Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM

16 posts, read 26,336 times

Advertisements

Does your SO want an Open Relationship but you don't?

One of my friends is currently going through this very situation. His SO (6+yrs together) ran into an old boyfriend and passions got inflamed - no sex yet but both parties are interested in being intimate.

His SO told him the details and that she wanted an open relationship where she could spend time for relations with the old bf but promised to return to him. And he could do the same with anyone he wanted as long as he returned to her.

If he tried to prevent her, it could drive her away. Because he loved her, he agreed to the situation.

I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else? How would you handle such a situation? Would you leave or agree to your SO's request?
Would it be end of the relationship?

I have read quite a bit of threads on this forum, and I know some of the views is that "Open Relationship" is another way of saying that the person wants permission to have an affair. So can we skip over those comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
An open relationship has to be a mutual decision. If one person says, "I want to have sex with other people, and if you say no that will just drive me away," and the other person just goes along with it, that's a very bad idea.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
If someone I loved asked for an open relationship I'd go open the door for them and say, Sure, there you go. Go.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,358,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
If someone I loved asked for an open relationship I'd go open the door for them and say, Sure, there you go. Go.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 26,336 times
Actually, I am not sure to what extent my friend and his SO discussed the situation. I just got a quick summary of the situation. I am in agreement with you too JustJulia. It is hard to walk away from a 6year relationship.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM

788 posts, read 4,069,081 times
I'd be out the door, but not before a swift knee to his crotch.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
My ex-husband pulled this on me. There's a reason he's an ex.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM

461 posts, read 923,122 times
I would never agree to an open-relationship, it'd ruin all the intimacy for me.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsi1988 View Post
Does your SO want an Open Relationship but you don't?
Seems to me this is one of the big "ground rules" that a couple has to go over and agree upon BEFORE they commit/marry. Most folks aren't OK with open relationships, but some are. 'Whatever makes you happy' is my thought.

But agreeing to an exclusive arrangement and then one of the parties saying "I want a different deal" -- and the other person in the committed relationship not being happy about this new arrangement -- seems problematic to me. It has obviously been done (see, for example: : : : J E N N Y B L O C K : : :), but it seems like very tricky business.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
I personally think it is a complete joke.

If you want to go and bang as many people as possible, why bother to be in a serious relationship in the first place? Seems like it would make things a heck of alot easier. Besides being single is alot more fun anyways

Quote:
I'd be out the door, but not before a swift knee to his crotch.
That is domestic violence and it is AGAINST the law. No one should be hitting anyone, regardless of gender. Shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships