe paddles and did the Molokai Channel race.

Woman #2: Has put on a little weight, so started dieting and P90x.

Woman #3: Does zumba twice a week, in addition to other stuff (beach stuff like paddle boarding on weekends).

Woman #4: Put on a little weight, currently doing weight watchers, some sort of exercise class every weekday morning.

Most of us have put on some weight compared to our 20s (duh), but most of us are in good shape, we're into healthy cooking, and exercise or sport of some sort.

I think income level and education are part of the equation, as well as like minded individuals generally hang out with the same. Of course I know some men/women who complain about the weight gain, but do little about it, but in my circle it is definitely the minority.
Great post.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
If you're going to insult someone's intelligence, you should probably learn how to spell moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL! Do you not know what a maroon is?
You just cracked me up. I wondered how long it would take someone to swat that.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I have noticed that woman rarely ever eat out by themselves. It's almost like women are afraid to be alone.
Oh good grief. I can't believe people even think up such crap.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh good grief. I can't believe people even think up such crap.
Why else do women never go out to a bar by herself in her area. They literally never do.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Why else do women never go out to a bar by herself in her area. They literally never do.

I am a bartender and have served solo women before. I'm also a woman and dine out/have a drink alone. So I guess you are wrong.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Because they don't want it to be seen as an invitation to men? Maybe men don't have to concern themselves with that type of thing. I think most men can sit down, enjoy a drink and have some peace and quiet...not so much for a woman, especially if she is somewhat attractive.

I've gone out to dinner alone, but I wouldn't go out to a bar alone because then I'm the designated driver...kind of defeats the point. When I travel alone I bring wine, a wine stopper, a bottle opener and my plastic travel glass

Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I did. All the time. Never bothered me a bit. Most women are simply uncomfortable with how men view them when they go out alone. There are always the guys that think because you are alone, you are looking for "company"...and you may be, but not with every hound dog there. They bug you, stare at you, try to buy you a drink...whatever. They can't take a hint. There's a huge double-standard there. But I never cared...I can shoo a guy off without even blinking.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Because they don't want it to be seen as an invitation to men? Maybe men don't have to concern themselves with that type of thing. I think most men can sit down, enjoy a drink and have some peace and quiet...not so much for a woman, especially if she is somewhat attractive.

I've gone out to dinner alone, but I wouldn't go out to a bar alone because then I'm the designated driver...kind of defeats the point. When I travel alone I bring wine, a wine stopper, a bottle opener and my plastic travel glass
Yep. This^^.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships