Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It isn't the car itself that matters. It's the condition in which he keeps it.

As far as the make of the car is concerned, it's really a non-issue, with a definitive bias against the extravagant vehicle. As an example, I remember is the headline I once saw for a Porsche 911 ad: "Small Penis? Have I Got The Car For You!"
I have last year's model, purchased brand new, of a mid-line GM mid-size sports sedan with mechanical components that have been unchanged in years. Besides the great discounts/rebates, I also got to cash in a bunch of points on a GM sponsored credit card which made the final price look like a dollar mistake. I optioned up to the nicer bucket seats with the console and nicer alloy wheels.

I still have its predecessor car (same make and model), which is now over a dozen years old and looks damn near new, to take to the transit station.

Funny, cpg, some people out West have dubbed the Dodge Ram truck with the cavernous grille as a "P.E." (penis extender), since every construction dude who drives one and has the construction box in the back works very hard at pushing the "alpha" factor to the hilt. There is no nastier set of wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Yeah, there was an expression in L.A., a city where most people have to get in their car to pick up a morning paper, that said to the effect, "In L.A. people drive their wealth." I guess that's still true to a certain extent, even in these downsizing times. I remember a typical Valley Girl type once said to me, as if it were the single most perceptive idea she'd ever conjured, "Like, yeah, you can really tell a lot about a person, by you know like, the kind of car that he drives. You know?"

I think at the time I was driving a Toyota, though she didn't know that. And at the time I thought, 'you can tell a helluva lot more about a person by the shoes he has on, or better yet by the music he listens to or what he reads or how he treats clerks and waiters, preferences that cost a lot less if anything at all. How many of us can afford to drive exactly what we want to drive, or how much importance does one put on what he drives?

I drive a much nicer car now, but I'd have to be a near billionaire to rationalize spending 80 grand on a car the way some people do. Truthfully judging people, even the extent of their wealth by what they drive is very shallow and therefore erroneous.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I wouldn't date a man who drove any of the following:

1. Anything that looked like it wanted to be in The Fast and the Furious
2. A lowered truck, particularly a lowered big truck, and even more particularly a lowered "dualie" truck
3. A truck painted to match the toy hauler, jetskis and boat

Owners of these cars have very different priorities than I do.

Also, I spent most of my life in Southern California, and men who drive big, black trucks are more often than not gigantic a-holes, judging by the way they drive. I don't see nearly as many trucks where I live now (Chicago suburbs), so I think it's a regional thing.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-14-2009 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Typo: I do NOT say "differnt"

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Ladys what can you tell ab out a man, by the kind of car he chooses to drive? Is he a neat freak, country boy, etc etc....
Well, you can't even tell financial status. People have been known to buy more car than they can afford. When I lived in Detroit, it was common for people to have more in what was parked in their driveway than in their house. Of course, houses were cheap in the city.

I think you can tell by the way someone keeps their car whether or not they're a neat freak but that's about it. Type of car probably reflects personality.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
I am not impressed by the car a guy chooses to drive. I'll also let the guys in on a big secret - we women can tell when you are driving a car above your means. I know many, many adult men who drive a fancy car and live with their parents or in a studio apartment on the wrong side of town.

Pfft. Anyone who uses a type of car to determine anything about another person is not someone I would want to have anything to do with. It's one thing if the car is an older model or median priced, and another if it is dirty and in disrepair.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I prefer a man who drives a manual transmission car. It should be a car that handles well. He should be a good driver and one that doesn't talk on a cell phone while driving. The car should be well maintained and clean inside and out. There should be no bling or ricer mods on his car. Depending on his income level, the car should not be a luxury car or one that uses most of his paycheck. No trucks or SUVs unless he has a farm or a ranch.

If his car is one of the older ones that I love, and it's well maintained, extra bonus points for him!! Points taken away for owning an American marque car, especially a Mustang or Corvette. Negative points for a VW or Audi, unless it's an old Audi Quattro.

I also admire a guy that knows what's going on under the hood of his car.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I prefer a man who drives a manual transmission car. It should be a car that handles well. He should be a good driver and one that doesn't talk on a cell phone while driving. The car should be well maintained and clean inside and out. There should be no bling or ricer mods on his car. Depending on his income level, the car should not be a luxury car or one that uses most of his paycheck. No trucks or SUVs unless he has a farm or a ranch.

If his car is one of the older ones that I love, and it's well maintained, extra bonus points for him!! Points taken away for owning an American marque car, especially a Mustang or Corvette. Negative points for a VW or Audi, unless it's an old Audi Quattro.

I also admire a guy that knows what's going on under the hood of his car.
Wow, for being one of the more liberal / "gotta love everybody" posters on this sub-forum, that list of "shoulds" is pretty long!

The two I take exception to are the manual/auto trans distinction and the car's "ethnic origins." If you've ever cut a quick left onto oncoming traffic while learning how to drive a manual, barely making it, or being stopped on a nasty hill in San Francisco, then you will kiss the ground and say "amen" to automatic transmissions - besides, you can eat or drink more readily when in an automatic equipped car.

I have always driven a domestic car (with the exception of a Fiat and a Toyota we once had as a kid as second cars, both of which were terrrible) and plan to drive domestics as long as I breathe and drive. Taken care of correctly, a reliable American brand vehicle will turn over 200,000 miles.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow, for being one of the more liberal / "gotta love everybody" posters on this sub-forum, that list of "shoulds" is pretty long!

The two I take exception to are the manual/auto trans distinction and the car's "ethnic origins." If you've ever cut a quick left onto oncoming traffic while learning how to drive a manual, barely making it, or being stopped on a nasty hill in San Francisco, then you will kiss the ground and say "amen" to automatic transmissions - besides, you can eat or drink more readily when in an automatic equipped car.

I have always driven a domestic car (with the exception of a Fiat and a Toyota we once had as a kid as second cars, both of which were terrrible) and plan to drive domestics as long as I breathe and drive. Taken care of correctly, a reliable American brand vehicle will turn over 200,000 miles.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. If you live in really hilly terrain, manual transmissions are a serious pain. Great if you're in Kansas, mind you. But I'd rather not have my transmission fall out on the road after 50,000 miles because I drive up and down 15-20 degree slopes all day.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM

60 posts, read 128,769 times
If it runs, I'm content. If it breaks down once in a while, I'll drive myself.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You mean you laugh at your sexual performance?
Yes. Hysterically. It's THAT small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships