Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,306,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
If they can support them by themselves, why not? Its not the optimum situation but with so many marriages failing, it has to be as good and perhaps better.

Just don't sue for child support or denigrate men for not supporting you.
Support themselves and their child? Absolutely. The father should also be able to support himself and the child he helped create. Don't tell me that only married/divorced women deserve child support if they ask for it.

The only women who don't 'deserve' child support are the ones who intentionally get pregnant even after their boyfriend tells them they DO NOT want children. That is wrong and deceitful. Do you know why they get that money? For the child who didn't ask to be born. In the US government's eyes, it is a child's right to have both parents contribute to their welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,787,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
[T]he most intelligent and accomplished women usually have few or no kids.
Are you referring to famously intelligent and accomplished women? It would seem so, because you said "the most." You and I probably have different ideas about what constitutes accomplishment, so what intelligent, successful, childless women are you talking about? I don't understand why such women wouldn't have children; not only are humans, as animals, generally interested in passing our genes on to the next generation, smart and accomplished women are the type we want most to procreate. The self-titled alpha males who do not procreate are oxymorons.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,249,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Don't put it all on the woman.
Unfortunately, since it's the women that get pregnant and not the menfolk, this is mostly on the women. It's up to the woman to take control and to not get pregnant by accident. Birth control methods are very very effective in preventing pregnancy. The pill must be taken on a regular basis and at the same time every day. There are patches. There is the morning after pill.

I understand that sex is just a recreational sport to some people, but please only have responsible fun. And having children should be planned and something that BOTH people want. Getting pregnant is a biological event. Having a baby is not a gift from god like getting a winning lottery ticket. And having a baby comes with a lot of important emotional and financial responsibilities that last a lifetime.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM

269 posts, read 1,003,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf Arf View Post
What's wrong with you people? You make it sound like it's the woman's fault. I'm sorry, but isn't a penis involved somewhere along the line? I doubt most of these women were artificially inseminated. When they got pregant it sounds like they were responsible enough to accept it and take care of the child. Where's the father?

The sad thing is that the woman is labored with the child and has to face the consequences alone. She is the one who is vilified and the father can run off and screw whoever else he wants. It's a shame.
But it IS the woman's fault, because it is HER BODY and HER CHOICE to continue the pregnancy. Women need to stop being stupid and letting no-good losers impregnate them. Use a condom every time, they are 98% effective, and if you fall into that 2% then there's the morning-after-pill or just have an ABORTION! It's really quite simple.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Personally I think it is most likely easier to parent when one has a partner but I do not necessarily believe women should only be divorced or widowed to be single parents. Marriage is not the cure all and does not necessarily make adults better parents.

A single parent who CHOOSES to be single has my blessing as any other good parent does. The lack of a marriage does not disqualify them as good parents.

I think no one has an issue with accomplished financially-secure women, such as Condoleeza Rice, CHOOSING to have a child (by adopting or whatever) to experience one of life's greatest joys, i.e. being a MOTHER!

Women who find themselves still unmarried and approaching 35 y/o with no prospects of having a husband, should go ahead and use a friend/boyfriend/sperm-donor to conceive a child if it will make her happy.

Being a Single Mom is OKAY so long as you can afford it and are mature enough to deal with all the trials of parenting the next generation, but I HATE when women have all these out-of-wedlock kids young and then call it an "accident" while blaming everybody else and relying on Govt' Support. It ain't no accident!!! These are just dumb girls who don't care, because they're not footing the bill, the taxpayers are!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,668,415 times
First of all, why does a child need to be born in wedlock? Do you think marriage comes with some kind of guarantee? If I meet a woman who had a child with a boyfriend that she broke up with and then I meet a woman who had a child with her ex-husband, I won't look at those women differently. Commitment isn't measured by a piece of paper. Maybe the couple who decided to have a child together thought they would never break up. Look at someone like Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. They've been together for who knows how long, they've had children and they've never married. But if they split, am I supposed to look at her differently than I would the divorced mother?

Second, birth control is pretty reliable, but it doesn't come with a 100% guarantee. And while women do have the morning-after pill, that's a relatively new option that people take for granted now. Some people may have had kids before that option was there.

Third, to Skapov above, your comment that a woman can "just have an abortion" is offensive. I'm strongly pro-choice, but I don't think abortion should be used as a form of birth control. I have more respect for the woman who accidentaly gets pregnant, but takes responsibility for her actions than the woman who treats abortion as a convenient safety net whenever birth control fails.

The bottom line with single parents is you don't know the circumstances of how they came to be single parents. I choose to give someone the benefit of the doubt before jumping to any conclusions.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The bottom line with single parents is you don't know the circumstances of how they came to be single parents. I choose to give someone the benefit of the doubt before jumping to any conclusions.
The reality is that as currently stands, 70% of Black Children are being born out-of-wedlock! This trend is destroying the Black Community, and so the days of giving people "the benefit of the doubt" must end, and we must DEMAND that people take responsibility for their actions.

Barack & Michelle Obama, with their traditional nuclear family, should be the ideal! Single-Parents are to blame for high-crime, poor school performance and high dropout rates among black students, and high poverty rates. African-Americans can continue down this path to failure, or we can change course and succeed in life.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,685,275 times
oh no...

yes single parents are to blame. [sarcasm off]

X's2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
The reality is that as currently stands, 70% of Black Children are being born out-of-wedlock! This trend is destroying the Black Community, and so the days of giving people "the benefit of the doubt" must end, and we must DEMAND that people take responsibility for their actions.

Barack & Michelle Obama, with their traditional nuclear family, should be the ideal! Single-Parents are to blame for high-crime, poor school performance and high dropout rates among black students, and high poverty rates. African-Americans can continue down this path to failure, or we can change course and succeed in life.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,685,275 times
great post.

abortion is fine, but their are two people involved, not just one. its not just about women. men got a role to play also.

another point skaboy misses is that we men can also simply elect to have some surgical procedures done to ensure 100 percent birth control... snip snip. its our body after all.

but i think some of these guys pushing abortion might be a bit young, or young minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
First of all, why does a child need to be born in wedlock? Do you think marriage comes with some kind of guarantee? If I meet a woman who had a child with a boyfriend that she broke up with and then I meet a woman who had a child with her ex-husband, I won't look at those women differently. Commitment isn't measured by a piece of paper. Maybe the couple who decided to have a child together thought they would never break up. Look at someone like Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. They've been together for who knows how long, they've had children and they've never married. But if they split, am I supposed to look at her differently than I would the divorced mother?

Second, birth control is pretty reliable, but it doesn't come with a 100% guarantee. And while women do have the morning-after pill, that's a relatively new option that people take for granted now. Some people may have had kids before that option was there.

Third, to Skapov above, your comment that a woman can "just have an abortion" is offensive. I'm strongly pro-choice, but I don't think abortion should be used as a form of birth control. I have more respect for the woman who accidentaly gets pregnant, but takes responsibility for her actions than the woman who treats abortion as a convenient safety net whenever birth control fails.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,581,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
So what about women who don't believe in marriage? Should they be forbidden to have children? There are people out there who don't need to be married in order to be in a secure relationship. Not everyone dreams about a white wedding dress and a picket fence. As a feminist I support the fact that we all have choices, whether I agree with them or not. I'm not so presumptuous to tell people how they shouldl I've and what kind of choices they should make regarding THEIR lives.
Why is it always about what "we" want and not about what is in the best interest of the children?

Feminists have been a major part of the decline of American society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships