Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,979,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you asked....which means, regardless of you being 99% sure...your also in denial and making excuses for an unacceptable relationship...and why can't she make girl friends....
She doesnt get along well with girls, but who does? haha. Why is it unacceptable, just because he is a guy?

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,623,201 times
There is a big time apprearance of impropriety. So out of respect to you, she shouldn't be texting or meeting this guy at bars. But if you're ok with it, that's all that matters.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You're welcome

Basically I do believe men and woman CAN be friends, but it can be a slippery slope for some people. There have to be clear boundries and full disclosure with your significant other.
I agree. And now another part of the story. So my friend and his girl broke up for about 6 months at one point. After about 2 weeks of being officially broken up, she had a one night stand. Then after they had been chatting for a bit, nothing serious, she started dating this real loser. Eventually broke up with him to come back to my friend. He felt as though he was cheated on even though they were in fact broken up.

G Man

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
There is a big time apprearance of impropriety. So out of respect to you, she shouldn't be texting or meeting this guy at bars. But if you're ok with it, that's all that matters.
yeah, i think thats the thing i'm trying to understand. Why does it look improper to most people when it really isnt?

G Man

Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 PM

106 posts, read 184,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
yeah, i think thats the thing i'm trying to understand. Why does it look improper to most people when it really isnt?

G Man
I think I know why.

For anyone daring enough - and you don't even have to do this, just think about what would happen.

Men - ask your (platonic) lady friends if they have ever thought about sleeping with you.

Women - ask your (platonic) male friends if they have ever thought about sleeping with you.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 20,815,372 times
Based upon your hypothetical storyline, I'd be suspect of this other guys intentions. Most guys aren't hanging out at bars exchanging phone numbers with girls because they are looking for a new "friend" to exchange recipes with. There's more to it, and it seems your girlfriend's intentions are suspect as well. Based on your second story, I would not allow myself to remain in the relationship if she were standoffish about me meeting her new "friend" that she met in a bar, but to each their own. So long as your happy I guess.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
I agree. And now another part of the story. So my friend and his girl broke up for about 6 months at one point. After about 2 weeks of being officially broken up, she had a one night stand. Then after they had been chatting for a bit, nothing serious, she started dating this real loser. Eventually broke up with him to come back to my friend. He felt as though he was cheated on even though they were in fact broken up.

G Man
Your friend should talk to Ivorytickler

Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,677,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGUY87 View Post
It's not the fact of having men friends, but men friends you stay the night at!

Something is up with that! If I were a guy I would definatley not go for that!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:

G Man
Again, because of the potential for disaster. Sometimes where there is smoke there really is fire.

And I agree with the poster above who said the impropriaty of potential situations is just not going to be worth it in the long run.

You know, it's one thing if a girl has had a long term friendship with a guy and THEN she meets her boyfriend. It's kind of a whole other thing when a woman in a committed relationship makes a new guy "friend"

Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Based upon your hypothetical storyline, I'd be suspect of this other guys intentions. Most guys aren't hanging out at bars exchanging phone numbers with girls because they are looking for a new "friend" to exchange recipes with. There's more to it, and it seems your girlfriend's intentions are suspect as well. Based on your second story, I would not allow myself to remain in the relationship if she were standoffish about me meeting her new "friend" that she met in a bar, but to each their own. So long as your happy I guess.
I agree. The guys intentions may have been misguided. But now i have met him and he understands the situation. He has continued to hang out so maybe he was just looking for friends. He recently got out of the army and i dont think he knows a lot of people around here. I do see that the situation is unusual but that doesnt mean it is necessarily wrong.

Its not that she was standoffish about it, she wanted her "me" time and i cant really argue with that because i have plenty of that as well, especially last summer. I take multiple week long trips a year without her. I am happy.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships