Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
She's in Sweden awaiting immigration processing. Had she stayed in AK...she couldn't work, couldn't enroll in a college, couldn't get a license, no social security card etc until she had processed. Will be 4 to 12 months before she can come back permanant.
Had she sat at the house doing nothing for 12 months she very likely wouldn't want to be married anymore!
I have no problem traveling over there every few months like I have been doing the last year and a half.
Please don't tell me she got married on the tourist visa waiver! Had she been on a fiancee visa she would've gone through the process here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Guys don't get anywhere near the attention on those sites that the women do. They do the bulk of the contacting and generally don't even get a response back the majority of the time.

I would highly recommend contacting guys you think might be a good fit, you will probably have better luck that way but just know upfront that you won't hear back from the majority of people you contact and don't take it personally.
Yeah, if I don't hear back from a guy, I won't take it personally. Will just tell myself I probably look exactly like his ex!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Please don't tell me she got married on the tourist visa waiver! Had she been on a fiancee visa she would've gone through the process here.
She wasn't on any visa period! Scandianvia has a visa waiver as does the US for up to 90 days.
Anyhow...she could have stayed here for the processing...but could not work, could not enroll in a college, could not get a license etc...for 4 months to a year. How boring would that be sitting at the house as I am gone for 2 weeks at a time working. So we will bide our time and I'll travel every 2 or 3 months to see her.
We're ok with that...but man I sure do get to missing her after a month or so. And our time together is very well spent.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I would 'wink' at someone if I was interested in them, if they don't respond, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Many ppl don't belong to the site so they may wink back but you won't get an email.

My words of wisdom be careful of those profiles or emails that sound too romantic and watch for misspelled words or sentences that don't make sense. There are some from Africa, who post a bogus profile with a pic of a real person, like the airline pilot who contacted me. It didn't take but a note or two for the scam to begin.

I also suggest you meet for coffee not lunch or dinner. Those 'few extra lbs' can be 100 or more. You just never know who is really going to show up. Yep.. that has happened to me.

True story.. a guy I know responded to a woman who had a very attractive pic. He went to her house to pick her up for their 1st date. Another older woman answered the door and he asked for 'Suzie'. She invited him in and said 'she will be right out' and left the room. Next thing he knows out comes the woman who answered the door in a teddy.. The picture was of her daughter!!!

Rance.. you are one lucky man..

Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 AM

28 posts, read 69,742 times
I'm a guy on a dating site that created a profile and didn't go looking around all that much. I figured most of the woman are getting messages constantly and I would just be lost in the shuffle. So I just created a nice short profile that showed some of my characteristics and let them come to me. So far it's been working out fine. If I am doing this I would bet a lot of good men are as well. I also know a lot of good women on some sites hide their profile and do most of the reaching out.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
She wasn't on any visa period! Scandianvia has a visa waiver as does the US for up to 90 days.
Anyhow...she could have stayed here for the processing...but could not work, could not enroll in a college, could not get a license etc...for 4 months to a year. How boring would that be sitting at the house as I am gone for 2 weeks at a time working. So we will bide our time and I'll travel every 2 or 3 months to see her.
We're ok with that...but man I sure do get to missing her after a month or so. And our time together is very well spent.
That's exactly what I meant! You people are nuts! I told you beforehand! You better get ready to move to Sweden then! Getting married on a tourist visa (or waiver; same difference) is considered fraud in case you don't know.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Thanks, I guess I will try this. A lot of guys have been looking at my profile, but not contacting me. (like 128 yesterday)...Should I not contact them since that means they looked at what I wrote and didn't contact me, and just concentrate on guys who didn't look at all? Or should I assume since they looked, they were slightly interested?

...I guess I'm really overthinking this.
I had to chuckle when I read this. I have been dating someone now for 3 years...we met because I viewed his profile a couple of times without contacting him. He noticed that I was checking him out and contacted me.

But, I had previously initiated contact many times. Sending a "wink" or a "smile" is a great, low-pressure way to start, but a short email is definitely appropriate!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's exactly what I meant! You people are nuts! I told you beforehand! You better get ready to move to Sweden then! Getting married on a tourist visa (or waiver; same difference) is considered fraud in case you don't know.
Funny...the immigration lady didn't mention anything about that being fraud. Neither did the lady in Florida that gave us our license.
Mrs Rance has been trying to get me to move there for over a year now!
If it came down to it I would...it's a wonderful place. Very similar to Alaska.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Funny...the immigration lady didn't mention anything about that being fraud. Neither did the lady in Florida that gave us our license.
Mrs Rance has been trying to get me to move there for over a year now!
If it came down to it I would...it's a wonderful place. Very similar to Alaska.
It's not funny at all. Hope you're lucky.

Fiancé & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration (http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/objectID/E0F68B91-2668-463B-8524281B1AB24AB9/sampleChapter/3/118/ - broken link)

VisaJourney.com > Visitor visa holder and US citizen plan to get married at church in US. Please help...

Got Married While on Tourist Visa - No Preconcieved intent - Immigration - Avvo.com

Marriage to a US citizen on a visitor visa - Immigrate2US.net

It might be OK because she did go back.

Firstly, it is legitimate to enter the US on a tourist visa or visa waiver and marry a U.S. citizen if AFTER doing so you actually intend to return to your home country.

However, if someone simply enters as a tourist and subsequently marries a US citizen or otherwise applies for a Green card thru the adjustment of status process, and does so soon after entering as a tourist the Immigration service could accuse them of 'visa fraud'.

Overview of marriage visas (http://fiancee-marriage-visas.com/K-1-k-3-visas.htm - broken link)

You probably just did it on purpose 'cause you wanna go to Sweden!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Nobody tells me who I can and can't marry. Or when. If my government stoops that low I'll pack my bags and flip this country the bird as I level off at 30,000' headed for the mother land!
And besides:

Quote:
If you are married to a U.S. citizen, there is no waiting period or quota to delay your entry into the United States. You will be subject to the usual time period it takes to process your paperwork and for the government to make sure you are not excludable for any reason, such as criminal past or health problems.
Quote:
The only categories of people who avoid the visa waiting list are those defined as immediate relatives, which include the spouses of U.S. citizens.
Quote:
Entering the US on a VWP with the intent to marry is perfectly legal AS LONG AS you return to your country within 90 days. If you return to your country as a legal spouse (having filed a marriage certificate), your USC spouse must file a K-3 for you to return. If your entry into the US on a VWP was with the intent to remain in the US, THAT is fraud. It's the intent to remain, not the intent to marry, that is the issue.
So you see ladies and gentlemen...it's perfectly ok for the lady to contact the man first, establish a relationship, fall head over heels in love, get married, and follow through with the proper process to bring your spouse home.

Last edited by Rance; 02-03-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships