Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. Hysterically. It's THAT small.
I'm only kidding you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Truthfully judging people, even the extent of their wealth by what they drive is very shallow and therefore erroneous.
Nice to see rationality make an appearance in this thread.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm only kidding you.
Does this mean we get to hug it out?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,751 times
Quote:
Nice to see rationality make an appearance in this thread.
I must be having a good day. Because rationality is usually not one of my strong points.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Does this mean we get to hug it out?
As long as it's a shoulder-to-shoulder guy hug. A slap on the back and a hearty handshake would work even better though.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
As long as it's a shoulder-to-shoulder guy hug. A slap on the back and a hearty handshake would work even better though.
Aw, give him a break.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Wow some of you are way off on the personality traits attached to a flashy sports car. I grew up a gear head. All the men in my family were muscle car nuts. We were rebuilding engines and painting cars all the time. I have had a deep love for driving performance vehicles since I could start a car. I now drive an Infiniti G37 2 door Coupe Journey. It is a luxury vehicle but is built on the same platform as the Nissan 370Z. I have put a ton of money into under the hood mods, tires, exhaust, spoiler. It is flashy as hell faster than the Porsche Cayman and including mods 40k less. So yes I did go flashy and sporty but I picked an economical version.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow, for being one of the more liberal / "gotta love everybody" posters on this sub-forum, that list of "shoulds" is pretty long!

The two I take exception to are the manual/auto trans distinction and the car's "ethnic origins." If you've ever cut a quick left onto oncoming traffic while learning how to drive a manual, barely making it, or being stopped on a nasty hill in San Francisco, then you will kiss the ground and say "amen" to automatic transmissions - besides, you can eat or drink more readily when in an automatic equipped car.

I have always driven a domestic car (with the exception of a Fiat and a Toyota we once had as a kid as second cars, both of which were terrrible) and plan to drive domestics as long as I breathe and drive. Taken care of correctly, a reliable American brand vehicle will turn over 200,000 miles.
See... I'm really really into my cars. I don't know any other woman that is into her cars the way I am. Even my family thinks my opinions on cars are... well special. I have a stick shift Civic hatch with over 380K miles on it. I really love to drive. I could never own an automatic transmission car. I don't believe in multitasking while driving a car (like drinking, eating and talking on a cell phone). When driving a car, one's full attention needs to be on driving and nothing else! I don't even like driving and having a passenger in my car, that's how serious I am about my driving. And I hate bad drivers and distracted drivers with a passion. I could never date a man that I thought was a bad driver. Anyway, I want my man to understand and be on my same wavelength when it comes to cars and driving.

Other cars I think are cool are E30 BMW's and Toyota Celica All Tracs. Old Saab and Volvo wagons are also neat to me. I just don't like any American company cars... it's just a personal taste thing. I love the way my Honda dashboard is set up. I hate that on Dodge Caravans, you can't squirt windshield wiper fluid independently of the wipers. Just as I only buy Bounty paper towels and no other brand of them.

With an automatic transmission, I don't like my car to decide when wants to shift. And when they need to be rebuilt, they never feel as good as when they were brand new.

BTW I've driven in S.F. with my stick shift cars and dealing with steep hills is no big deal to me. But Honda clutches are soft and easy to shift.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
See... I'm really really into my cars. I don't know any other woman that is into her cars the way I am. Even my family thinks my opinions on cars are... well special. I have a stick shift Civic hatch with over 380K miles on it. I really love to drive. I could never own an automatic transmission car. I don't believe in multitasking while driving a car (like drinking, eating and talking on a cell phone). When driving a car, one's full attention needs to be on driving and nothing else! I don't even like driving and having a passenger in my car, that's how serious I am about my driving. And I hate bad drivers and distracted drivers with a passion. I could never date a man that I thought was a bad driver. Anyway, I want my man to understand and be on my same wavelength when it comes to cars and driving.

Other cars I think are cool are E30 BMW's and Toyota Celica All Tracs. Old Saab and Volvo wagons are also neat to me. I just don't like any American company cars... it's just a personal taste thing. I love the way my Honda dashboard is set up. I hate that on Dodge Caravans, you can't squirt windshield wiper fluid independently of the wipers. Just as I only buy Bounty paper towels and no other brand of them.

With an automatic transmission, I don't like my car to decide when wants to shift. And when they need to be rebuilt, they never feel as good as when they were brand new.

BTW I've driven in S.F. with my stick shift cars and dealing with steep hills is no big deal to me. But Honda clutches are soft and easy to shift.
So what you're really telling us is that you're a major league control freak. I mean, that's totally cool and I respect that. Just don't ride in my Honda Odyssey.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
My Schlumberger coworker drove a Lexus but he could only afford a $900 Giant OCR Road Bike.
My Jacobs Proe Designer coworker bought a $50,000 base model used Porsche 911 but he's got credit card debts...
I worked at Pentair and my engineer coworkers drove old cars but had money to burn on the good things in life...

I drive and buy used cars so I have money to burn on good stuff like a $5800 Cervelo Carbon Fiber Road Bike with Zipp 404 wheels. My 7 road, 2 mtn, and 9 bmx bikes cost around $30,000. Then I buy expensive laptops, build nice custom computers, enjoy good food, etc... - all because I don't spend money on just looking good while driving that Porsche or BMW.

I drive a 1993 Mazda MX6LS V6 [toy sports car], 1999 Honda Civic HX M/T [classic 51mpg hwy fuel efficient car], and a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport [family and cargo hauler]. I do want a nice used BMW 330Ci for $10,000 to $14,000 though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships