Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM

168 posts, read 378,587 times

Advertisements

Im just not into Rap, sorry. Thats the only music im not really into, and my musical tastes are very eclectic but if she likes the bagpipes then its a super duper duper plus in my book as its my favorite music lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I tend to listen to alot of house/deep-soulful house and most women I have met say that my image and my musical taste don't match which makes it easier for them to want to date me.
What does this mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateclosingon40 View Post
I am a huge Jimmy Buffett fan, and I would love to meet a woman who was really into the Parrothead lifestyle...but in this case it's really more a state of mind that the music represents, than the music itself.

Paul
We would be a match made in hell then lol. I used to live in Key West. We had a margharittaville ....*chokes self*

But, I do agree that music scenes can be a lifestyle. I've dated one man that wasn't into music or my scenes. It was a very cerebral relationship, which I enjoyed, but we were too different in the end. So, I wouldn't date anyone because of music, but most of my relationships have been with people that are into the same things I am.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateclosingon40 View Post
I am a huge Jimmy Buffett fan, and I would love to meet a woman who was really into the Parrothead lifestyle...but in this case it's really more a state of mind that the music represents, than the music itself.

Paul
Ok, clue me in - what is the Parrothead lifestyle. It sounds intriguing to say the least.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,410 times
Solely based on music? No. However, a man who listens to almost anything and everything (like I do) or is open to all genres would get my attention faster, and possibly hold it longer -- at least at first lol -- than a man who only listens to one or two types of music.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Music is a big deal to me, too, and my tastes in music are rather eclectic. So, if we shared a love of some of the same genre's, I'd probably give it a try even if she was a complete mess. (if I found someone who was as much of a fan of Buddy Holly, Leo Kottke, and Alan Lomax as I am, I'd already be half-way in love with them.)

My favorite artist of all time is Buddy Holly. In fact, the first phrase I EVER said to my current fiancee was 'Wow, you look a lot like Buddy Holly...' And he does

I was an out of work musician for a while and I dated a lot of guys based solely on the fact that they made music. You have to be a 'different' type of person to create music, regardless of what genre it is, and that is what I was attracted to.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
I was a radio and T.V. major in college, so I can listen to and appreciate just about ANY style of music except Country. Being African American I'm already a big NASCAR fan, so I can't overdo it. I also get tired of trying to explain to my kids and sometimes my wife that the song they are listening to has a melody sampled from ANOTHER song that came out 30 years ago. My Wife also likes (loves)Country music, but I don't hold that against her. She keeps asking me to take her to a country music concert, but I told her that my love for NASCAR only allows for us as an African American family to participate in only one non stereotyped event per decade.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 PM

98 posts, read 478,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

We would be a match made in hell then lol. I used to live in Key West. We had a margharittaville ....*chokes self*

But, I do agree that music scenes can be a lifestyle. I've dated one man that wasn't into music or my scenes. It was a very cerebral relationship, which I enjoyed, but we were too different in the end. So, I wouldn't date anyone because of music, but most of my relationships have been with people that are into the same things I am.
I love Key West, but don't like Margaritaville...I'd much rather go to Louie's, or the Schooner Wharf

Paul

Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Just a question, I could as long as it was not religious music 24/7, but then again the women I date are quite the opposite of the religious type.

I tend to listen to alot of house/deep-soulful house and most women I have met say that my image and my musical taste don't match which makes it easier for them to want to date me.
Hmm..a strange question at first, but then I gave it some thought, and to be honest, I've dated a couple of men, where their "image...didn't match their musical taste" but, there's that, something in common factor, that makes you want to look deeper. However, not to hijack your thread, but I will not date anyone, or spend any significant amount of time, with anyone, who isn't into classical jazz. Forget it. You can like, all kinds of music, but jazz better be in there somewhere, or else, it won't work. For the record, I started off liking jazz when I was in highschool, where most of my counterparts were like, "it's so repetitious..boring, it puts me to sleep.." blah blah..

Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I may NOT be around somebody based on the music they listen to. Rap and hip-hop being played all day - I'm out of there. Then again, to me musical preferences have a lot to do with personalities and lifestyle, so I'm not likely to be attracted to such a person to begin with. I has never happened and I don't believe it ever will.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 PM

98 posts, read 478,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ok, clue me in - what is the Parrothead lifestyle. It sounds intriguing to say the least.

20yrsinBranson
OK, I'm not sure how to do this in 400 words or less. Here's the short version, at least for me

It really is about a state of mind. Buffett's music is about escapism, pure and simple. Go to the beach. Don't take life, or yourself, too seriously. Enjoy simple pleasures: A rum drink, a hammock, a good book. Wear Hawiian shirts. Drive a convertible. Laugh a lot. Be silly. Help others.

Work when you must, party when you can, don't be afraid to dream and try to live out those dreams.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships