Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
I don't judge you by what you drive. I am getting teased about my choices in that area, and do not understand why. I have had the same Honda CRV for 11! years. It is a mom car. Last October I ordered an orange Camaro with black hood/hockey stripes, expecting it to be delivered in a few weeks. For some reason everyone thinks I must be going through a midlife crisis (I am only 34) b/c I wanted a car with a little spunk this time?
Mid-life??? Lady - you're just beginning!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,704,331 times
This thread is full of ridiculousness. All you ladies that think you have a guy all figured out by the car he drives, are very judgmental.

I drive a Toyota Prius to work everyday. But also in my garage is $100K+ european sports car. Did I buy the sports car to impress anybody, especially women? No. I never drive it to work, and have been happily married for 9 years. Am I living beyond my means? No. I own a house, my own business, have several investments, kid's college educations are paid for, etc... In short, I am very fiscally responsible, but I love cars. I always have. Do I spend a lot of money on cars? Yes, I do. But I can afford to.

If one of you judgmental ladies would happen to pull up next to me at a stoplight early on a Sunday morning, right after I took my sports car out for a drive on my favorite road, you would incorrectly assume I am living beyond my means and am trying to be something I am not or that I am trying to over-compensate for some short-coming. Well, the truth is that some people just like cars, and can afford them.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
I always find it funny that women judge financial status by what type of car a man drives, as if you can't lease cars these days. The general idea is that the better more expensive car means the more wealth a man has. However, that could be the exact opposite. The only real thing it shows is that the man is a big spender. You could easily drop 500$ per month leasing a nice car. I know people who make decent money and live paycheck to paycheck! They send 2k on rent, 500 for the car payment, couple hundred for food and misc expenses and at the end of the day they have nothing saved up. Big hat, no cattle.

On the other hand, a man driving a beater could show that he is rather frugal and doesn't spend his money on wasteful things. That man could be significantly richer because he INVESTS his money wisely. No hat, lots of cattle.

If anything it really shows that cars as a financial indicator can be rather deceiving, yet women fall for it hook line and sinker.

Quote:
LOL
Wonder how many women passed on Bill Gate and his fabled Ford Taurus.
haha, yup. Warren buffet drives a cadillac DTS, MSRP 40k. Oh and bill gates upgraded to the 2008 ford focus, msrp 15k. Mind you, these are people who could EASILY afford 1 million+ cars.

Last edited by killer2021; 04-15-2009 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This thread is full of ridiculousness. All you ladies that think you have a guy all figured out by the car he drives, are very judgmental.

I drive a Toyota Prius to work everyday. But also in my garage is $100K+ european sports car. Did I buy the sports car to impress anybody, especially women? No. I never drive it to work, and have been happily married for 9 years. Am I living beyond my means? No. I own a house, my own business, have several investments, kid's college educations are paid for, etc... In short, I am very fiscally responsible, but I love cars. I always have. Do I spend a lot of money on cars? Yes, I do. But I can afford to.

If one of you judgmental ladies would happen to pull up next to me at a stoplight early on a Sunday morning, right after I took my sports car out for a drive on my favorite road, you would incorrectly assume I am living beyond my means and am trying to be something I am not or that I am trying to over-compensate for some short-coming. Well, the truth is that some people just like cars, and can afford them.
I KNOW you aren't talking about me! I don't believe everyone with a flashy ride is broke or trying to be a show off. I live in a very affluent area, I grew up around drag strips, collector cars and car shows, and my own brother has 28 collector cars! I too have a little something of my own in the garage.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I forgot to add that I don't believe in leasing cars. If a guy does it for a legitimate business expense, it's sort of okay. But personally, I would never lease a car. I also would never buy a brand new car. And I know too many people that are backwards in their car loans because the value of theiir car is depreciating, the interest on their loan is accumulating and they aren't paying off the loan fast enough.

I'd just like to know that my prospective date is smart with his money. He doesn't need to be wildly wealthy, but he does have to have a sound life plan and goals.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Some of us actually buy a new car and pay cash for it - no auto loan or financing necessary.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

I don't care if you can afford a $100,000 car. I still think it's impractical to spend that much money on one. Now if I had that kind of money, I am certain that there will be people who don't approve of how I spend it either. Different strokes for different folks.

*shrugs*

Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM

I spend several tens of thousands of dollars every year on ballroom dance and competitions and all that goes with it. I KNOW there are a bunch of people who don't approve of what I do, how I choose to spend my money. But ya know what??? I just say F#@% 'em!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM

550 posts, read 1,215,163 times
I drive an old rather dirty(always dirty even when I recently washed it for some reason) volvo 740 GL from 1988.
If I won a gazzilion dollars tomorrow, I wouldn't buy a flashier car, I'd buy a repair-shop and a couple of other volvos to take spare parts from, and then have a good mechanic dismantle and put together the engine together with me and teach some tricks so I could work on it myslef from then on :P

It's not the fastest car, it's not exactly flashy, but hell I guess I just love my old volvo :P

Does that say anything about me?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM

167 posts, read 478,720 times
2SS. RS trim. IOM interior. Ordered everything inside but sunroof and hurst shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
camaro eh? what package? standard? 1SS? 2SS? RS trim? I'm curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships