Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The most unsexy car is the PT Cruiser LOL!!! Who's with me on that one?? huh huh...haaa
You mean the PT Loser? Like this one???

YouTube - Bum fights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:01 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You mean the PT Loser? Like this one???

YouTube - Bum fights
Gee, all it USED to take to get a warm bed with 3 squares a day was a little shop lifting.

One October, Charlie parked himself in front of the chicken cooker in the supermarket and ate until they hauled him off. Snow was almost gone when he needed to panhandle again!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Truthfully judging people, even the extent of their wealth by what they drive is very shallow and therefore erroneous.
Very true. However, I think you can judge the type of women an expensive car attracts far better than the men who drive them. The shallow, vacuous, gold digging types are easy to spot. Drive something practical and they are also easy to avoid, although, them may say some nasty things. Sometimes, even to your face.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Also, I spent most of my life in Southern California, and men who drive big, black trucks are more often than not gigantic a-holes, judging by the way they drive. I don't see nearly as many trucks where I live now (Chicago suburbs), so I think it's a regional thing.
Around here, big trucks are generally considered "shagging wagons". Young guys buy (or more likely leases) them to work in the patch. They never actually go the the work site with them (they buy a beater for that or share a ride) so they are shiny new, with no scratches from tool kits. However, they are great for the days off, when they go to the nearby towns. "Seventeen" to 20 year old girls are very scarce in such places and reserve their favors for a man with a massive pickup. It shows he's "arrived".

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM

Default "they can genuinely afford it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Around here (where I live) if someone drives a Ferrari, they aren't driving it to be showy - they can genuinely afford it, and chances are - they have a whole stable of Ferraris, Lambos, etc.
How do you know?

I have a friend who, by age 18, had owned as many cars (4) as I have owned in my 30 years of driving. The way he tells it, he's owned dozens. Two years ago, he had 4 - three in his garage, a BMW, a Mercedes (full size), an Audi and a full size Buick for his wife to do the dirty chores.

Approaching 60, disaster strikes and he loses his high paying job. Now he needs to be a real estate agent to keep the wolf from the door. "Prosperity" is often an empty shell.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,224 times
My SO has a tendency to buy old used cars for a few hundred bucks, fix em up a little and drive 'em for a year or so until they die. He seems to like doing this so long as he gets his money's worth. (His motorcycles, however, he likes in much better shape.) And he tries to make sure he has at least two available vehicles in case one of them craps the bed. I think part of the reason he buys cheap used vehicles is because he just likes to tinker with them. He grumbles and complains when something goes wrong with one of his vehicles, but I know he's happy when he's crawling around under it and working under the hood, getting covered in a nice layer or two of grease and dirt.

My ex, last I checked, has been driving the same shiny 2005 Hyundai since he got it. He's still making payments on it, he can't keep a job and his parents have had to bail him out multiple times to help him keep his car. He's irresponsible, and wouldn't be caught dead "tinkering" with anything under the hood, let alone getting dirty climbing underneath it (never mind the fact he doesn't know the first thing about vehicles).

I don't know if that means anything, but situations like these have helped me gain a little insight to the male brain (or so I like to think).

Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 AM

141 posts, read 284,962 times
With the worst experience with a Mercedes SL guy, I would say all the fancy sporty models imply tendency of manipulation. And then the comfortable, stable higher-end compact models imply practicality, which is a good quality. And finally the hybrids implies like-mindedness, the kind of guys I would actually want to go out with.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciosa001264 View Post
I think the most obvious one is how clean he his/how on top of taking care of things he is: if his oil change sticker is 7 months outdated, well then he might be one of those guys you have to remind to pay bills, etc all the time. If his car's a mess, then his house likely is to. I'm sure there are other things to, but that's just what I notice. It's always a good sign if he has a gym bag in the back too, wink wink.
What about the woman who is perpetually broke, yet has $14 in change on the floor amongst the garbage?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciosa001264 View Post
I'm sure there are other things to, but that's just what I notice. It's always a good sign if he has a gym bag in the back too, wink wink.
Will he sell you the pot it contains, at cost?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
If he is politically left, his car will be simple reliable transportation---his car will be a useful tool, not a fun toy. It will probably be a Japanese import, and probably bought second-hand. If he is politically right, he will drive an American make, and it will be important for him to have a new one frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Ludicrous. Not even worth a response.
Generally true, but around here, many RW types like their Toyota Tundras too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships