Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,193,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Sort of the opposite of demonizing...
Maybe rationalizing?

But I think among women, it is a status symbol to be married. You can hear that sigh of relief in their voice that they are taken and aren't alone. It is more about being married, than who they are married to, because they talk about being married, rather than "being married to Joe".

I don't know, I never fit into all of that. I have to do things for the quality of it, rather than the surface act. I would rather be single than compromise myself. That's not about being picky.

But I really believe a lot of women force a guy to marry them because they think they deserve it after "putting in time" with him over so many years...I have heard some talk like this. I wouldn't want a guy to marry me out of obligation or duress. No way...I'd want him to marry me because he wanted me, and vice versa.
Oh, I don't doubt this happens. If you think your rationalizing the other half, possibly, but you may not be exposed to it.

I think if you asked, most will also breathe a sigh of relief in the relationships when they're happy. Dating is not usually most people's idea of 'fun'.

Don't get me wrong, "the chase" during those first stages of the first kiss, etc have excitement merit, but you have to go through so much perfunctory nonsense to get to it....Then being a bastard if things don't look like they're going to match up right, or not really clicking with her, or any of the other reasons why you have to be the bad guy...

Yeah, no spank you, can't wait to find one of the "good ones" for me and remove myself from the annoyance.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,039,417 times
http://gallicwars.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/rihanna-mobo-awards-822-1.jpg (broken link)

I think some women can pull it off. It takes confidence to wear your crown short.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,917,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have longish hair. It's a little past my shoulders. I had it cut into a cool asymmetrical bob a couple of years ago, and I had some highlights put it, but I really hate using the blow dryer, straightener and lots of product in my hair. You're right: I don't have an hour (or $200) to spend on my hair. I let it grow out, and it air dries now.
Yep! The more you do to your hair, the more you have to do, AND the more it costs! I find, particularly with highlights that you're back at the hairdresser every 6 weeks to have the regrowth re done AND for me I need to make sure it gets trimmed then as well because highlights tend to make me more prone to split ends AND because the highlights can dry the hair out I have to make sure to add serums and stuff to the hair to keep it sleek AND I have to blow dry once the serum is in otherwise I end up with a greasy looking mess. It starts running into a lot of time and money.
I have to say that as I've gotten older I'm finding I'm less and less interested in investing the time and money to maintain a "do". Which is why I quit with the highlights and the complicated style, went from light to dark and most days just wash it and let it air dry. Except for the fringe! That thing has contributed to a greater portion of the hours of my life being wasted!

Quote:
Someone wrote something about married people being busy and not being able to keep up long hair...I don't think being busy has anything to do with being married. I am single, and I am quite busy. I don't have someone to help me with chores, I have to do it all here.
Yep and I wasn't suggesting that single people aren't busy, I was simply saying that a lot of women have to make adaptations to their beauty regimes (including their hair) when they're married because they work, and keep house, and cook and look after children and their priorities and finances shift. When you're single you look after you, your finances are generally your own to do with what you so desire so you usually only have to consider yourself and when you're married you're looking after more than you, finances can also change in that you may have a duel income but also have mortgages and children and many women no longer want or are able to spend the time or money to invest in themselves.
I don't think it's only married women this happens with, I've also seen it happen with women in caregiver roles or those who do not have large disposable incomes. It wasn't meant to be a slight against single women simply another explanation as to what you were initially asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm not sure I know what you mean by the hairpiece thingy. I do know that if I pull it all up into a ponytail on top of my head, or the partial ponytail Chow calls the "fountain head," my scalp will get so sore, like the hairs aren't used to going in that direction or something...
It was kinda like this:

Demi Ezi Fit Hairpiece [C1203] : Wigs @ ufimart.com, Wigs, costume wigs, afros, sport supporters wigs, bob wigs, china dolls, hairpieces, human hair wigs, cancer patient wigs

You'd concrete your hair back into a tight bun and then put this curly half wig/hairpiece thing on top. You sit it on your bun and then draw it around the bun with a thick piece of elastic that was threaded through the mesh underside of the wig. Once you'd drawn it over the bun you then wind the elastic around and around the base of the bun and with each wind you could feel you face being pulled backwards!

The underside of it looked like this EXCEPT instead of those clip things there was elastic threaded through the edges of that mesh bit.

Add On Human Hair - Hairpiece [C1230] : Wigs @ ufimart.com, Wigs, costume wigs, afros, sport supporters wigs, bob wigs, china dolls, hairpieces, human hair wigs, cancer patient wigs

So yeah, like your Fountain Head but then pulled even tighter by the elastic holding on the head piece! I always competed with a headache!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 PM

19,461 posts, read 15,307,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It was kinda like this:

Demi Ezi Fit Hairpiece [C1203] : Wigs @ ufimart.com, Wigs, costume wigs, afros, sport supporters wigs, bob wigs, china dolls, hairpieces, human hair wigs, cancer patient wigs

You'd concrete your hair back into a tight bun and then put this curly half wig/hairpiece thing on top. You sit it on your bun and then draw it around the bun with a thick piece of elastic that was threaded through the mesh underside of the wig. Once you'd drawn it over the bun you then wind the elastic around and around the base of the bun and with each wind you could feel you face being pulled backwards!

The underside of it looked like this EXCEPT instead of those clip things there was elastic threaded through the edges of that mesh bit.

Add On Human Hair - Hairpiece [C1230] : Wigs @ ufimart.com, Wigs, costume wigs, afros, sport supporters wigs, bob wigs, china dolls, hairpieces, human hair wigs, cancer patient wigs

So yeah, like your Fountain Head but then pulled even tighter by the elastic holding on the head piece! I always competed with a headache!
Okay, I see what you mean now. Wow. Good riddance to those, huh?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,917,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Okay, I see what you mean now. Wow. Good riddance to those, huh?
If it hadn't cost so much, when I stopped calisthenics (partly because I wasn't interested in that kind of head trauma on a regular basis!), I'd have held a ceremonial bon fire for the thing!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,154,143 times
Quote:
But I have noticed most of the women I see who are married have short hair.
That doesn't mean they had short hair when they married. Chances are, they got married, had kids, and now they just don't want to bother with long hair. Short hair is seen as "low maintenance".

Although, I never understood why many women think short hair is easier...once you can't get it into a pony tail, you always have to hope for a good hair day....

Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM

37,518 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW
Don't men want to run their fingers through their womans hair? Isn't that more sexy for a man than running his fingers through her buzz cut? :-)
That would make sense.

I think that I would like to do that [the long hair part, not the buzz cut part].

Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,034,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
That doesn't mean they had short hair when they married. Chances are, they got married, had kids, and now they just don't want to bother with long hair. Short hair is seen as "low maintenance".

Although, I never understood why many women think short hair is easier...once you can't get it into a pony tail, you always have to hope for a good hair day....
EXACTLY! Long hair is MUCH easier. You can do a French braid or regular braid while it's still wet after shampooing. Easy! Or I just use a hot air curling brush on mine to direct the waves where I want them to go, LOL. It takes 5 minutes.

SHORT hair is a whole lot of work if you don't want to look either disheveled or like a lesbian! When my hair was short, I'd have to spend a lot of time with a curling iron so it would look pretty, wavy, and full. Not something I wanted to do at 6 a.m. every day.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
EXACTLY! Long hair is MUCH easier. You can do a French braid or regular braid while it's still wet after shampooing. Easy! Or I just use a hot air curling brush on mine to direct the waves where I want them to go, LOL. It takes 5 minutes.
That's provided you have waves to direct, dear!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,526,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

SHORT hair is a whole lot of work if you don't want to look either disheveled or like a lesbian! When my hair was short, I'd have to spend a lot of time with a curling iron so it would look pretty, wavy, and full. Not something I wanted to do at 6 a.m. every day.

Orangepineapple and Teatime,

I agree...it is as if the Man-Hair is somehow obligatory or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships